Dry fire practice, DO IT - it works! (a little long)

This is a discussion on Dry fire practice, DO IT - it works! (a little long) within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, having finally made the decision to get into IDPA (first match tomorrow morning) I decided I really wanted to work on my accuracy and ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By miller_man
  • 1 Post By BobbyLee
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By BugDude

Thread: Dry fire practice, DO IT - it works! (a little long)

Distinguished Member

Well, having finally made the decision to get into IDPA (first match tomorrow morning) I decided I really wanted to work on my accuracy and get my trigger pull down pat, to the point where I can make the correct trigger pull every time WITHOUT having to concentrate on doing so. So for the last 3 weeks, while I've getting the few last items needed (paddle holster, mag carriers and extra mags) I also made a commitment to dry fire practice EVERY night for at least 10-15 minutes, but it always ended up being 30+.

At first, I mainly focused on keeping the front sight perfectly still while I slowly squeezed and broke the trigger. I really learned how to squeeze the trigger straight back. At first I had to keep just the tip of my finger on the trigger pad to achieve this, which wasn't a problem at home with dry fire. Well, I have kept up my weekly range trips as well, and the first week with live fire I found out something that first frustrated me. When I would fire my first shot, it was beautiful, right on target and I felt like I was finally REALLY learning how to shoot . . . BUT with the recoil from the round fired my finger would be moved some from that perfect position. My follow up shots were back to my old ways of off a tad to the left. And yes, I was keeping my finger pressed and using the trigger reset, I would actually do better to take my finger off and put it back in the right spot, that's when I knew I didn't have it yet. Also my one hand shots were still hit or miss (doing both left and right).

So for my second week of dry fire practice I focused on just putting my finger in the position it ended up in with live fire (also this is where my finger naturally wanted to land on the trigger, I think that is also part of the reason it went there with live fire, my hand just wanted that finger there, lol). And again really started to focus on getting the perfect trigger pulls with my finger in this position also. After about the second night, it just started to click and I was getting the perfect pulls, and over the next few nights I began to work on getting these consistent pulls with my finger in different positions - whole lot of finger, little bit of finger, high, low ect. and wouldn't you know, I had finally trained myself to just squeeze straight back! Also, this whole time I was working with two hand - right AND left hand, and one hand right + left hand. And, this is where I also started to see very consistent trigger pulls with my one hand pulls. Being able to keep that front sight perfectly still with one hand isn't easy. Well, this 2nd week range trip was one of my best ones yet. I felt like I couldn't miss! My follow up shots were all consistent and even though my finger bounced around a little it didn't matter, I could still get the correct squeeze. I amazed myself with my one handed shooting, and there wasn't much difference between left or right hand. Now I'm not saying I'm some amazing shooter now. No, I can't make a perfect quarter size hole every time @ 10 yrds, but I can get VERY consisten groups 2-4 inches out to around 10 + yrds. And for me, with defensive and IDPA shooting in mind - I'm happy, happy happy. And I still need to work on speed but from what I gather that will come.

Now I had to keep it up for the third week (this week), but honestly with all the progress and awesome range trips I LOVE DRY FIRE practice now. Well, this whole time I had been using my EDC (my only glock) for all this dry fire practice and unloading every night was getting old. So somewhere in the second week, I decided it was time for a second glock - I have known I need a G19, doesn't everybody? So after watching armslist for a week straight -this past weekend I landed this gen 4 G19 NIB, never fired for a great price - and my favorite, no tax or BG fee 006.jpg (486.9 KB)

Well, dry fire practice with my new glock was great, but I did notice a VERY little difference in the two triggers - the 19 had just a tad more take up before the break, and the reset was VERY strong making my finger pop just a tad past the reset point. I really noticed this with my one hand shots, I would almost have to stage the trigger, just a slow squeeze up to the break point, then squeeze a little more for the break. I hadn't put any rounds throught it, so I figured maybe it was just cause it was brand new. Well I took it to the range yesterday, and found out - who cares about a SLIGHT difference in the trigger - my finger sure didn't! Another great range trip, with some really great follow up shots with the trigger reset - and I do have to admit, the 19 IS better for follow up shots than my 23, just less recoil to deal with - do I care? Nope, still gonna carry the 23 and shoot it just fine, but I do have to admit that the 19 takes the cake on that one. Here's a pic (white paper w/orange tape) of some first shot and two follow up shots at about 7 yards - pretty sweet groups in my book!009.jpg - the boxes above/below with some spread out holes were out @ 25 yrds, still gotta work on the longer distances, lol.

So all in all, I used to just dry fire practice maybe once a week, with no real intentions or focus - NO MORE! Guys you can improve your shooting SO MUCH without burning ammo with some dedicated, focused trigger time with dry fire practice. I have also been working on drawing and getting on target really quick and getting that crisp trigger pull with no sight movement, and slowly been able to speed it up little by little. I have also been working on moving from target to target and getting a fast sight picture and trigger break once on target. Just a ton of great things you can work on, without ammo that will improve your skills greatly. I continue to dry fire AT LEAST every other night, if not every night from now on - too valuable not to.
    Attached Images
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Great post. Dry fire is One of the best and cheapest training and safest you can do. I have the crimson trace and train with and without it in side and outside weather permitting. I practice draw, move and draw, draw and move, multiple targets, moving targets, all with trigger pull.
    ccw9mm likes this.

The more you dry fire that G19, the trigger pull/reset should smooth out a bit more. I have little want for a 4th gen Glock since I'm happy with what's left of my 3rd gen Glocks over the years. I started in IPSC almost six years ago with an early two pin model 3rd gen G17 . Not that familiar with the internal changes they made with the 4th other than recoil springs.
    Indeed....dry firing is very good practice. Glock pistols make that easy.
    Good luck and have fun at tomorrow's match.

I have been working alot of hours and by the time I get out of work the range is closed, Being new to cc and not ever doing many drills other then drawing from holster and just static shooting. Ive really been thinking about starting dry fire practice. Wondering if you could point me in some basic dry fire drills to start with? So I can get the basics down then move to reload drills and faster drills etc

Fantastic - you now shoot better than 90% of shooters. Keep it up and you'll soon be able to lay the gun down for months at a time (not that you want to) and pick up right where you left off.

Keep it up and you'll soon be able to lay the gun down for months at a time (not that you want to) and pick up right where you left off.
    Well... not so sure about that; shooting, unlike riding a bicycle, is a perishable skill.

I don't do enough dry firing, but when I do, the benefits are noticeable. Also, you don't have to confine your dry-fire practice to trigger work (although that's at the top of the list); mag changes are another area that benefit from a lot of 'dry' practice, especially for us single-stack folks. And because I shoot mostly single stack, I actually spend a little more time practicing speed reloads than I do dry-firing. With a crisp trigger on a 1911, my bigger disadvantage is having to reload more often than anybody else with automatics, so I emphasize that more in dry practice.

And because I'm the Master of the Obvious, let me emphasize that you should remove ALL live ammo from your dry-fire practice area, AND remember Rule Two - never let your muzzle cross anything you're not willing to destroy.
    WrongRecroom and miller_man like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caddisman View Post
    I have been working alot of hours and by the time I get out of work the range is closed, Being new to cc and not ever doing many drills other then drawing from holster and just static shooting. Ive really been thinking about starting dry fire practice. Wondering if you could point me in some basic dry fire drills to start with? So I can get the basics down then move to reload drills and faster drills etc
    Do a search for "dry fire practice" on youtube, TONS of good video's and info.

Also this thread was posted about 10 months ago - one thing I've learned is important is to check on your status with some live fire every once in a while. It can be easy to develop bad habits, not realize it and incorporate them into your routine. One example I just had - went to the range, was just doing some semi rapid shots @ 10 yards and was surprised by how big my groups had gotten. Well, I thought about it on the drive home, did some research and realized I had gotten lazy in my dry fire practice and started to ease up on my grip (no big deal having a tight grip for dry fire, right? Wrong). Practiced on tightening my grip up, went back 2 days later and my groups @ 10 yards looked like a different person. This quote rings true - "PERFECT practice makes perfect".
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Here's something to consider. I don't have one, but a co-worker does and he loves it.

SIRT 110 Pro Training Pistol Featured as Essential Training Tool by the real Tripple B! | NextLevel Training
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links