Defensive Carry banner

A little time spent on SD drills with the wife(videos)

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Old_Dog 
#1 ·
Took a little time to work with the wife today on some realistic training drills. The first video is her doing a "push off" from a simulated frontal grab or attack, drawing and engaging the target from close distance.

The next two are some of my favorite CQB drills for up close and personal encounters where there is no option to find cover, or move fast enough to get away. Pay close attention to the one where I side step right and drop out of line with the threat. This technique can be adopted for a wide and varied array of applications, including with a long gun. I think it deserves a place in the trick bag.
PS: I am older, slower, and out of practice, so take it easy on me.

OK, I am not good at posting videos yet. Click on the pic, and it will play the video, but the time and sound will be off. Replay it by clicking on the play button at the bottom of the screen to get it in the correct time and sound sequence.

Or, a nice Moderator can step in and unscrew my mess:embarassed:

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks great. Best training I ever took was defensive training just like this when you practice getting distance from your attacker and getting effective rounds on him. Theres a lot more to the course but the basic jist is to move, move, get distance, and shoot. I try to take the course every year. Very nice how your also getting rounds into the BG so quickly. Looks like a fight winner.

#4 ·
Nice drills, I almost always practice up close. I figure that any assailant will be up close when they try to attack. I'll have to practice down and to the side. I usally do back pedaling and lateral movement.

PS: I am older, slower, and out of practice, so take it easy on me.
You forgot ugly

Reactions: rocky and G-man*
#8 ·
Sure. You don't see it taught much if at all. It was a tactic we developed in Quantico in the late 80's. the idea is to take yourself off the centerline of the threat, and at the same time minimize your body size to make it harder to hit, while providing neutralizing fire.

It can be performed either side, one or two handed.

It's the original option to the " get off the x" technique, and I believe it's quicker and much more effective than running away while shooting.

While working with these techniques, I was heavily into Kenpo Karate. In Kenpo, you actually do some things that are not natural reactions, such as stepping into the punch instead of backing up. The idea is to actually speed the punch up.

So, in a way, this technique is heavily related to a Kenpo concept.

#7 · (Edited)
I'd take your videos a lot more seriously iffin' y'all weren't usin' that old antiquated pistol. :wink:

Kidding aside, nice job Gman (and I'd help you with the vids if I knew how to with photobucket :redface:).

Reactions: G-man*
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.