A little time spent on SD drills with the wife(videos)

This is a discussion on A little time spent on SD drills with the wife(videos) within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took a little time to work with the wife today on some realistic training drills. The first video is her doing a "push off" from ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By glockman10mm
  • 2 Post By pgrass101
  • 1 Post By OD*

Thread: A little time spent on SD drills with the wife(videos)

A little time spent on SD drills with the wife(videos)

Took a little time to work with the wife today on some realistic training drills. The first video is her doing a "push off" from a simulated frontal grab or attack, drawing and engaging the target from close distance.

The next two are some of my favorite CQB drills for up close and personal encounters where there is no option to find cover, or move fast enough to get away. Pay close attention to the one where I side step right and drop out of line with the threat. This technique can be adopted for a wide and varied array of applications, including with a long gun. I think it deserves a place in the trick bag.
    PS: I am older, slower, and out of practice, so take it easy on me.

OK, I am not good at posting videos yet. Click on the pic, and it will play the video, but the time and sound will be off. Replay it by clicking on the play button at the bottom of the screen to get it in the correct time and sound sequence.

Or, a nice Moderator can step in and unscrew my mess
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Looks great. Best training I ever took was defensive training just like this when you practice getting distance from your attacker and getting effective rounds on him. Theres a lot more to the course but the basic jist is to move, move, get distance, and shoot. I try to take the course every year. Very nice how your also getting rounds into the BG so quickly. Looks like a fight winner.
    "America is held together by one piece of paper"

Wish i could get my wife to even try to shoot:( great job !

Senior Moderator
    Nice drills, I almost always practice up close. I figure that any assailant will be up close when they try to attack. I'll have to practice down and to the side. I usally do back pedaling and lateral movement.

PS: I am older, slower, and out of practice, so take it easy on me.
    You forgot ugly
    glockman10mm and rocky like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

AOK
    May I ask what your tactics are in the third video when you do to a knee?

Pretty fast there Gman. Glad you're on our side.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

OD*
    I'd take your videos a lot more seriously iffin' y'all weren't usin' that old antiquated pistol.

Kidding aside, nice job Gman (and I'd help you with the vids if I knew how to with photobucket ).
    Last edited by OD*; May 24th, 2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Spellun'
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    May I ask what your tactics are in the third video when you do to a knee?
    Sure. You don't see it taught much if at all. It was a tactic we developed in Quantico in the late 80's. the idea is to take yourself off the centerline of the threat, and at the same time minimize your body size to make it harder to hit, while providing neutralizing fire.

It can be performed either side, one or two handed.

It's the original option to the " get off the x" technique, and I believe it's quicker and much more effective than running away while shooting.

While working with these techniques, I was heavily into Kenpo Karate. In Kenpo, you actually do some things that are not natural reactions, such as stepping into the punch instead of backing up. The idea is to actually speed the punch up.

So, in a way, this technique is heavily related to a Kenpo concept.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Nicely done!

Got a cheek full there? Wondering if a good squirt o'tabacky juice is an effective backup!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Sure. You don't see it taught much if at all. It was a tactic we developed in Quantico in the late 80's. the idea is to take yourself off the centerline of the threat, and at the same time minimize your body size to make it harder to hit, while providing neutralizing fire.

It can be performed either side, one or two handed.

It's the original option to the " get off the x" technique, and I believe it's quicker and much more effective than running away while shooting.

While working with these techniques, I was heavily into Kenpo Karate. In Kenpo, you actually do some things that are not natural reactions, such as stepping into the punch instead of backing up. The idea is to actually speed the punch up.

So, in a way, this technique is heavily related to a Kenpo concept.
    It's not a Kenpo concept. It's a prehistorical understanding of the concept of acceleration when going against a force. Bruce Lee characterized it as "like water".
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    It's not a Kenpo concept. It's a prehistorical understanding of the concept of acceleration when going against a force. Bruce Lee characterized it as "like water".
    Thanks for clearing that up. I cant believe that after 28 years of practice I got it wrong.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up. I cant believe that after 28 years of practice I got it wrong.
    No worries. Only the technology has changed. The art is still wrapped in cave drawings.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Yeah, self defense drills with the wife. Yes your honor, that is what we were doing when the accident occurred. :)
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Links