AIWB proper draw and presentation

This is a discussion on AIWB proper draw and presentation within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For about 2 years now, I have been carrying AIWB. I find it comfortable, and very fast to the draw. I am interested to see ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Harryball
  • 1 Post By Bill MO
  • 1 Post By OldandInTheWay
  • 2 Post By ScottM
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: AIWB proper draw and presentation

AIWB proper draw and presentation

For about 2 years now, I have been carrying AIWB. I find it comfortable, and very fast to the draw. I am interested to see how many others out there have found the benefits from carrying this way. Here is a video from Pincus showing his take on it...

Snub44, wmhawth and Bad Bob like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Interesting

AOK
    I've never carried AIWB so just out of curiosity during the draw do you just pull the gun back into the "#2" position when you need to fight from retention?

Carry AIWB most often these days, especially when carrying one of my Glocks. Just more comfortable with the medium to full size pistols.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Hmmmmmm now even Pincus is saying AIWB is a great way to carry. I have to wonder where he got the idea from?

My draw from appendix is... firm grip on gun and as I bring the gun out putting pressure on barrel tip by rotating wrist pressure towards target while gun is still in holster. Gun comes out of holster and jumps to line with target. With gun in line you can start to shoot at this point or push gun out to target from there. I do not do the 5 point draw stroke. Get the gun on target and go to work on putting it down. No matter where the target is in relation to you move to target straight away.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Starting out I would have never considered AIWB in a million years. I couldn't get anything else to work for me so I eventually gave it a try and now it's the only way I carry. Very comfortable, very easy to conceal and present.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

...most comfortable and accessible even while sitting/driving...primary at 1 and BUG at 2:30...since the 60s...slim to fat and partway back...

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    My fat gunsmith uncle kept a Smith or Colt snubbie under his belly. This would have been in Florida, 1960's and 70's by the time I showed up. His permit was apparently attached to his West Palm Beach reserve police officer standing and apparently, hmmm... hmmm... he was always on duty. ;) My how times have changed.

AIWB was not my first personal exploration into carry territory but I've learned that it fits nicely into my general self defense repertoire.

As far as Pinkus goes and his all squared up techniques, I dunno - it doesn't flow right with circles.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

DSCN4634.jpg

That Video makes a lot of sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    I've never carried AIWB so just out of curiosity during the draw do you just pull the gun back into the "#2" position when you need to fight from retention?
    Like BillMo, I do not use the 5 point draw stroke, but to answer your question, straight up out of the holster, rotate toward the target and shoot. It is very fast from AIWB...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    It's no secret that I have said that I'd like to train with Mr. Pincus. I think that much of his philosophies is quite interesting, and I'd like to see what it's about, first-person. Certainly, there are aspects of his methodology that I do not agree with or am doubtful about, but that's no different from that of any other instructor/school that I've either attended already or hope to attend in the future.

That said, I honestly can't say that I like this particular video too much.

When there's a beginner's level presentation of appendix/inguinal carry, there needs to also be an in-depth examination of the reholster stroke.

This is even more critical as there continues to be a popular trend towards minimalist, "trigger guard cover only" holsters that are aimed almost specifically towards the appendix/inguinal-carry segment of the market.

Both basic reholster stroke safety (double-check that clothing has been cleared, hip forward to insure muzzle-clear) as well as safety specifically in the context of different holsters (and how to go about training with the specific setups) should be emphasized particularly in these beginner-level videos. Pincus makes it a point to really address the potential pitfalls of a traditional 3- to 5-o'clock drawstroke, should the beginner not be careful with muzzle discipline, but misses this important educational opportunity, when it comes particularly to re-holstering at the appendix/inguinal position.

----

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Hmmmmmm now even Pincus is saying AIWB is a great way to carry. I have to wonder where he got the idea from?

I think that while it's easy to laugh with comments like this , it's also important to concede that guys like Pincus really play an important role when it comes to educating the public about firearms/tactical training. The way I see it, myself as a beginner on this road, is that these more "approachable" characters allow for an easier transition for beginners into this new world.

I first tried AIWB in Feb 2007, after Gabe Suarez recommended it during Extreme Close-Range Gunfighting.

At the time, I was carrying a G30 in a Summer Special-type holster. I simply moved it from 4:00 to 1:30. While it worked OK, it did leave something to be desired for thinness. Oh, yeah, I was about 240+ at the time.

After trading the G30 for a 19, and buying a Dale Fricke Ehud purpose-built AIWB holster, things began to come together. Losing about 30 lbs helped as well.

Love AIWB and carry there daily. I have no trouble driving long distances, sitting, bending or any physical activity I've tried in this carry position. I find it highly concealable, fast to draw from and comfortable. Also with close to centerline carry, either hand can easily access the gun if needed.

After 6 years, I would not go back to behind the hip carry for anything now.
    tcox4freedom and Bad Bob like this.

Distinguished Member
    Been carrying at appendix since I started carrying IWB (pocket carried first couple of weeks). It was the only spot on my waist that was even remotely comfortable. I absolutely love it- conceals amazing for me, very fast natural draw for me and best of all is VERY easy to draw from just about anywhere/position on the ground, oh and completely able to draw with your weak hand should something happen to you strong hand. It does require sound trigger discipline and very serious attention being paid when reholstering.

"Vasectomy's are expensive", LOL - that's my new line for telling people why I appendix carry.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I have recently been experimenting with it. It has many advantages. Back in the day it was called "mexican carry", and is not a new concept.

Personally, I like the articulation Pincus puts in to describing the draw. Serious, long time students of other disciplines recognize this as a thing called "fundamentals". Everything work learning has them, and it only behooves one to learn the draw stroke broken down into parts, whether it be 2,3 or 5. Sure, an advanced person use to the draw may skip them, or move so quickly as to not emphasis the steps, but someone unfamiliar or new will find them not only an aid, but will quicken the learning curve, and will make them better for it.

Also, for anyone who has taught female students, you will understand that they are not only bright, but desire alot of detail.
    TX expat likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Links