Dont shoot like a NY cop.

This is a discussion on Dont shoot like a NY cop. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently recieved an E-Mail from a popular training sight with the above banner. I must admit that I was miffed. Being a retired NY ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Dont shoot like a NY cop.

Dont shoot like a NY cop.

I recently recieved an E-Mail from a popular training sight with the above banner. I must admit that I was miffed. Being a retired NY Cop I find it distastefull. Two examples are shown from two different departments. This IMO is like using negligent discharges as an example of the average gun owner's ability.

In addition to the banner the proprieter went on to give poor advice to someone who may have found themself in a similar position.

Just wondering if anyone else recieved this advertizement, and the thoughts of some members.

Thanks... Spuk!
    BigCityChief likes this.

2. Remove Ads

...on my department were idiots, thieves, drunkards, wife-beaters, at least one burglar, one rapist, one serial rapist...for starters...
    ...there were people who shot on teams and could shoot the left eye out of a frog without makin' him blink...and some who couldn't hit a Greyhound bus if they were on it...
    ...cowards, bullies...get the point???

...there were some of the finest professional cops I've ever seen who were the salt of the earth...and could measure up to the highest standards known to man...

...I resent any label that clumps people together and makes the good try to live down what the bad do...and lets the bad ride on the coattails of the cream of the crop....

...so I'd resent being told I shot like a NY cop, too...ESPECIALLY because I'm a Texan...

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...on my department were idiots, thieves, drunkards, wife-beaters, at least one burglar, one rapist, one serial rapist...for starters...
    I read that first line and thought, when did Congress start a shooting team?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Dont shhot like a NY cop.
    Don't spell like one either....

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Yeah, agreed. I love the folks who stand in an air conditioned shooting lane with a paper target, squinting with one eye slammed shut, taking 20 seconds to line up a shot. Then they compare their "skill" to a street level shooting. I'd love to spray some sim rounds at these yahoo's and see how much of that "skill" goes out the window. Ignorance and bad taste just had a love child.

Humor must have an element of truth to be funny ... and I'm sorry ... this is funny.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Title should have been

Don't shoot like THIS NY cop. The front sight blurb is, in my opinion taking advantage of the negative press NY is getting over the gun grab and combining it with the tragic shooting of a hostage. Pure marketing but still he makes some valid points if one focuses upon this one isolated incident. The officer seems to have panicked. He fired 8 rounds at the hostage and the crook. Ok, some of you might be able to fire 8 rounds in rapid succession with enough accuracy to preserve the life of the hostage. I'm not one of you. After a couple of shots someone better be ducking (my wife might say after the gun is in my hand everyone should dive for cover but I digress). I do think that the mistake indicates some possibly weak training. The blurb quotes some NY shrink talking about how difficult it is to make a spit second decision when a bad guy points his gun at you. To my way of thinking there should be no decision to make at that point. The officer should have been trained to make the first shot count - no time making a difficult decision. I understand the difficulty of the shot. I killed the "hostage" my first time through the training and it was nothing in the world like the pressure that NY cop was facing. I'm just saying that asking someone to decide what to do at that critical moment is ASKING FOR TROUBLE. Period. Perhaps he was trained and just blew it off. Perhaps some of you NY cops could respond about how you are/were trained.

A huge mistake was made. Was it due to lack of training, political correctness gone sideways, or an isolated panic attack?

And to make myself perfectly clear I have nothing but the greatest respect for those of you that put it all on the line for us every day. I hope this did not sound like cop bashing because nothing could be further from the truth.

Most cops are like most CCW holders - they do not shoot any more than they have to.

Most cops are not gun persons.

Most cops don't belong to gun forums or spend their own funds for extra training courses.

Most departments have a limited training budget, so the officers may or may not get training in precision up close shooting (read - head shots). Or distance shooting. Or GOTX. Or....well, you get my drift.

Most training is geared for the lowest common denominator to pass.

When I worked around our FOP range, a 70% score was good enough to pass and carry on the street. I don't know what it is now.

Most cops don't even carry off-duty.

So, yeah, I don't want to shoot like most cops.
    Maynard and Kennydale like this.

It's sad but the shooting at the Empire State Building demonstrated how under trained NYPD is.

VIP Member
    Just one quick point in response to post 7. There are NY cops as Secret Spuk was, and there are NY cops like the guy
    in the hostage situation. Different locations, different cities, probably different training, different everyday experiences.

NYC (That is, NEW YORK CITY) cops have certainly had their fair share of bad press for wild shootouts and
    for seemingly racially motivated shootings, and negligent shootings, and even just plain mean word work around shootings. Some of the bad rep is justified to an extent but lots of it is due to the miserable way in which a certain former
    resident of Gracie Mansion tended to justify anything and everything that was done badly, just because it was done
    by a NYC cop.

I don't think I'd pay attention to the written view of folks who don't know the difference between NYC, Long Island, Westchester County, and "upstate" and who deliberately conflate their distaste of NY State's New "gun grabbing" law with
    the actual daily work of everyday LEOs. If you can't tell that the one has nothing to do with the other maybe you just don't know enough to be commenting.

(Just so there is no confusion I'm not flaming the author of post 7---I'm sort of agreeing.)
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Just curious, someone stated that the Officer fired 8 rounds. Isn't that against NY law now? I was under the impression that guns couldn't hold more than 7 at full capacity in NY. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo304 View Post
    Just curious, someone stated that the Officer fired 8 rounds. Isn't that against NY law now? I was under the impression that guns couldn't hold more than 7 at full capacity in NY. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Apparently so don't you think, at least with regard to LEOs.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Or maybe some A-hole just murdered a young woman by taking her hostage at gun point and then pointing the gun at a PO.

End of story.
    "America is held together by one piece of paper"

Senior Moderator
    NYC has what...something like 35,000 cops?

That's more than the populations of most cities in Arkansas.

It's really not fair to lump them all together.

However, in these parts, being accused of doing ANYTHING like a NYC Cop is a whooping offense...

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just one quick point in response to post 7. There are NY cops as Secret Spuk was, and there are NY cops like the guy
    in the hostage situation. Different locations, different cities, probably different training, different everyday experiences.

NYC (That is, NEW YORK CITY) cops have certainly had their fair share of bad press for wild shootouts and
    for seemingly racially motivated shootings, and negligent shootings, and even just plain mean word work around shootings. Some of the bad rep is justified to an extent but lots of it is due to the miserable way in which a certain former
    resident of Gracie Mansion tended to justify anything and everything that was done badly, just because it was done
    by a NYC cop.

I don't think I'd pay attention to the written view of folks who don't know the difference between NYC, Long Island, Westchester County, and "upstate" and who deliberately conflate their distaste of NY State's New "gun grabbing" law with
    the actual daily work of everyday LEOs. If you can't tell that the one has nothing to do with the other maybe you just don't know enough to be commenting.

(Just so there is no confusion I'm not flaming the author of post 7---I'm sort of agreeing.)
    Glad you were not flaming, I did feel some heat:). I'm from Utah. I would certainly fail a 5th graders New York City geography quiz. I'm not sure I see the relevance to my comments. Since my original post my wife got back from a defensive handgun course where naturally this subject came up. Her instructor commented that New York City or State (dunno which he was referring to since I was not there to ask him and besides which it makes no difference to my question). He said that they had to have a 12 pound pull on their trigger. Is that true??? I'm not going to comment on what I think of that unless it is actually factual. There is enough bs on the internet already. But if the answer is yes, I'm going to have some comments. Calling New York experts please.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links