Lessons learned - facing the invincible attacker

This is a discussion on Lessons learned - facing the invincible attacker within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lessons learned from facing an ?invincible? assailant This is related to the incident where an officer hit a suspect numerous times with a .45 before ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Lessons learned - facing the invincible attacker

Lessons learned - facing the invincible attacker

Lessons learned from facing an ?invincible? assailant

This is related to the incident where an officer hit a suspect numerous times with a .45 before multiple head shots ended it.

Summary...

carry what you can shoot well

carry extra ammo

practice, including head shots

stop debating caliber
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    BG shot 17 times with a .45. Three of them head shots and he finally died in the ER.

Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job
    Curzyk and Bad Bob like this.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Good read, thanks for posting. I had given this a lot of thought, and yesterday morning I ordered the Surestrike laser training aid. I plan on placing targets all over the house. to draw on, mostly for trigger control and since I have a dbl action beretta with long trigger pull, that will be my primary focus.
    I'll put up a review of the product, after practicing with it, and then taking a trip to the range to see if it helps improve, the shot placement, under pressure.

Senior Moderator
    Just another reason that I carry a big knife.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    10thmtn, here is another story very similar, and it just shows you what someone who is NOT high or liquored up, but is very determined can go through, and stay in a fight.
    Officer Down: The Peter Soulis Incident - Below 100 - LawOfficer.com
    Thanks for posting, as it should show all these guys who think their 5 shot snub, or 6 shot .380 will suffice in the "average" gunfight.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I prescribe the 2 to the chest, rest in the head method..... eventually they will drop, and it is the rarity that a BG takes multiple rounds to the cranial cavity... if he does I have an extra 10 rnds on tap
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I have a friend who is a LEO in the big City here. He was on patrol and performed a traffic stop on a luxury sedan. Driver got out of the sedan and was walking towards LEO friend before LEO was fully out of the car. LEO fires taser at driver, hits him in chest, driver locks up but manages to pull taser darts, then covers remaining distance to LEO who had just enough time to knee the driver in the crotch. At which point driver had his hands on LEO's shirt and vest, driver made a deep guttural noise and remained standing. At this point, fellow officer arrived on scene and immediately shot driver with taser at which point he clutched LEO harder and fell.

After everything was said and done, no shots were fired, and tox screen came back on the driver completely clean. No drugs, alcohol or anything.

Scary people are out there.
    perfection likes this.

Thanks for posting. That was a worthwhile read!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Interesting read, and food for thought. There's all kinds of individuals out there, just like I have noticed while deer hunting, where I have shot deer in the vitals and one would run 100yds or more, and the next might drop dead right there. Nothing is for certain, when it comes to shooting a living breathing organism. There's always exceptions to the norm.
    Secret Spuk and Glock2201 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
    I have a friend who is a LEO in the big City here. He was on patrol and performed a traffic stop on a luxury sedan. Driver got out of the sedan and was walking towards LEO friend before LEO was fully out of the car. LEO fires taser at driver, hits him in chest, driver locks up but manages to pull taser darts, then covers remaining distance to LEO who had just enough time to knee the driver in the crotch. At which point driver had his hands on LEO's shirt and vest, driver made a deep guttural noise and remained standing. At this point, fellow officer arrived on scene and immediately shot driver with taser at which point he clutched LEO harder and fell.

After everything was said and done, no shots were fired, and tox screen came back on the driver completely clean. No drugs, alcohol or anything.

Scary people are out there.
    Another example of the totally clean & sober criminal being capable of seemingly inhuman strength is the notorious FBI Miami shootout in 1986. Neither of the assailants had any type of alcohol or narcotic in their systems and remained functional (especially Platt) despite numerous gunshot wounds.
    Sky Pilot likes this.

I read a story a long time ago about two officers responding to a call about a threatening and apparently intoxicated individual. While they were talking to him at the door of his motel room, he pulled a gun from behind his back. Between the two officers they fired a total of ten .357 Magnum rounds into his torso at point-blank range. He was staggered and never fired, but he didn't fall or drop his weapon. One of the officers emptied his revolver, while the other (apparently the older and more experienced) ended the fight with his fifth shot, to the head.

That story has always colored my thinking on defensive shooting. There are no guarantees, even with an indisputably effective round. Especially when a BG is armed with a firearm, they can potentially take enormous and probably fatal injuries while still remaining lethal. It's good to share such stories, so we don't get complacent.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Another example of the totally clean & sober criminal being capable of seemingly inhuman strength is the notorious FBI Miami shootout in 1986. Neither of the assailants had any type of alcohol or narcotic in their systems and remained functional (especially Platt) despite numerous gunshot wounds.
    If I remember right one of the BGs was an ex-marine and the other a ex-Paratrooper. You never know who you can run into out there and that goes for all of us. Ive seen BGs shrug off tasers, pepper, and gun shots. I always thought, tho hard on ammo, the most realistic courses of fire include shooting until you hear click, then reloading and shooting more. We shot a guy 18 times once, including numerous torso shots, and he was still able to shoot back. I once had a case where an 18 yo kid ran 1/2 a mile after getting lung shot. He bled almost out on the scene yet I saw him back on the street weeks later after they cut a lung out of him. An assailant can take an incredible beating yet still be a threat. Thats why I hope nobody ever holsters and trys playing Mother Theresa on a BG who just tried robbing or harming them.
    "America is held together by one piece of paper"

In SD training, they emphasized the importance of the follow-up shot over and over and over. This is why. It's like flipping a coin. Each bullet has a certain probability of ending the altercation, but sometimes 'heads' will just keep coming up.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Just another reason that I carry a big knife.
    The BG in this case was shooting at the officer - not sure I want to bring a knife to a gun fight. I'd much rather have a BUG and spare ammo...and a knife.
    oneshot, GhostMaker and Bad Bob like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Stories like this is why I want more than 5-7 rounds of whatever I am carrying. Shoot till he stops, bursts of 3-5 to COM then same to head. If he's still standing...repeat....
    oneshot and GhostMaker like this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links