Recalibrating flashlight use.

This is a discussion on Recalibrating flashlight use. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not to say lights dont have their use but Ive seen to much reliance on them thru the years. The human eye is perfectly capable ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Recalibrating flashlight use.

Not to say lights dont have their use but Ive seen to much reliance on them thru the years. The human eye is perfectly capable of functioning at night and what is the point of spending all the $$ and time we do on our training just to give a light beam warning to BGs that we are indeed there and willing to give away a tactical edge. Simply put, we use flash lights all to often to make ourselves feel safer and not because its tactically sound.

Most of all in our home defense plans. Again Im not saying lights arent needed or arent useful but WE know our property intimately, every creaky board and hidden nook, so why become dependent on a flash light and give away an edge? Ive seen it all to often on the street when guys use their lights for no good reason. I like the idea of a light on a handgun but what I dont believe in is that it must always be on at night , just cause it IS night, and even worse the idea of tieing up an off hand with one. Again for no good reason. OK so the human animal, for 99.9% of our evolution, has been on the menu during darkness and its left us "afraid of the dark". But darkness cloaks us as well as the BG and with our superior training gives us an even bigger edge then it does him. So why turn on a flash light unless you have to?

Just a snack for thought and discussion. Over the years Ive found myself relying less and less on flash lights.
    "America is held together by one piece of paper"

Any advantage I can get, I will take. The flashlight for me is just that.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    I have no problem walking around at night. However, when it comes to positively identifying a threat or target, I want a nice bright light. Avoiding a mistake is worth the minor inconvenience of carrying a light.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Administrator
    An interesting topic of discussion to toss thoughts and ideas against the wall and see what sticks and what slides off.

I will say that when I am out in the woods as I hope to be for a few days in two weeks I always use the very least amount of light possible at night.
    Once my eyes have become acclimated to the darkness I find that I need very little light to accomplish all/most nighttime tasks.
    Many flashlights give off far too much unnecessary light even on their dimmest setting.
    In PA. on a cloudy moonless, starless, night in the woods there is NO ambient light (as in none) so a bit of light is sometimes necessary.

My eyes don't work as well at night as they used to. My ears have been around things that go boom. I keep a light if there were a flash ear I'd keep that also.
    mrm likes this.

Oddly enough we were discussing this a little while ago at work. I am ordering inexpensive motion activated lights that I can place throughout my apt. The are brightness adjustable as well. I think it is an interesting solution to the issues of light vs no light. I like the idea of them being bright enough to identify a target but not so bright they have a severe impact on my night vision.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

For 99.9% of human history we didn't have guns. There was no chance of being shot by or shooting someone that you can't see. And it's pretty likely that humans were diurnal and active primarily in the day time. I gather you're referring to using a gun and light in tandem; in that event I think the light adds an element of safety to ID'ing your target.

As to EDC of a light, to me that's a no-brainer. On moonless, cloudy nights they can be handy. When I leave work I often need one to get into my truck since the door's keyhole is black (great design, Chevy!).

Our ancestors also never had to do stuff like change a tire in the dark! Once a coworker had a flat in the far end of our unlit parking area on a moonless night. My EDC light saved the day there.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

to me the main tactical use of a light in a night-time SD situation is to blind the attacker. some of these little LED lights of 200 lumens or better are like aircraft landing lights. I practice one handed shooting with a mind toward holding the light out away from my body with my off hand, giving the BG an erroneous target, if he can see anything at all. meanwhile i'll be popping away at a very well lit target.
    tmoore912 and blanco64 like this.
    "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

There are times when the darkness can be a friend but there is the flip side of being able to temporally blindimg the opponent by flashing the beam in their eyes.

I can see both sides of tac light usage, as for me at home, I don't like the thought of a light on my weapon because I have kids. Hate the thought of going to investigate a crash in the dark to find that I'm pointing a 45 at one of my kids. I know the layout of my house and know where the shadows are, and which lights I can turn on and stay in the dark. On the LEO side I could see where a bright light on the weapon could be a good thing, blinding a perp. Now I do keep a 3 cell Maglite next to my bed, its only use is for power outages.

Quote Originally Posted by Vminghelli View Post
    I can see both sides of tac light usage, as for me at home, I don't like the thought of a light on my weapon because I have kids. Hate the thought of going to investigate a crash in the dark to find that I'm pointing a 45 at one of my kids. I know the layout of my house and know where the shadows are, and which lights I can turn on and stay in the dark. On the LEO side I could see where a bright light on the weapon could be a good thing, blinding a perp. Now I do keep a 3 cell Maglite next to my bed, its only use is for power outages.
    3 cell maglites make a handy club...i mean phyical persausion tool
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    This is why I wear my tactical eyepatch on the daily.

http://www.mythbusterstheexhibition....ate-eye-patch/
    Last edited by DontTreadOnI; June 1st, 2013 at 02:43 PM.
    Hopyard likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Administrator
    "Our ancestors also never had to do stuff like change a tire in the dark!"

No but, they did have to get that broken piece of Sabre Tooth Tiger tooth out of their leg.

Something not touched on as of yetly is that the STROBE feature of many bright flashlights HAS proved to be very disorienting to the human brain so that can be used to a good tactical advantage. There is no doubt these days that the Strobe is extremely disorienting especially if the flashing is at certain Strobe rates.
    I think that is potentially a great feature if used judiciously.
    I am (by no means) a flashlight expert. But, I also see scenarios where a very bright light would be highly beneficial as in distress signaling - just as one example.

One area where folks need to be really cautious though would be in smaller rooms with bright white walls that reflect back 90+ % of light.
    It would be possible to blind an attacker and easily play havoc with your own vision simultaneously if you're not careful in how you direct your light.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

3 cells can be used to cause temp power outages in people.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    3 cell maglites make a handy club...i mean phyical persausion tool
    Ha! I worked as dorm "security" back in college. I carried a 5 cell maglite. The campus cops didn't like it much but they also suggested we always carry a flashlight so ....

That thing was close to 2 feet long and a good 4-5 pounds. I loved that thing. I always approached propped open exit doors with it on my shoulder ready to thump domes if folks got threatening.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links