The Lost Art of the Revolver Speed Loader

This is a discussion on The Lost Art of the Revolver Speed Loader within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The following article by Dave Lewis will demonstrate how to use a revolver speed loader. I personally have a few and use them when I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: The Lost Art of the Revolver Speed Loader

The Lost Art of the Revolver Speed Loader

The following article by Dave Lewis will demonstrate how to use a revolver speed loader. I personally have a few and use them when I can. With practice you can load a revolver almost as fast as a semi auto.

The Lost Art of the Revolver Speed Loader | The Old Gunhand Blog & Forum
    wmhawth and nechaev like this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.
    The Old Gunhand - gun news all in one place.

2. Remove Ads

very nice piece I enjoy reading it
    Gun control, the ability to hit your target

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    The following article by Dave Lewis will demonstrate how to use a revolver speed loader. I personally have a few and use them when I can. With practice you can load a revolver almost as fast as a semi auto.

The Lost Art of the Revolver Speed Loader | The Old Gunhand Blog & Forum
    I was taught this method of using the speed loader (with the exception being that instead of "push-pulling" the Safariland versions, we were taught a "push-drop"). An instructor I've worked with recently is trying to get me into using Ayoob's stressfire reload described below. I completely get the reasons for the differences, and agree with them for the most part, it's just a hard habit to change after so many iterations. During a combat reload, my off-hand seems to move almost on its own to push the cylinder with the middle two fingers, with the thumb on the extractor rod. The Stressfire technique currently takes this dog a lot more conscious thought.

VIP Member
    Some of us folk never "lost" the technique. The newer generation have discovered the allure of a good revolver is all.
    rocky, 40Bob and varob like this.

When carrying a revolver for defense you should master the art of the speed loader carry a "New York Reload" or both. Thanks for posting.

Thats how Travis county was teaching in the 90's. Revolver day means I gave a safariland and a speed strip in my front pocket

...my first speedloaders got me a lot of laughs...Safariland...rubber cone tops that snapped down into a case on the belt...pushing the center released the loader, then you either pushed the center again or twisted them off, I don't remember...in a day when most carried 12 extra rounds in loops on the belt...had a fellow officer get shot trying to get his gun reloaded from green-crud-encrusted loops that he couldn't get the shells out of...then the HKS came along...Dade 3, Speed Strips, carried in the old dump pouch...40 years later, back to Speed Strips...I laughed that a modern officer didn't know about speedloaders for his BUG...good story!!!
    tdave likes this.

Lost how? I am a newer revolver user but the first thing I did was get 2 speedloaders and two speed strips, and I am ok with both.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

...my next order will be for TuffStrips 8-round strips for .38...just as easy to carry as the 6-shot...great idea...I gave all my HKS away a few years ago because when I'd get home and empty my jeans pockets out, they had opened in my pocket more often than not...the first round of 'em I had in the 70s NEVER came open...with Speed Strips and TuffStrips I don't have that problem...

I have Dade Speedloaders, push into cylinder and the bullets drop into the chambers, for my Colt Python. For my Colt Detective it is HKS as Dade was not making speedloaders anymore. I prefer the one motion push into the cylinder instead of push in and then twist the release of the HKS.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

I was surprised to read some of this stuff. I didn't know it was a lost art either.

When I bought my first revolver I asked the guy behind the counter what else I needed, and he said a speed loader.

I asked why? and he said because 6 are good and 12 are better.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Older threads in the DC archives will also have both input from the late Paul Gomez (his preferred 4-on-a-strip technique), as well as, IIRC, outlinks to deBethencourt's reload methods.

I learned on the HKS twist speed loaders,, I've not stayed sence ; ) PS A speed strip in pocket sometimes
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

IBTL
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links