Anyone ever try this...and did it work ok for you?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever try this...and did it work ok for you? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Please start vid at 1 min 14 sec to skip the intro..... Have dry fired using this method with my Glock-26..and a two handed grip ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Anyone ever try this...and did it work ok for you?

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

Please start vid at 1 min 14 sec to skip the intro.....

Have dry fired using this method with my Glock-26..and a two handed grip not one handed..it is doable...but is it effective...have not had time to range test this yet.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix4kNmEYyEk
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Link is inoperative. Too many http's, I think.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Thanks....correction made.....(fat finger syndrome)....
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

yep i tried...for about 5 minutes..... it feels really weird and does not promote a secure grip on a firearm. Heres a thought... for those of us who use the thumbs forward method, doesnt it do the same thing ? I personally have made it a habit to practice close range point shooting ....just not using this method... for spped and necessity.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    yep i tried...for about 5 minutes..... it feels really weird and does not promote a secure grip on a firearm. Heres a thought... for those of us who use the thumbs forward method, doesnt it do the same thing ? I personally have made it a habit to practice close range point shooting ....just not using this method... for spped and necessity.
    Not sure I comprehend your comment (not your comment just me)..when I grip my Glock, my thumbs are not really pointing at the target but to the left of target (small hands short thumbs)....

May have seen toooooo many Hickock45 Vids and others where shooters are deadly accurate rapid fire style..so I know they are not rear/front sight alining on every trigger pull...they must be using some point and shoot technique.

when I grip my Glock, my thumbs are not really pointing at the target but to the right of target
    Are you left handed? How do you get your thumbs (running down the left side) to point to the right of the target?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Are you left handed? How do you get your thumbs (running down the left side) to point to the right of the target?
    My bad.....don't know left from right.....no wonder I can't shoot straight.......another correction to make....thanks....

I think I prefer a two handed grip thumbs forward...

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I haven't tried this method of pointing with my strong side index finger. I use the thumbs-forward with a two-handed grip to try to accomplish the same thing. I'll give this a shot, but it seems a bit weird to pull the trigger with my middle finger.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

As a guitar player I can advise (for certain) that a decline in normal finger-dexterity exists across your hand from index finger to pinky. IMHO, I'm gonna' keep my most dexterous finger on the bang-switch of my most dangerous tool. So I'll point...with the muzzle!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I am not changing my draw and technique to suit a singular purpose. It looks well and good if you already have your gun in your hand..but then again, how many folks have that luxury when someone surprises you at 21 feet.

I will stick with standard draw, point shoot as need be while a gain the front sight.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

The NRA talks about a flash sight picture. While I agree with the premise of point shooting in the proper context, I think the video is misleading. With PROPER training you can get accurate hits on target. Everyone has a NEW idea on how to shoot, unless you are missing your index finger, use your index finger for the bang switch. Most of the time, I will not make absolutes, but with this I will. OP if you are seeking knowledge of point shooting look to Saurez international, Rob Pincus, Travis Haley, Chris Costa. Please do not mess with internet Gun-fu......
    dben002 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I don't like the index point/middle on trigger take on point shooting. If I shoot close enough to require a one hand grip, I'll shoot from retention position. If I can use two, I point through my support hand thumb. I have done this under stress. Last week, a friend and I practiced rapid fire in 2-5 shot strings. We were able to put all shots on standard printer paper sized targets from 7 yards, with the majority on fist sized targets. Practice pays.
    Currently own: Beretta PX4 9mm, Glock 23 (Gen 4), Glock 19 (Gen 4) x2

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    5shot has been around for some time now. When he post his way of point shooting on forums it does not get good reviews. Keep all the fingers you can on the grip of the gun. A firm grip is more important than pointing with your finger. If you wish to learn to point shoot then learn from a instructor who knows the basics of true point shooting. I learned from and recommend Roger Phillips, Saurez International instructor.

Yes point shooting does and will work. The longer the distance the more reference needed of the gun but hits can be made without hard focus on sights from some rather long distances.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links