Anyone practice shooting w/o their glasses on/contacts in?

This is a discussion on Anyone practice shooting w/o their glasses on/contacts in? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I was thinking the other night, what if... ...I need to grab my gun in the middle of the night with no time to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Anyone practice shooting w/o their glasses on/contacts in?

So, I was thinking the other night, what if...

...I need to grab my gun in the middle of the night with no time to find my glasses if they aren't in their normal spot or pop in my contacts? I'm pretty sure I'd just be pointing by instinct--which I don't like! Any of y'all with glasses/contacts prepare for such a situation by taking your contacts out at the range or taking off your glasses? I'm not sure if people would think I'm crazy or not if I did that at the range...but I don't really care--I want to see what I can do without any contacts or glasses.

Or perhaps, I need to get an extra pair of glasses to put in the safe...

Thumbs up

I'm 60 and wear bifocals. If I could afford it both my carry guns would have lasers. Much of the time when at home I don't bother wearing my glasses as my vision is pretty sharp within 20 feet.
    Zeebra724 likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    FWIW-- Until some surgery 2 months ago I was extremely nearsighted-20/400 & 20/800. The Rx was -7.5 or so, depending.

I would have had no difficulty identifying an intruder and shooting at up to about 20 feet.

I'd certainly have been able to see my rear sights, probably my front sights (assuming I wasn't just pointing) and the target would have appeared out of focus but still adequately visible to hit it.

It really never crossed my mind that I couldn't shoot well enough within the walls of my own home to defend it. I did have Rx safety glasses that I used during H2H at the gym, and sometimes kept near the bed,
    but they weren't really a solution to that rapid middle of the night panic need for the gun.

After surgery I see well enough to drive without glasses if I wish to do so, and exceptionally well with glasses- better than 20/20. But, I haven't had a chance to see how things go at the range. I might have trouble seeing the rear sight.

I'm now able to use over the counter safety glasses with a plain lens on the top and correction for close vision on the bottom;
    available at Lowe's or similar. I leave these on the nightstand if only because they would (if I had the time to put them on) protect my eyes, maybe give a tad of protection from pepper too.

So, IMO, if you are able to see the big E, or better yet a line or two under without your glasses, you'll probably do OK if you have to.

Your experience of course might well be different from mine. Hope you find a solution that works for you.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I don't wear glasses, however, I think practicing point shooting would be an asset here. You can see center mass no matter what right?
    Zeebra724 likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

VIP Member
    I wear Pure Vision 2 thirty day contact lenses, which I leave in day and night. My uncorrected vision is such that marksmanship aspiration is a fantasy.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I generally never attempt to even try and hit the toilet without optical aid. If I'm caught and judged without my visual attire then not even the Gods will save me.
    Hopyard likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    I don't wear glasses, however, I think practicing point shooting would be an asset here. You can see center mass no matter what right?
    If I could harness my Springer's olfactory senses then no demonic soul would be safe from my hunting instinct.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Ha!
    Doghandler likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Yes, sometimes. IMO, it's important to know what I'm capable of and where the vision limits are, if SHTF. Beyond about ~7-8yds, for me, things start to spread much more without my corrective stuff on. Nice to know that.

Of course, there's the risk of things flying back at me, so I don't do it that often, because of that risk.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I wear bifocals, and when I'm practicing strictly for self defense I'm looking over the tops of my lenses. By doing that my mid-range vision can focus on the front sight and center of mass is clear enough at around 20-25 feet.

As far as greater distances go, without glasses I can hit a silhouette out to 60 feet but the rounds are hitting all over the target, but if a BG is that far off I'm either going for cover and escape, or holding ground while the dependants run for safety.

Distinguished Member
    Yes. I wear glasses usually just for reading and certain things - I probably should wear them more but I just don't yet. But I never where glasses when I shoot, just because I want to be able to shoot well without them. There is a BIG difference looking at my sights w/wo my glasses. I do dry fire practice with them on a lot, so I can really see if I'm keeping the front sight perfectly still. But I will say my vision is not THAT bad, I'm not anywhere near HAVING to wear glasses.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member
    I do take them off from time to time while shooting and the results are bad enough that I need to do it more frequently.
    Zeebra724 likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I think it might be more important to practice waking up in the middle of the night and quickly throwing your glasses on to see how fast you can be ready - if your eyesight is bad enough. In my opinion, target identification is extremely important.

I'd say that if you can identify a target well enough from across your house, then you'll probably be alright to shoot without them. But if all you can see is a blurry, humanoid-looking figure then I'd say practice throwing your glasses on quickly.

And I like the idea of an extra pair of glasses in the safe if you can't guarantee that you'll put your regular pair in the same place every night.
    Zeebra724 and TSiWRX like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I am extremely nearsighted, while I might be able to hit a close target (I point shoot) I would have great difficulty in low light conditions discerning friend from foe.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Train like you fight....but train for the worst case as well..... i think being proficient without vision correction devices...if doable is a good idea.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links