Proper grip for shooting an autoloading pistol

This is a discussion on Proper grip for shooting an autoloading pistol within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally put my thoughts about gripping the pistol into an article. The proper grip for any handgun should accomplish several objectives: Maximize our hand ...

Thread: Proper grip for shooting an autoloading pistol

Proper grip for shooting an autoloading pistol

I finally put my thoughts about gripping the pistol into an article.

The proper grip for any handgun should accomplish several objectives:

1. Maximize our hand friction on the handgun. The way we prevent the handgun from moving around in our hand(s) is simply via friction. Therefore, the more hand surface we have in contact with the gun, the more friction we can achieve.
    2. Minimize the gunís motion during recoil by stabilizing the supporting joints, principally the wrists, when the gun fires.
    3. Reduce the distance between the line of the handgunís bore and our hands to the smallest amount possible. This diminishes the rotational torque generated by the handgun upon firing.

After establishing the appropriate grip, a series of index points can be used to feel when the grip has been properly achieved. Especially in defensive encounters, there is no time for visually checking whether the proper grip is in place. Having a set of index points allows a shooter to establish a proper firing grip in the holster and during the drawstroke, knowing by feel that the grip is as it should be.
    Link to full article.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Huge thread on grip:

Proper Grip & Recoil Managment

There's lots more that's debated than just how much force the two hands exert on the grip. Once you really start delving into the subtleties, "thumbs forward" is just a general guide.

That said, I think that your article was well-written and nicely summarizes the important points pertaining to this particular grip technique, and will get beginners who wish to learn this technique on the right track.

The only caution I'd like to give to beginners reading this thread is that while the grip is very important, do not pursue it to the exclusion of other fundamentals: particularly the un-sexy and very tedious perfection of the trigger. An excellent grip can actually hide a lot of deficiencies in other areas of the fundamentals, but once the shooter is presented with increasing difficulties, just having a good grip won't be able to compensate for other shortcomings.

1) How does one shoot an unloaded pistol? 2) Why would anyone have a seperate grip for loaded, and unloaded pistol? 3) Every gun is loaded all the time.

OK so I'm sure some are wondering what I'm talking about, lol somehow I read How to grip an UNLOADED pistol... maybe it's time for new glasses...lol
    Sorry about that...

Links