Self Defense Distance

Self Defense Distance

This is a discussion on Self Defense Distance within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of the major manufactures has a breakdown of percent of shootings at a particular distance. I have searched but can't find this. Anyone know ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Self Defense Distance

Self Defense Distance

One of the major manufactures has a breakdown of percent of shootings at a particular distance. I have searched but can't find this. Anyone know what/where this is? As I recall, it said 95% of shooting were at less than 21 feet, with 55% being at ten feet or less, but I am guessing.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

GH
    I was taught, & it was by the military so I don't know how accurate that is by civilian standards, that 21' is the minimum distance you want an armed opponent to get to you if all you have is a pistol. The further away the better but in a civilian setting this could bring legal problems I suppose. I always practise shooting at 21' but before I leave the range & extend that distance as far as I can. I feel that if the average distance in a shooting situation is down to 10' that's way too close even for an opponent armed with a knife or club.
    Exacto likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    You're way long. Most happen close enough to touch, which is why most CCW pistols have combat sights and jagged triggers.

There are lots of statistics published about the average gun fight. The 3/3/3 rule is often posted or quoted. That is three shots at three yards in three seconds. There are few references to where those statistics came from. The averages most likely include law enforcement one on one gun encounters which happen at closer ranges due to the nature of their work. If you included military encounters, the averages would be very different. The problem with averages is people then accept, train, and carry for the averages. If you train for 3/3/3 and carry a five round snub-nose revolver without a reload for defense, what happens when two or three assailants start shooting at you from 25 yards? I have carried guns for over fifty years. As a civilian, I had to draw my gun once back in the 1960s and I did not have to fire it. Statistics say I don't need to carry a gun.
    tdave, Nix, Doghandler and 5 others like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    There are lots of statistics published about the average gun fight. The 3/3/3 rule is often posted or quoted. That is three shots at three yards in three seconds. There are few references to where those statistics came from. The averages most likely include law enforcement one on one gun encounters which happen at closer ranges due to the nature of their work. If you included military encounters, the averages would be very different. The problem with averages is people then accept, train, and carry for the averages. If you train for 3/3/3 and carry a five round snub-nose revolver without a reload for defense, what happens when two or three assailants start shooting at you from 25 yards? I have carried guns for over fifty years. As a civilian, I had to draw my gun once back in the 1960s and I did not have to fire it. Statistics say I don't need to carry a gun.
    Nailed it.
    johnaengus likes this.

You dont get to choose the engagement distance. The distance chooses you.

The 7 yard mark is what most sources seem to agree upon for most encounters. I usually target practice to be within 1 inch of the bullseye at that distance, 2 inches at 10 yards and on a pie plate at 25 yards. If BG is running towards me with a weapon, 7 yards is probably less than a second and I would like to be able to hit that before it's on top of me.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    3-6 feet.

Go read up on the Tueller Drill.

Over two decades ago, Sgt. Tueller wondered how quickly an attacker with a knife could cover those same 21 feet. So he measured as volunteers raced to stab a target. He determined that the distance could easily be crossed in 1.5 seconds. These results were first published as an article in S.W.A.T. Magazine in 1983 and in a police training video by the same title, “How Close is Too Close?”.

A person armed with a holstered handgun has a dilemma. If he shoots too early, he risks being charged with murder. If he waits until the attacker is definitely within striking range so there is no question about motives, he risks injury and even death. The Tueller experiments quantified a “danger zone” where an attacker presented a clear threat.
    BlueHawk76 likes this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

I copied these facts/statistics from an E-Book published by Beretta:

Concealed carry shooting statistics from a Beretta E-book on concealed carry

"... SOME STATISTICS
    55% of gunfights take place 0-5 feet.
    20% of gunfights take place in 5-10 feet.
    20% of gunfights take place in 10-21 feet.
    (ETA) 75% take place within 10 ft.
    95% of gunfights take place in 0-21 feet. (Source- FBI)

The average man can cover 21 feet of ground in 1.5
    seconds.

The average man cannot draw a gun from concealment
    in under 2 seconds.

The average gunfight is over in 3-5 seconds.
    3 to 4 shots are usually fired.

Most gunfights take place in low light conditions.
    On average, one shot in four strikes someone."

Hope that's what you were looking for.
    Hodad, NONAME762 and BlueHawk76 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    You dont get to choose the engagement distance. The distance chooses you.
    You are right Spuk. IMO I think to many people are putting to much faith in these stats. The real world will dictate distance. If we do not train farther than 21 feet I think we are doing ourselves a dis-service....
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by OldMick View Post
    I copied these facts/statistics from an E-Book published by Beretta:

Concealed carry shooting statistics from a Beretta E-book on concealed carry

"... SOME STATISTICS
    55% of gunfights take place 0-5 feet.
    20% of gunfights take place in 5-10 feet.
    20% of gunfights take place in 10-21 feet.
    (ETA) – 75% take place within 10 ft.
    95% of gunfights take place in 0-21 feet. (Source- FBI)

The average man can cover 21 feet of ground in 1.5
    seconds.

The average man cannot draw a gun from concealment
    in under 2 seconds.

The average gunfight is over in 3-5 seconds.
    3 to 4 shots are usually fired.

Most gunfights take place in low light conditions.
    On average, one shot in four strikes someone."

Hope that's what you were looking for.
    Get off the "X"
    Nix, Hopyard and Blue Thunder like this.

Nix
    Old Mick,

What year(s) are those stats from? In today's "spray and pray" society, I'd have thought that the number of rounds fired would be higher.

Again, Situation Awareness comes to the forefront about time and distance. If you draw early, nothing really happens unless you pull the trigger.
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Old Mick,

What year(s) are those stats from? In today's "spray and pray" society, I'd have thought that the number of rounds fired would be higher.
    Not sure where/when Beretta got those stats, or how old they are, just relaying the information I thought was interesting enough to copy and save. However, I believe I read the E-book sometime this year because the MS Word Doc I created with the info. is dated March of 2013.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    The 7 yard mark is what most sources seem to agree upon for most encounters. I usually target practice to be within 1 inch of the bullseye at that distance, 2 inches at 10 yards and on a pie plate at 25 yards. If BG is running towards me with a weapon, 7 yards is probably less than a second and I would like to be able to hit that before it's on top of me.
    Unless I'm practicing for accuracy, which I do mostly with the one hole drill done at 3-5 yds. I shoot to make hits in what I've drawn up to be my kill zone as fast as possible. This is also done while GOTX. The less distance you have the faster it needs to be done, so the less reference to gun sights as distance increases more imput on gun and sights are given.

Here is a picture of my target...

002.jpg

Any hits inside the lines is a good hit no matter the grouping, in my book.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links