Home security!

This is a discussion on Home security! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We talk a lot about when to shoot and when not to shoot, and we know there's many ways of not appearing to be "food" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home security!

VIP Member

Home security!

We talk a lot about when to shoot and when not to shoot, and we know there's many ways of not appearing to be "food" for someone who would harm us. We know to avoid dark alleyways in the middle of the night, to give a wide berth around suspicious people, and so on. But our houses are often targets, especially when we're not in them. And sometimes we are in them. Securing our homes can prevent an incident in one. Keep your house from appearing to be easy food!

For the past few months, the townhomes in my area have been burglarized. The burglar has broken into four units in our community, eleven in another down the street, and multiple units in other communities. We had a community meeting last night with a local officer who gave us what details he could, and to discuss a neighborhood crime watch.

The officer said the burglar has been selecting the nicer middle class communites - places that would have good stuff to steal. It is also believed the man is local to the area and is "sticking close to home." The M.O. is that someone drops the burglar off, he walks around and blends in so well nobody's been suspicious of him, finds units that appear to have no one home (lights out, etc.), has privacy for him to work with (units with the backside facing woods, no lit deck light, etc.) and has no alarm signs/stickers, and then uses a crowbar on the back door. He steals easily pocketable stuff. He moves from unit to unit, burglarizing multiple units in one night. And then his buddy picks him up. He does this between the hours of 5 and 7pm - when people are coming home from work!

The officer did note that he thought the burglar was incredibly stupid in his hours of operation, considering this is TN, a state that has a high concentration of hunters. (I really do think he meant to say "gun owners," but the officer was trying to be careful to make sure nobody would get the idea to attempt any vigilante stuff.)

The burglar has already made several errors, attempting to break into a house that did have an alarm (which frightened him off) and entering a house when the owner was at home. In that incident, the woman was in the shower and got out to hear the man downstairs. She grabbed her gun and went to investigate, and she scared off the burglar.

The shower scenario is a scary one. You're in one of your most vulnerable states, plus you've got loud running water, hampering your ability to hear what's going on around you.

All of the units in our community were built with ADT-type alarm systems, and the owner could choose to activate it or not. The units in our community that were burglarized did not have activated alarms. Ours is activated, and we have the "home" option that activates the alarm system except for the motion sensors. So if I'm in the shower and he crowbars my door, the alarm goes off. That won't work if the burglar decides to break the door glass instead of the jamb (that would separate and activate the sensors), but so far the burglar has wanted private, quiet entry and has not broken glass.

You may recall I was burglarized a couple years ago at my old location - the burglar beat in or crowbarred my front door. I was an end-unit all the way in the rear of the community (I guess you can call that a rear-end unit ). We had marked Reserved parking spaces, so it was easy for him to determine whether I was home or not. I had no alarm system, so I learned the hard way. Thank goodness my guns were secured in a big safe. The burglar found the safe, but could not get in. I've often thought about what would've happened had I been at home and asleep or in the shower.

In the place I'm at now, not only do we have a good alarm system, we have a motion-activated light on the back deck. We've got light timers so it appears someone is home when no one is. I really want to get the metal jamb reinforcers that wrap around. We lock the doorknobs and the deadbolts.

Now that the holidays are upon us and we travel to be with family, please keep in mind home security. This is the time of year when burglaries are more prolific. Keeping your home obviously secure is a good deterrent, and may prevent someone from trying to break in. It can mean the difference between having a good night's sleep or having to shoot someone who broke in while you were in the shower.

Stay safe, and have a GOOD THANKSGIVING!
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Good post Betty, its something we all take for granted.

The holiday season is the most active time for burglers and robbers.

This brings to mind the discussion of "what gun / holster for the shower?" thread a few months ago.

I am still trying to get the wife to remember to turn the alarm on when I am not home.
    -Biker

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker View Post
    I am still trying to get the wife to remember to turn the alarm on when I am not home.
    LOL, I had the same problem, so I brought a German Shepard home. He's always "on".

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker View Post
    This brings to mind the discussion of "what gun / holster for the shower?" thread a few months ago.

870 marine for the shower...lol

My alarm is usually on, if not the annoying voice that says "Front Door", "Back Door", "Garage Door" will alert me. My dog has a pretty mean bark as well. Keep your place well lit.

Great post Betty.

I'm still trying to convince my mother she needs an 89 pound Irish Wolfhound named Buck. Or any other dog who could tear a leg off.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Betty step 1 is hide or lock up your firearms to the point that the next person is easyer , step 2 is get with your neighborhood assn and find out ( someone will know ) who all has had a partner move out . Whoeaver is doing this ( i feel unlike the officer ) does not live close now , but did a short time ago ( within 90 days or so ) . Look to the dis gruntled " spouse " for your home invasion felon , he/she ( more likely a he ) will prey on that area till the pickings are gone , or the feelings of rejection are .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    Small update:

The other night one of the neighbors caught a stranger nosing around in another neighbor's backyard, confronted him, and then chased him into a neighboring apartment complex and lost him. The stranger meets the general description of the burglar.

It wasn't very smart to chase the guy.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

smo
    Greetings,
    As one who installs security systems, cameras, access control, etc while I'm going to school, let me just say that if you have an ADT alarm (or any brand for that matter) you can USUALLY have it switched to a different company if you want. I work for a small local company that both installs new stuff and takes over current systems every day. ADT would like you to think their alarm will only work with them, but it's not the case in 99% of the installations....
    Smaller local companies don't usually make you sign contracts and pay a million dollars a month.

Also, you can make your alarm sound the siren and scare people off, but not dial out to any company. In this instance, you don't have to pay a monthly fee, but the BG's don't know that, and the sound scares 'em off.

Anyway, sorry for the non-gun related topic, but I just thought I would let people know they have options.

This guys is brave to keep returning to the same area. He must live nearby. Stay alert.

smo
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Betty step 1 is hide or lock up your firearms to the point that the next person is easyer ,
    Very good idea on locking 'em up. I don't think hiding things works very well, most serious burglars will look in the "oddest places" knowing that people hid things. I have had a small safe for years, but just finally got around to bolting it straight to the studs in the closet wall. I can literally hang off it now, so no one can just walk out the door with the whole safe.

Anyway, the primary concern is PEOPLE. Our stuff can be replaced by insurance or whatever, but being safe at home is a great topic. Thanks Betty for bringing it up. My wife is due in May and I will hardley be home between work and school, and this is a concern of mine for her. I'm working on turning our bedroom into a mini "safe room" with a solid core door and deadbolt, and security laminate on the glass...

VIP Member
    Hi smo,
    That's what we did. It seems as long as you have a land phone line, most of the time another company can handle the ADT-type system. We found someone cheaper than ADT that offers the same police/fire/medical alerts. We didn't want a land line because all we use are cell phones, so we pay a small fee every month to the phone company so we can have the line for the alarm.

After my burglary (before I moved to my current residence with current alarm system), I installed a simple wireless Radio Shack system that I bought for $100. It had two door sensors and a motion detector, and could be expanded. It could dial anyone you programmed through a land line if the alarm went off, and I think it also had the "home" option that would turn the alarm on except for the motion sensor. What I also liked about it was you could add light modules to turn on selected lights in the house, which would be handy if things went bump in the night. You could push a button and all the lights downstairs would turn on.

When I was burglarized, it was very interesting to see what nooks and crannies the burglar went through, like the corners of the closets (where people like to stash guns), in the underwear and sock drawers, the water heater closet, and under the bed mattress.

They didn't catch my 11-87P behind the long window curtain. I don't leave it there anymore, either.

They also didn't catch some very expensive jewelry I had hidden in plain sight inside a junky decorative metal purse I had hanging off a three-panel screen, and on the second-story windowsill behind the bedroom curtain. I don't keep those there anymore, either.

My gun safe was battered badly in the incident, but it was repaired through Cannon's 100% warranty service.

Lead Moderator
    Great Reminder , Betty. Now is the big time for thieves.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have been planning, the last two days, to start a thread on home security. We all talk about being well trained to shoot if we have to and be aware of what is going on. I am looking for more suggestions as to what a person can do to secure their house.

I have read about rose bushes by windows. I live in a split-level so that won't work. I am planning on installing motions lights by my deck and back garage door. I also want to install one on my front step.

What else can a person do? I will have a gun handy at home when I am home. I would rather scare a BG off than have to take his/her life.

Any cheap window sensors? We have a dog so a motions sensors might be bad.

What do you all think? Any product links or ideas?
    XD SC 9mm
    S&W 340pd

Minnesota Gun Talk

"A thing long expected takes the form of the unexpected when at last it comes." Mark Twain

smo
    Almost all modern motion sensors are "Pet Immune" meaning that they will detect movement from human sized objects, but not from pet sized objects. You can get them in different ratings, but a typical motion sensor will not detect a moving object under about 60 pounds. If you are interested in doing an alarm yourself, visit http://www.homesecuritystore.com They have parts as well as a forum similar to this one where you can get some good advice and help while you are putting it all together.

I personally prefer "DSC" as the alarm brand. (That's the brand of the actual hardware, not a monitoring company like ADT, Brinks, Etc.)

PS - ADT usually uses Ademco, which isn't bad, I just think DSC is a little more straightforward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links