Trying to make a vacation out of going to a shooting school

This is a discussion on Trying to make a vacation out of going to a shooting school within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I was hoping to get some suggestions here about shooting schools. My husband & I just recently got our CCW's, and we've taken the ...

Thread: Trying to make a vacation out of going to a shooting school

Hello,

I was hoping to get some suggestions here about shooting schools. My husband & I just recently got our CCW's, and we've taken the CCW class, and another class that the instructor called "advanced tactics I". We had so much fun at the advanced tactics class, that we would like to make a vacation out of one of the shooting schools. Like a week of fun-- shooting, learning, and becoming more proficient.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I've read on here that some of the schools are fast-paced and advanced, and that isn't what I'm looking for. I'd like to go somewhere where we can start pretty slow (although we already know the very basics), and learn and practice every day, and just have some fun. Kinda low-key, yet still challenging.

I'd also like to hear about anyone's experiences at the shooting schools. Like what kinds of classes they took, what was the school/instructor like. How long was your class. Things like that...

We plan on going somewhere next fall (fall 2007). Should I make a reservation now?

Thanks for your replies.
    Julie

I would suggest looking into a vacation at NRA Whittington Center in New Mexico. You can go to http://www.nrawc.org/ for more info.
    Then when you get back you can give us all a report.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    check out the major national schools for what you want Whittington is a good idea as many teach there . I will say to scedule a couple of days down time after the school(s ) you choose It will take some time to decompress . BTW if you or hubby like varment shooting or phesant , or whateaver my area offers , I am only about 150 miles from whittington range . If nothing else we may be able to do a cup of coffee or something lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Vacation Training Washington State

Sounds like a great vacation.
    I have attended a few classes given by the Firearms Academy of Seattle located in Onalaska WA.
    They offer a Week Long Handgun Course $675.00
    Check out their requirements ahead of time as they do require for attendance that either you are law enforcement of a current concealed weapons permit.
    I cannot say enough good about this school, they are great and an affordable price, and you cannot beat their guarantee, just ask them!
    In this 5 day course you will be shooting 1200 rds!, Training is mostly on the firing range with some class room work.
    I have expressed my views about the classes on my website if you wish to read them you can go here and look at Quality of Training, Concealed Carry and Firearms Academy of Seattle
    Last edited by BigDave; November 21st, 2006 at 07:34 PM.
    Deadly Force is Only Used to Save Your Life or a Life of Another.
    Anything else has non lethal options.
    Packing4Life

Senior Moderator
    Go to Gunsite in AZ. Gunsite is about a 2 hour drive from the Grand Canyon!

And, just to give you an idea of what I thought about the quality of training at Gunsite - I've taken all four of their handgun courses. One of the unique things you get to do at Gunsite is Simunitions FOF simulators. That kinda puts things in perspective.

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar

Vegas Baby!

I could sell you two four day defensive handgun course at Fronsight, right outside of Vegas for $100 each, plus paypal and shipping. This will give you four days of solid fundamentals in the Modern Techniques. Check out the web sight here.

http://www.frontsight.com/

If you are interested you could also tack on two days of training with me in a private course. I teach a little more "real world" techniques, which include the integration of sighted and unsighted fire, shooting on the move, one handed shooting, low light shooting. This course can be tailored to your skill level and how hard you want to work. I have taught this to very advanced individuals and very novice shooters. With the skills that you pick up at Frontsight you would be at a decent intermediate level.

You can check out this video that a very advanced guy took of his wife in my course. The video is after about 12 hours of training. Prior to training with me she had never worked out of her holster, never shot one handed, never shot without her sights, and never shot on the move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ_dSkm_cI4

Administrator
    All good suggestions. I can recommend a school or two, but I doubt you want to spend your vacation in Ohio.

Sweatnbullets, cool video. PM'd you with some constructive criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweatnbullets View Post
    I could sell you two four day defensive handgun course at Fronsight, right outside of Vegas for $100 each, plus paypal and shipping. This will give you four days of solid fundamentals in the Modern Techniques. Check out the web sight here.

http://www.frontsight.com/
    Sweatnbullets, is the price of $100 correct? Maybe you meant $1000? On the website it was much more expensive.

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Looks like I have some investigating to do.

Sixto- I actually would be interested in the Ohio schools

Administrator
    Here you go then.... http://www.tdiohio.com/

Great bunch out there, very down to earth. I recommend the package deals, such as pistol 1-3. You will come out a better shooter and will have fun too.

Check out the sched. in June. You could do handgun levels 1-5 June 16-24 with a few days break in the middle.
    Last edited by SIXTO; November 21st, 2006 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    Sweatnbullets, is the price of $100 correct? Maybe you meant $1000? On the website it was much more expensive.

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Looks like I have some investigating to do.

Sixto- I actually would be interested in the Ohio schools

Julie, that is one hundred dollars for a grey certificate.

Here is what the deal is. Frontsight has memberships, I became a member back in 1999. As part of the membership you receive certificates to give to your family, gift to friends, or to sell to other like minded individules. These certificates are used to bring in new customers and are for "first time students only." There is no experation date on the certs. They are good for the four day defensive handgun, practical rifle, or tactical shotgun. They can also be used by two people for the two day defensive handgun, practical rifle, or tactical shotgun.
    Last edited by Sweatnbullets; November 21st, 2006 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    All good suggestions. I can recommend a school or two, but I doubt you want to spend your vacation in Ohio.

Sweatnbullets, cool video. PM'd you with some constructive criticism.
    Sixto, you have mail. I am all for discussing this on an open forum. There are a lot of real advancement to the art happening right now....and this would be one of them.

Member Array Optimistic Paranoid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    Hello,

I was hoping to get some suggestions here about shooting schools. My husband & I just recently got our CCW's, and we've taken the CCW class, and another class that the instructor called "advanced tactics I". We had so much fun at the advanced tactics class, that we would like to make a vacation out of one of the shooting schools. Like a week of fun-- shooting, learning, and becoming more proficient.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I've read on here that some of the schools are fast-paced and advanced, and that isn't what I'm looking for. I'd like to go somewhere where we can start pretty slow (although we already know the very basics), and learn and practice every day, and just have some fun. Kinda low-key, yet still challenging.

I'd also like to hear about anyone's experiences at the shooting schools. Like what kinds of classes they took, what was the school/instructor like. How long was your class. Things like that...

We plan on going somewhere next fall (fall 2007). Should I make a reservation now?

Thanks for your replies.
    Julie
    Julie, I've done a number of courses over the years with some of the "big name" instructors - Massad Ayoob, Chuck Taylor, John Farnam, Louis Awerbuck, among others. All of them were very worthwhile, and I wouldn't hesitate to recomend any of them.

That said, based on your description of the very basic training you've already had, I would recomend Ayoob's LFI 1 class as your next logical step.

This is a forty hour course, taught either in a 5 eight-hour or 4 ten-hour days format. Approximately half of the course is spent on the range shooting. The other twenty hours is spent in the classroom going over the legal, moral, and psychological fundamentals of using deadly force against another human being.

This is an absolutely unique course, and goes into stuff I've never seen taught or discussed in any of the other classes I've taken - interacting with the police following a shooting, interacting with witnesses, interacting with your attorney and defense team, the physio-psychological aspects of a lethal force encounter, post-shooting trauma . . .

I was so impressed by this course that I went back five years later and took it again as a refresher.

Mas is one of the travelling trainers someone else mentioned. He teaches this at various places around the country.

http://www.ayoob.com/
    Regards
    John

Life Member - American Society of Armed Political Malcontents

Question Authority. Hang As Necessary!

In God I Trust. Everybody Else Keep Your Hands Where I Can See Them!

Sponsored Links