One handed revolver speed strip reload

This is a discussion on One handed revolver speed strip reload within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://youtu.be/fTd_Vctj8Mw An impressive demo. Only really makes sense if one of your hands is injured. Worth practicing....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: One handed revolver speed strip reload

http://youtu.be/fTd_Vctj8Mw

An impressive demo. Only really makes sense if one of your hands is injured. Worth practicing.
    darbo and CIBMike like this.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    So is his EDC to carry reload strips in right front pocket as well as left rear? If not then why does he practice it that way. For some reason I just don't see him doing that in normal day life.

Looks cool on you tube and that's all that matters....right?

My thoughts on the carrying of a revolver...if what's in the gun isn't enough you better be behind cover or have more than one gun.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

...coming from the time of dinosaurs...I've seen officers empty their revolver just GETTING to cover...and a friend shot in the wrist by a perp who came around his car as he was frantically trying to dig his 6 spare shells out of the green-encrusted leather loops...ANY speed-loading device beats that...
    ...I heartily preach BOTH...a BUG and extra ammo in speedloaders or speed-strip-type strips...storebought or hand-made...the book didn't say what day I'd have a gunfight (which I've never had) or need more ammo...so some is good, and some more is better...

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I'm just wondering what the BG will be doing for the 17 seconds he is standing stationary for the first reload and 24 seconds on the second reload? I bet that drill is just a little harder with hot lead incoming
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

...most of us will never know, thank God!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    I'm just wondering what the BG will be doing for the 17 seconds he is standing stationary for the first reload and 24 seconds on the second reload? I bet that drill is just a little harder with hot lead incoming

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    \...the book didn't say what day I'd have a gunfight (which I've never had) or need more ammo...so some is good, and some more is better...
    You know, that book would be a whole lot more valuable if it would have included that handy piece of info.
    Snub44 and Jaeger like this.

If I have 17 seconds to reload I am moving to cover. I carry strips but I leave the center one out. I find I can load two at once very quickly an get back in fight. I only reload from strips at range to stay in practice.
    Snub44 likes this.

Wouldn't that gun be hot? I wouldn't want to shove it down my pants.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

...if you had to do it, either:
    A. you'd be so adrenaline-charged you wouldn't feel it

OR

B. your britches would be full of coolant and you'd be saved
    nedrgr21 likes this.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    One of my colleagues had a stroke, and use of his left hand is no more. He carries a Security Six and speed loaders. He performs a version of that better than the guy on YouTube. It doesn't take him more than ten seconds, if he gets it right, but sometimes he doesn't and fumbles it. Better than nothing...
    Snub44 and DetChris like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...if you had to do it, either:
    A. you'd be so adrenaline-charged you wouldn't feel it

OR

B. your britches would be full of coolant and you'd be saved
    Neither of those two were happening in his case.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

...stage fright's not nearly as inspiring as the real thing!!!

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    So is his EDC to carry reload strips in right front pocket as well as left rear? If not then why does he practice it that way. For some reason I just don't see him doing that in normal day life.

Looks cool on you tube and that's all that matters....right?

My thoughts on the carrying of a revolver...if what's in the gun isn't enough you better be behind cover or have more than one gun.
    While I agree with your overall sentiment, the truth of the matter here is that the video is a simple demo of basic manipulations considerations.

Do we show newer shooters how to reload on the move?

Do we show newer shooters how to reload on the move with the support/weak/other strong/reaction hand?

Instructional videos (or even a live demo) can only convey so much information, and from my view of this video, it simply looks to be one that's intended to convey technique.

If viewed from your vantage point, one could make the same arguments against the validity of similar videos from literally *any* instructor.

Your points are valid - but we should not view this video out-of-context.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    While I agree with your overall sentiment, the truth of the matter here is that the video is a simple demo of basic manipulations considerations.

Do we show newer shooters how to reload on the move?

Do we show newer shooters how to reload on the move with the support/weak/other strong/reaction hand?

Instructional videos (or even a live demo) can only convey so much information, and from my view of this video, it simply looks to be one that's intended to convey technique.

If viewed from your vantage point, one could make the same arguments against the validity of similar videos from literally *any* instructor.

Your points are valid - but we should not view this video out-of-context.
    TSI, its not the drill that bill is objecting to, its the revolver and the lack of speed that it takes to reload with both hands, but how long it takes with one. IMO the OP would be better served carrying one of his glocks.

You are correct about the drill having to start and end. This drill is necessary for the next steps like sight picture is to fundamentals.

With the revolver you can see how far behind the eight ball you can become because of the reload. 10 seconds on a good day, compared to 1 to 1.5 seconds with an auto. Revolvers have there place, but IMO it seems to be fading a bit..JMO
    DetChris likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    In my view a revolver is a niche weapon having a special purpose and not a fighting handgun. (my opinion only, yours may vary) While I don carry a J-frame in off side front pocket I do not carry a reload for it. Why because to reload is to much time spent for what you get (another 5 rounds) It's purpose is to let me have my hand on a gun when things don't look and feel right without showing a weapon. With my bringing my hand out of my pocket the gun is in hand and firing, giving me time to bring my true fighting handgun into play, a XD carried AIWB with two reloads available.

My thoughts on a reload, be it revolver or auto pistol, is if you need it your chance of surviving the fight just went down a bunch. A lot can and will happen in the seconds needed to complete the reload. Even if you practice the reload and cut the time needed down, you are not putting rounds down range giving the BG time to take control. Most of us will find we are in the fight by ourselves and when we stop fighting we lose. Most fights will be won by he who take control and does not give it up until it is over. Once control is lost it's hard to get it back.

So my thoughts on carrying a gun is to carry one with enough rounds in it to finish most any fight you find your self in to start with. I find and feel 5-6 rounds coming up short in some that could just be your fight. I know the numbers say 3,3,3 but what if yours is one of the high ones on the averaging out of numbers?

One of my big questions with the video is he shows having reloads in front pocket and rear pocket. I have to wonder does he carry them there all the time or just at practice time of doing his one hand reloading. If he doesn't do it all the time then he's out of luck when he needs it most
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links