Violence is Golden....

This is a discussion on Violence is Golden.... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I put the thread here because I believe it pertains to mindset. Violence, we hear about it everyday on the news. Its there, its real ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Violence is Golden....

Violence is Golden....

I put the thread here because I believe it pertains to mindset.

Violence, we hear about it everyday on the news. Its there, its real and we as armed individuals sometimes must play that game. I came across this article and found the authors take on it very insightful. I think there is a lot to think about as it pertains to Self defensive and our own ability to bring violence to the table to meet an attacker. IMO if have made the decision to carry a gun, you should also make the decision to bring violence down on your attacker. Thoughts??

Violence is Golden - Jack Donovan
    TSiWRX, Secret Spuk, DRM and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

I found it interesting from the very beginning.

A lot of people like to think they are “non-violent.” Generally, people claim to “abhor” the use of violence, and violence is viewed negatively by most folks. Many fail to differentiate between just and unjust violence. Some especially vain, self-righteous types like to think they have risen above the nasty, violent cultures of their ancestors. They say that “violence isn’t the answer.” They say that “violence doesn’t solve anything.”
    This in spite the fact that "experts" now say women, if attacked, are best served by resisting as loudly and as forcefully as possible. Kicking, biting, scratching, punching, screaming, ... all forms of violence, and most often recommended as a defence against being assaulted if one is not armed.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Doesn't get more violent than war. Guess that's why all Vets are on the watch list.
    onacoma and Ksgunner like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

"Anyone who clings to the historically untrue — and thoroughly immoral — doctrine that "violence never solves anything" I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and of the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk, and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms." - Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    This points out the same logical fallacy used by those who decry hunting as barbaric yet love their hamburgers, steaks, and chops.

P.S. I've always found wisdom in the words of Heinlein.
    maxwell97 and vilecanards like this.

I'm not aggressive, I'm defensive.
    I'm actually quite violent
    ccw9mm likes this.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Violence begets Violence!

I find it farcical to assume we are a non-violent species. Here is a quote I like to use; "War is instinctive. But the instinct can be fought. We're human beings with the blood of a million savage years on our hands! But we can stop it. We can admit that we're killers...but we're not going to kill...today. That's all it takes! Knowing that we're not going to kill...today!" James T. Kirk in 'A Taste Of Armageddon'

However, if you choose to inflict violence on me or my family I will with Predacious Violence put a stop to your violence!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I believe it was the late Colonel Cooper who said something to the effect that violence does indeed beget violence, and he made it his personal mission to beget far more violence in return upon those who committed violence upon him in the first place.
    "Violence begets violence" should be a warning to the criminal, not an admonishment to the law abiding.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

i have no problems being violent, and I can promise, that if you bring violence into my world, you will wake the sleeping tiger.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Let your plans be as dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt....... Sun Tzu
    miller_man likes this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Very good read. If somebody wanted to commit violence on me and I could stop them nonviolently fine. If I couldn't I am not out of options.

Ive said it before Ill say it again and ive taught my kids and wife the same. The only answer to violence is swift and overwhelming violence in return.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I hope to lead a nonviolent life. However I always remember what my dad told me: you are not to fight, but if it can not be avoided, you do EVERYTHING you can to win. I will teach my boys the same.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Administrator
    Many who believe that they are non-violent are in reality only nine missed meals away from reverting to chaos and violence.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Many who believe that they are non-violent are in reality only nine missed meals away from reverting to chaos and violence.
    NINE missed meals?!? Dude, I'm worried of the outcome if I get stuck in a crowded elevator at lunchtime. More than 15 minutes and I'm resorting to cannibalism.
    Phaedrus and atctimmy like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links