1911-22 for training

This is a discussion on 1911-22 for training within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Forgive if I'm in the wrong place for this. Since getting back into guns this year, I've purchased a new full sized 9mm Beretta Storm ...

Thread: 1911-22 for training

1911-22 for training

Forgive if I'm in the wrong place for this.

Since getting back into guns this year, I've purchased a new full sized 9mm Beretta Storm and a Rugar LC9 with laser for CC. I also purchased a $200 family membership at a range, spent the bucks to get my CCDW and all of that combined hasn't is getting close to as much as the 9mm ammo I've used up with my two sons.

If we want to keep practicing, I really need to slow down on the spending and to go to .22, and I'm thinking that I'd like a 1911-22. Maybe a Sig version.

My question is where can I find used guns? I've looked online and found a few but the prices don't seem that much less than a new one, and Gander Mountain has used guns but a limited selection.

Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it under $300 for a practice gun.

2. Remove Ads

cj
    I'm visiting the same ideas and have done a little research on the 1911-22 concept. I had a friend who had the Sig version who let me try his out during an informal match. Ironically I think I shot it better than he did, and promptly fell in love with it. Note that the GSG version and the Sig version are pretty much identical, with 2 big differences: initial cost and warranty. The Sig version tends to cost more, but has a lifetime warranty for the original owner. The GSG has a 2 year warranty. From what I've seen, if you get a good one, they work, but if you get a bad one, it may need some trips back home...with all that in mind, I'm leaning toward a new Sig.

As for finding used guns, I've had the best luck just stopping by my local stores once or twice a week, and even letting them know what you're looking for. But for 1911-22s, I've seen very few of them come through used, and even then, as you noticed, the prices weren't low enough for me to skip the warranty.

i got the Sig 1911-22 for my wife and it is a terrific pistol, very accurate and fun to shoot, no non-ammo related problems yet. but it is pricey. don't know if you could find a used one for $300. also, good luck finding 22LR ammo at any price these days.
    "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

I've been stopping in at a Walmart every day on the way to work. I'll get a box here and there of 9mm. I passed on some 22LR yesterday but won't from here on out.

I may buckle down and just get the Sig new. That's what I did with the Beretta looked and looked until I just said "I'll take it." I'm glad I did. Love that gun. Part of the fun for me is looking.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Gunbroker.com is the ebay of firearms. Be a smart shopper though because most of the people selling on GB think they are sitting on gold mines. Some of the prices would indicate the seller needs to find a new dealer 'cuz he's smokin' some really bad stuff! I bought an ATI from Bud's for less than $400: American Tactical 2210M1911 GSG1911 1911 22LR 5" 10+1 Checke $352.00 SHIPS FREE - $351 NIB with free shipping. It's a good shooter and the parts are 80% interchangeable with my other 1911's. At this price, I wouldn't go used. JMHO.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I use a 1911 .22 for practice but mine is a Kimber conversion. I purchased a RIA Commander sized .45 and put the conversion on it.

No issues and a great training tool it is how my wife learned to shoot a 1911 and now she is going through my .45 ACP ammo at a pretty good pace thankfully I am well stocked on .45, 9mm and .22 LR.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Not a 1911, but an Advantage Arms .22 conversion slide on my Glock 30 has worked very well as long as it's cleaned and lubed. It will hiccup after many rounds as the dirty .22 gunk builds up.

I don't know if used is any great deal during these current times. It may be beneficial to find what you want in new and pay up. There are several .22 1911 versions on the market.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I wound up picking up a new Chiappa 1911-22. The dealer let me fire a used one at his range and I had a blast with it. I found it to be very reliable and accurate. My kids and I put a few hundred rounds through the new one later on and it was a fun gun to shoot. Very happy. I paid $280 for it new which made me even happier. Now we've got something we can take to the range where I'm seeing pennies flying out of the ejection port instead of quarters. My 9mm's were breaking the bank. We were going through 500 rounds a week! Aside from being hard to find that much ammo, it was pricey. I know that it's not easy finding .22LR either but I won't have to deal with buyer's remorse when I do.

I have a GSG 1911-22 and it is a great pistol! I used it this last weekend on a Zombie Apocalypse training class, along with an MP-22, and it worked great! The 1911 didn't jam, and fired accurately even though the MP-22 jammed a few times. I think it is a really great way to train on the cheap.

Bob2.0, glad you got one and are enjoying it! I bought a Colt (made by Walther) 1911 .22 back before the "crises" in guns and ammo to teach my granddaughters how to shoot and to practice myself because it is much cheaper than .45ACP. However, shortly after I purchased it, .22LR became almost impossible to find! I finally found two bricks a couple of weeks ago. I got lucky and just happened to be in the right place at the right time when they got some in and put it out! They only got five bricks in and I got two, which was the limit they would sell a person. I hope the ammo situation straightens out soon.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Bob2.0, glad you got one and are enjoying it! I bought a Colt (made by Walther) 1911 .22 back before the "crises" in guns and ammo to teach my granddaughters how to shoot and to practice myself because it is much cheaper than .45ACP. However, shortly after I purchased it, .22LR became almost impossible to find! I finally found two bricks a couple of weeks ago. I got lucky and just happened to be in the right place at the right time when they got some in and put it out! They only got five bricks in and I got two, which was the limit they would sell a person. I hope the ammo situation straightens out soon.
    Hi JDE101. There's a Walmart on my way to work so I show up there regularly at 7:00 a.m. to be there when ammo comes out for stocking. Days will go by without anything and then yesterday I got 200 rounds of .22LR and today I got 150 rounds of 9mm. Stopping there every day seems like a hassle, but I've gotten to know some other gun owners while waiting for the stock to roll in, and made some friends. Now if someone is planning a big day at the range and needs some extra, we sell to each other at a little better than cost. We call ourselves the Walmart Gun Club. I'm probably going to ease up on going to the range so much, and maybe do it once a month for awhile. I bought one of those Laserlyte target trainers, and set up an indoor range. With the Laser bullet in my 9mm, I'm getting lots of practice with my gun without ammo. Pretty cool.

I can't resist this post, sorry about you folks going to the store every day...wow wish I had that time. Luckily I belong to an indoor range where 100 rounds can be bought ecery time so I usually only shoot half my 22.

I want to shoot NRA bullseye 25 yard indoor one handed when I'm off crutches (been shooting sitting)...the one handed practice with the 22 makes shooting 2 handed feel like cheating. The point of my post is if you're practicing rapid fire I'm not sure how much practicing with a 22 will translate to the 45 because of recoil (but you probably know that). One shot at a time no argument there.

Can you switch back and forth with conversion kits, i.e 22 to 45 and back?

Quote Originally Posted by chiltech500 View Post
    I can't resist this post, sorry about you folks going to the store every day...wow wish I had that time.
    In my case I pass a Walmart on my way to the office every day so I just leave early enough to make a quick stop. I'm slowly building up my stock pile, three boxes at a time. :)

Links