Birchwood Casey Double Mag Spinner Target question

This is a discussion on Birchwood Casey Double Mag Spinner Target question within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After firing at paper targets with my sons, I thought that maybe a metal target might be good to get. With my sons firing a ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Birchwood Casey Double Mag Spinner Target question

Birchwood Casey Double Mag Spinner Target question

After firing at paper targets with my sons, I thought that maybe a metal target might be good to get. With my sons firing a 1911-22 the hole is hard to see so I figured the "ding" would make it easier for them to register a good hit. I wanted something to fire my 9mm's at as well.

I got the Birchwood Casey Double Mag Spinner, not thinking to thoroughly read the back first. It says I can't use 22 on it, and that I can't fire full metal jackets making it useless to my 9mm. Does anyone else shoot these things and are those warnings for real? If so I have a target to sell.

2. Remove Ads

Yeah, I have some of those targets. Yes I heed the warnings.

The targets are different weights of steel, depending on the caliber that they are intended for. Instead of spinning, as the target should, when shot by a .22, it might well just send the round back at you.

Honestly, for pistol use, I dont find them very useful. If I remember correctly, they say min safe distance is 25 yds. For my practice, and training, that is not of much use.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    they make paper targets called shoot an see. when you put a hole in it, it turns bright yellow. works for what ever your shooting .22 or 50 cal. have not tried my cannon yet. have fun.

I watch those Hickok45 videos with a field full of metal targets and I'm thinking that could be fun. I can only hit a paper target so many times before I can't tell where the bullet hit. I'll check on the shoot and c targets but I'd like to cut back on the consumables too. The bullets are bad enough.

Hickok is firing all kinds of ammo at those targets. Are there any metal target systems that can work for .22-9mm?

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Go to the dollar stores and buy yellow project paper.

Administrator
    See if you can find a local welding outfit to build you a plate rack.
    They love the chance to use up scrap steel on neat projects.
    Just make sure that anything that could be hit with a bullet is angled to deflect them down or off to either side so that you don't have bullets coming back at you.
    (see the angle iron legs and slanted front face of this unit below)

shockwave and ccw9mm like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for being tolerant of all my (probably stupid) questions.

The target I bought is the same one in ccw9mm World of Targets link with the 3" on top and 4 1/2" circle on bottom. In one safety sheet taken from some FBI manual it said that I could be at a minimum of 10 yards away, which is where I'm practicing from right now anyway. It seems that with it being reactive, the swing should dissipate a lot of the energy and then when the bullet flattens I should be safe with my 9mm. I thought I'd be able to plink all day on it with the .22 but I can see where maybe the plate wouldn't give as much allowing for the possibility of a ricochet. The yellow project paper sounds like a great idea for that.

At 15 yards out, shooting the Double Mag Spinner Target was pretty rewarding with the 9mm. Eventually curiosity got the best of me and I fired at it using the 1911-22, (despite the instructions to not use rimfire or .22s). The .22s flattened out to paper-thin splats just like the 9mm did. I'm not a ballistics expert but I couldn't see how one of these .22 splats could bounce back the 15 yards it would take to hurt me. If anyone does have insight, I'd love to hear it before my next trip to the range.

Links