NRA Defensive Pistol Qualification

This is a discussion on NRA Defensive Pistol Qualification within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really like the NRA Defensive Pistol Qualification program. It's a very good intermediate step for those who have a little training or practice but ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HeadHunter
  • 1 Post By StormRhydr

Thread: NRA Defensive Pistol Qualification

NRA Defensive Pistol Qualification

I really like the NRA Defensive Pistol Qualification program. It's a very good intermediate step for those who have a little training or practice but want to tune their skills up. Since it's self paced, it's a good option for people who don't have a lot of time or money for training but still want to improve their skills.

Contrary to popular belief, the National Rifle Association is not just a gun rights organization but continues to follow its original mission of promoting marksmanship practice. The Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program is a self paced shooting program for many different disciplines. A new addition to the MQP is the Defensive Pistol Qualification program.

Defensive Pistol I is an excellent follow on skill development program for those who have completed a Basic Pistol course or State level Concealed Carry class. Most States only mandate the ability to hit a silhouette target with no time limits. DP I requires a higher degree of marksmanship skill by using the NRA D-1 target and requiring all hits within the 12 inch diameter 8 ring. The DP I program also includes a time standard for each level. Shooters can either use a timer or have someone else time them.
    NRA Defensive Pistol Qualification Program - Atlanta Firearms | Examiner.com
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Some drink at the fountain of Knowledge, others just gargle.

2. Remove Ads

This is a great course. It gives the instructor a lot of room to teach. It can be very dynamic depending on the instructors.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

At age 12, at Ft Leavenworth, KS, I was shooting in NRA programs. I cant say enough good about them.

Im a firm believer that marksmanship, safe gun handling, etc are the foundation for all the other. And its a transferable skill to other weapons platforms.

Locally, we have a guy who just got an NRA grant to put on shooting programs for the kids. Im planning on having my boy go thru it.

We have to get kids shooting again, if we want our rights to remain intact.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Links