1 min VIDEO: Dangers of bullets off hard walls or flat surfaces DEMO - IMPROPER COVER

1 min VIDEO: Dangers of bullets off hard walls or flat surfaces DEMO - IMPROPER COVER

This is a discussion on 1 min VIDEO: Dangers of bullets off hard walls or flat surfaces DEMO - IMPROPER COVER within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I welcome any additional tips, comments, discussion. Latest experiment shows why wrapping around cover, walls, doorways or even laying prone behind a vehicle can be ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By GeorgiaShooter
  • 1 Post By Harryball
  • 1 Post By GeorgiaShooter

Thread: 1 min VIDEO: Dangers of bullets off hard walls or flat surfaces DEMO - IMPROPER COVER

I welcome any additional tips, comments, discussion.

Latest experiment shows why wrapping around cover, walls, doorways or even laying prone behind a vehicle can be a deadly mistake when defending against an armed attacker. I learned this from professionals I casually shoot or train with. It's demonstrated in a cool retro 1968 FBI training film on youtube I have bookmarked in my playlists.

If others want to use this as a demo reference I don't mind. More permit holders, especially in urban areas need to know. This principle could apply to shooting prone in the home on a concrete slab.

This video is short but you may find the information useful.
    Shoot off hard walls and flat surfaces and PROPER use of cover - YouTube

Military, SWAT and professionals shouldn't be the only ones to understand this principle.

Few points.

1. Avoid making this mistake.
    2. Use to your advantage when the bad guy steps in this doo-doo pile.
    3. Practice

Quick 1 min video on a proper way to use cover and the bad guy's unfortunate perspective.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTLfn4qhi-o
    tdave and goldshellback like this.

VIP Member
    Many, many, many years ago when I was in the Boy Scouts one of the adults brought a 22 rifle and some tracer rounds. Yes 22 bullets will ricochet when fired at a low angle to water.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Very informative thanks for posting.

Good info. We can use ricochets to our advantage as well.
    Blue Thunder likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Here's the link to the retro FBI training film which is well worth the watch. Just looking at the size of those walkie talkies and how those trainees whip the gun from their hip is worth the effort. Boy, how far tactics and shooting has come. Amazing.... Some of those shooting stances are hilarious. Ballistics sure remain the same.

How to Win a Gunfight - Shoot a Gun - Shooting For Survival FBI Training Video - YouTube
    tdave likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaShooter View Post
    Here's the link to the retro FBI training film which is well worth the watch. Just looking at the size of those walkie talkies and how those trainees whip the gun from their hip is worth the effort. Boy, how far tactics and shooting has come. Amazing.... Some of those shooting stances are hilarious. Ballistics sure remain the same.

How to Win a Gunfight - Shoot a Gun - Shooting For Survival FBI Training Video - YouTube
    Thank you for sharing.

Good info, GS. Thank you.

Makes one really think about the limitations of supposed "cover."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Good to know. Thanks for posting.

I just stumbled across a video on youtube of an IDPA match. And before I sound negative let me say I like the simplicity and scale of this IDPA stage and how they went to an extra level to bring elements of a real situation. At the same time there are a bunch of things you do in this drill that could either become habit or what people assume is the proper way to defend themselves. The result being your @ss is deader than hell. Let me explain. If someone pops their head and shoulders over a car hood toward me they are just plain dead. Not only are the bullets I shoot accurately going to hit their mark but every round I bounce off that hood is going to rain hell fragments onto the shooter. Much better to move toward the support columns for the cab or some other solution. Especially at that range where you just can't miss. Remember you are reacting to the attack, not the aggressor. Second problem is laying down flat under the car frame like that. You could lay at a 45 degree side angle and still shoot prone very comfortably while using most of that front tire and wheel to cover your chest and vitals. My video in the beginning of this thread shows in dramatic fashion how tragic this whole defensive scenario could be for you, the defender, in a parking lot or street. Consider potentially shoe melting temps I would likely stay at the front end with the engine and wheels and do my shooting from there, around the front or anything but the way this IDPA stage promotes. People always claim IDPA is not training but it sure teaches you to do things. And frankly that is what training does, even bad training. There are a lot of ways to grip a gun, shoot and there are just as many tactics for various competitions. Each have their own pros and cons but some of the fundamentals we learn weekly, monthly can get our butts killed. We just had a force on force airsoft IDPA style match north of town. A bunch of my friends who are very experienced shooters commented on how many people received deadly headshots in the forehead when they came around cover to fire at the live targets. Real world dictates a whole other level of serious tactics that are often in conflict with what we do in competition. And honestly a lot of the real training people pay for in defense courses is faulty. Nothing beats working on this stuff on your own and critically thinking your way through each piece. I realize every situation is unique but some of these methods are clearly dangerous for you to try in a real situation. I can only pray and hope that a bad guy trying to harm me will use these tactics on the other side of a vehicle or wall. I will be able to instantly neutralize his ignorant arse. Lay down on the other side of a car and fire at me. See what happens.

IDPA 5/22/11 ~ CoF #1 ~ Flat Tire: The Movie! - YouTube

Sponsored Links