After Action Report: MDFI Handgun 1 & 2

This is a discussion on After Action Report: MDFI Handgun 1 & 2 within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Who: David Pyzik What: MDFI (Michigan Defensive Firearms Institute) Handgun 1 & 2 When: July 12, 2013 Where: Midland, MI Why: To be more proficient ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Secret Spuk
  • 1 Post By RoadRunner71
  • 1 Post By Blue Thunder
  • 1 Post By sealteam20001

Thread: After Action Report: MDFI Handgun 1 & 2

Who: David Pyzik
    What: MDFI (Michigan Defensive Firearms Institute) Handgun 1 & 2
    When: July 12, 2013
    Where: Midland, MI

Why: To be more proficient and confident with my carry pistols.

My training background: None, really. CPL and Dynamic Handgun DVDs.

What I expected: I expected to come away with knowledge of failure drills, getting gun back in the fight and weapons manipulation.

What I learned: Check my surroundings after an engagement; Keith got me a couple times. You may have to climb on an object to shoot down at a target in a crowded area to minimize risk of bullet over travel or missed shots. Shooting from the ground. Failure drills, retaining the mag if it’s your only one.

What my next steps are: More training. I’d like to do a low light class. Also, more non-firearms related training (less-lethal, first aid and physical).

Any other comments/critiques: I liked the fact that we worked on a “Hot Range”, I actually feel safer than having everyone unloading and handling firearms just to leave the line.
    Both pistols ran flawlessly. The first 250 rounds through my full size were dirty cast lead reloads. Fouling all over the extractor and chamber and the gun just kept running.

Gear:
    S&W M&P9 & M&P9c
    3 spare magazines
    Raven Concealement Phantom Holster & Vanguard 2
    Blade Tech Magazine carriers

Gear changes after class: I will now start carrying at least a spare mag with me. I borrowed mag carriers for the class and am now ordering some of my own.

1072185_10152999077655720_454077921_o.jpg

Clear, concise, and to the point. I like it.... The report that is...
    Pyzik likes this.

VIP Member
    I have trained with MDFI many times in the past. They are pretty good. Steve, Tom and Trek know their stuff. I haven't had the pleasure to work with some of the new batch of trainers but I've heard good things.

They will hammer in the basics real fast.

If you get the chance, don't pass up their YSINTG course. I don't care how good a shot you THINK you are, you WILL be better after this course.

Good AAR, now you know at least some of what you didn't know before. Keep working on it. There is ALWAYS more to learn!
    Pyzik likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Thanks Roadrunner. I've taken a knife class and a ground class with Keith too, he's a great instructor.

Yes, YSINTG is on my list. :)

Excellent report. I have taken 4 Gunfighting courses and one Alumnus course. 30 minutes into the first course I became very comfortable with the 360 degree course as I was watching the others and the instructor was watching all of us. One good thing in these courses is that folks that just bought a gun and ammo are not taking them. The classes have all participants giving a short resume of your shooting background and you see how capable most if not all are. Life is a 360 degree situation and there is no "Unload and Show Clear". BTW, all the courses wanted you to arrive CCW and loaded ready to go to the line and shoot after the safety briefing.
    Pyzik likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Great report
    Pyzik likes this.

Blue, same here... we all showed up guns in holsters ready to go. You touched one thing I really enjoyed and failed to mention. My comfort with the shooters around me. All but one were at least as experienced as me. Even the one guy who wasn't quite as experienced was very competent and had more experience than most of the guys at my local range.

Links