40+ years of shooting and I'm switching to a lefty

This is a discussion on 40+ years of shooting and I'm switching to a lefty within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At least that's my hope. I'm a south paw but, other than writing, I do everything right handed. I'm left eye dominant and there's not ...

Thread: 40+ years of shooting and I'm switching to a lefty

Distinguished Member

At least that's my hope. I'm a south paw but, other than writing, I do everything right handed. I'm left eye dominant and there's not a thing I can do about that. Less often than I should, I practice shooting on the weak side. Lately I've been noticing my ability to line up the sights with my left hand and with both eyes open, as it should be. Okey dokey, I picked up a pellet gun and started practicing. Wow, it's like coming home. So it'll be an interesting experiment to see if I can retrain myself at 55 to shoot native. There's muscle memory, muscle toning, trigger finger, grip and on and on. But I'm hitting what I shooting at.

Oh Lord, think of the holster investment.

Anyway folks, if any of you have sage advise, I'm listening. I figure this'll be a years worth of training.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

It's actually much easier than you may be anticipating. I am left-handed but right-eye dominant. I still shoot handguns lefty, as it is a simple adjustment, but it's impossible with long guns without an occluder. I can also do it that way as well but a few years ago I decided to teach myself to shoot long guns right-handed. In no more than about 3 weeks of practice, it felt almost "normal." These days, it's just as easy as shooting left-handed. With you going back to "native" anyway, it should happen for you even faster.

Senior Moderator
    Keep practicing.

A few years ago our Mayor and his wife attended one of the CHL classes that our club gives. I take the new shooters and give them extra coaching and working with them for as long as it takes to be able to hit the target.

He was using a 9mm and couldn't even get close to an 8x10 sheet of paper at 7 yards. I got to watching him and standing behind him and it was obvious that he was cross eye shooting. He was shooting with his right hand and lining up the sights with his left eye and it wasn't working very well for him. He mentioned that he had been shooting his whole life and the safest place to be was in front of him cause he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. He wasn't kidding either.

I explained to him what he was doing and talked him into shooting with his left hand. Within a few minutes he was on the paper and about a box of ammo later he was shooting the center out of the target. He was ecstatic. Even his wife, which was a great shot, couldn't believe the difference. Now he shoots all the time. Once he started hitting the target it became more enjoyable for him.

All it is practice, practice and more practice. Soon you'll be doing it without even thinking. In a defensive situation, that's where you need to be. Look, draw and shoot at the target. Use both eyes and let your dominate eye do the work. Soon it will be smooth and fast.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Over the years I've found a lot of shooters with the same problem, practice and you'll do fine.. good luck

...I'm lefty and right eye dominant...all I can do with my right side is shoot a long gun and swing a bat...and don't do either well with the left side...I've always shot with both eyes open...that works well...

I have trained myself over the last 20 + years to do everything with both hands. So we could not only shoot, but feel comftorable shooting, with both hands we started to do everyday tasks with ones off hand. From cracking eggs and scrambling them, doing the dishes, using a remote for the TV, tying shoes, tying a tie. Do about 30 percent of your daily tasks with your off hand and you will be very surprised how fast your brain gets wired to doing stuff with both hands.

Besides shooting, it is a bonus when you have an injury to your dominant hand/arm...which happened a lot to us LOL

BTW: don't forget gun related tasks. They ususally are fine motor skills. Loading magazines, practicing your draw, malfunction drills.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member
    I've always shot with the right eye so I've never had the challenge that I've seen in many folks of trying to bring the dominant eye into play by crossing over. But I've always had to close the left. Of course I'm working on improving, ain't we all? Range time. And with that many years, I'm not a bad shot. But it sure will be interesting to see what happens.

I have realized that in all probability, if one ignores the aesthetics, a Simply Rugged holster is probably ambi. It's a pancake. So I've got that going for me and that's why I allowed myself to order one today for the Model 60. Right hand. Maybe that was a mistake.

I'll keep you posted on the progress.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Hey, we should all be able to shoot with either hand. Good luck being "sinister!"
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Sponsored Links