Overzealous prosecution thread.

This is a discussion on Overzealous prosecution thread. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This thread is about a certain trial we all just watched. It's not really about GZ per say but it's about how the prosecution used ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Overzealous prosecution thread.

VIP Member

This thread is about a certain trial we all just watched. It's not really about GZ per say but it's about how the prosecution used GZ's past to try and implicate him. In what way would we, each of us, be vulnerable to that type of thing?

I was wanting to discuss how each person here on DC would relate to being in the "hot seat" and what they fear an overzealous prosecutor could use from their past. Examples would be things like posting here on DC in general and specific posts with harsh wording. Also things like SD classes they've attended (like Z's MMA lessons) or carrying with one in the pipe.

Keep in mind that I have spoken with a mod to get permission for this thread and we have a pretty short leash here. Keep it about you and your concerns relating to the hot seat.

What scares you the most---->ABOUT YOUR PAST<---- after watching the Z trial?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Anything and everything can and will be subjectively twisted to fit a prosecution agenda. That is how prosecution works. I would be very reluctant to say anything about my scary past on an internet forum.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Not about my past so much as my present... I carry a weapon with no external safety, with HP rounds and one in the pipe (just like the police do, I would like to add).
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Examples would be like postings on this forum so I'm not gonna spill my secrets here ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR cuz robots are cooler than fruit.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Anything and everything can and will be subjectively twisted to fit a prosecution agenda. That is how prosecution works. I would be very reluctant to say anything about my scary past on an internet forum.
    I don't mean from your "scary" past. I mean things like college classes or military training.

Example: For me I fear my posting on DC and six year history here. I'm sure that many of my posts could be twisted out of context to paint me as a blood thirsty wanna be killer. Also my military record is quite good but could they use it to say I'm disturbed or wanting to relive my glory days? I also shoot pretty regularly in matches. How would they use that against me?

I'm looking for stuff like that, not our collective dirt. Once we identify and agree on some potential land mines then maybe we can eliminate them or at least better prepare for our future.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Not about my past so much as my present... I carry a weapon with no external safety, with HP rounds and one in the pipe (just like the police do, I would like to add).
    OK. So how do you defend yourself from the "Mr. Guy" treatment with the above concerns?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I think my posting on gun forums and carrying a BUG might be used by an overzealous prosecutor.

Not that I am going to alter these habits...
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    This thread is about a certain trial we all just watched. It's not really about GZ per say but it's about how the prosecution used GZ's past to try and implicate him. In what way would we, each of us, be vulnerable to that type of thing?

I was wanting to discuss how each person here on DC would relate to being in the "hot seat" and what they fear an overzealous prosecutor could use from their past. Examples would be things like posting here on DC in general and specific posts with harsh wording. Also things like SD classes they've attended (like Z's MMA lessons) or carrying with one in the pipe.

Keep in mind that I have spoken with a mod to get permission for this thread and we have a pretty short leash here. Keep it about you and your concerns relating to the hot seat.

You really want me to post what I am most scared about in relation to a future prosecution????

Seriously, should the posts become evidence, everything here would likely be reviewed and, depending on the facts, the most unflattering posts in relation to the facts would be used.

What concerns me the most are my posts here, but not overly so. I could easily be portrayed as a gun nut, and so could anyone here, and especially those that have guns as avatars or posted pics of guns. Oh well. I'll worry about that if Plan A* fails.

*Plan A: Avoid ever getting into a situation in which I have to use my gun in self defense.
    atctimmy and niks like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    You really want me to post what I am most scared about in relation to a future prosecution????

Seriously, should the posts become evidence, everything here would likely be reviewed and, depending on the facts, the most unflattering posts in relation to the facts would be used.

What concerns me the most are my posts here, but not overly so. I could easily be portrayed as a gun nut, and so could anyone here, and especially those that have guns as avatars or posted pics of guns. Oh well. I'll worry about that if Plan A* fails.

*Plan A: Avoid ever getting into a situation in which I have to use my gun in self defense.
    But people with sock monkey avatars with get the special padded cell.
    atctimmy, PEF, Jeanlouise and 2 others like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post

Generalities man! Generalities, not specifics!

Kinda hard to hide military service and job history. People one didn't get along with - especially those with a propensity to take things you say out of context. Jokes told in the past. Maybe it would be best to do a reset and move every 5 yrs to get away from the current session of acquiring such baggage and ISP history.
    NONAME762 likes this.

To keep details at a minimum, what would worry me the most is the training I've received. It really sucks to know that the steps you've taken to better protect you and yours could later be used against you.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Not just posting here but also anything you post on any social media such as Facebook or any other forums may be may be used against you. Range membership may be portrayed as a means to better hone ones killing skills.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    There is no defense against the Mr. Guy treatment.
    Hopyard and atctimmy like this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Generalities man! Generalities, not specifics!
    Nothing really in my past, but I should not underestimate the imaginative ingenuity of an overzealous prosecutor.

After watching this trial, my guns, my knowledge of guns, my posts, and carry practices would require that my defense hire an expert witness on self-defense practices to explain why I'm just a middle-age transactional attorney and not a maniacal wannabe shootist with a thirst for blood.

I think Txexpat had a nice summary of painted picture in the now retired thread...
    atctimmy and TX expat like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I have a pretty bad past. Been in the slammer in two countries, for fistacuffs with members of her Majesty's Royal Marines, and a few others. I had a rather bad habit of having an intolerance for nonsense and big mouths in my youthful days.
    But I contend to this day, I never, ever, gave it to someone smaller than I or who didn't ask for it.

Then, they could probably pick me apart for my short but colorful career on the rodeo circuit.
    Between Hosea and Jack, and not enough sense to run from someone wielding a blade, a good prosecutor would have much to tell about.

But thankfully, for the love of a good woman, an old Federal Agent who thought I was worth a chance, and the good Lord saving me from my stupid self, I got it together long enough for my sensibility to catch up with me.

Sooo, I hope I am never in that place where a light is shown on my past, and that past may determine the outcome of my future.
    My grandfather used to say that a man can have a couple years of wild drinking, and live the next 55 years of his life as a saint, but people will always remember the bad.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links