Question for the instructors out there

This is a discussion on Question for the instructors out there within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I've been away again I've joined the Texas State Guard and getting myself ramped up and as prepared for the Texas hurricane season. In ...

Thread: Question for the instructors out there

Question for the instructors out there

Since I've been away again I've joined the Texas State Guard and getting myself ramped up and as prepared for the Texas hurricane season. In all of my training and meeting people, I've found myself involved in the beginnings of a Texas Military Forces CHL cadre training program, to provide CHL classes to the Texas Military Forces (obviously).

When I become an NRA and CHL instructor I have a long list of deaf people who want me to teach them to shoot and also teach them the CHL material. As of right now every range they go to in the Collin County area turns them away due to safety concerns. So my question is this, what are some tips and tactics I could use to use to show a range there are no safety concerns and to allow me to rent time on the lanes to train and test people? Winchester Shooting gallery in Ft. Worth has said they have no problem with it, they liked my idea of flashing the back stop lights. Problem is, Ft. Worth is a looong way from Collin County where most of my time is spent.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

Strobe flashlight from behind controlled by instructor for cease fire works well and requires no additional work to install or a second individual to relay commands to so the lights get switched.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

If all else fails, you may be able to fall back on the American with Disabilities Act to persuade these businesses. I worked at a range and we didn't have a problem with deaf shooters - except the one that complained he couldn't understand the range commands; he didn't want to admit he needed hearing aids. We had lights to indicate range status and when we were aware of them on the range it was no trouble to tap them on the shoulder to let them know a cease fire was coming. Since hearing protection is required on just about all ranges, a visual indicator should used as well. Additionally, if there's a hearing instructor to pass along commands, there should be no problem.

I've thought about the handheld strobe or a laser pointer with different colors to flash across the targets, I might have to test those out and see how well they work. I'm also going to talk to my First Sergent, who works at a range, to see if he'd be up for it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Links