Shot timer, M&P pistols and a fun afternoon

This is a discussion on Shot timer, M&P pistols and a fun afternoon within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got out today on the range and practiced drawing against the timer using my M&P .22 and m&P .40 full size. Fired the .22 first ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By rocky
  • 3 Post By rocky
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By rocky
  • 2 Post By tacman605
  • 1 Post By TX expat

Thread: Shot timer, M&P pistols and a fun afternoon

Lead Moderator

Got out today on the range and practiced drawing against the timer using my M&P .22 and m&P .40 full size. Fired the .22 first to get the feel of draw and firing as it had been a while. My best time was 1.74 , and typical .1.81 to 1.94 for a decent draw using a Serpa holster and drawing from concealment under a t shirt. Distance was 7 yards.
    This makes me realize how much more I need to practice to be effective. Granted the targets were reduced , so I had to acquire a sight picture to hit but I feel I. Can improve quite a bit. A few fumbled draws hit 2.28 range which could well happen in a panic /stressful situation.
    Ignore the small group above the target , I was attempting to sight in magpul pts sights on my M&P 15-22 .
    Attached Images
    atctimmy and HAGJewels like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    A shot timer really helps give you an idea of where you stand. I really need to get my own and stop borrowing my friends.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Lead Moderator
    This shot timer is an app on my iPhone. Works well enough for free
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Wow, great idea Rocky!

Will look into that for our use on our range.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Very neat. What's the App name if you don't mind me asking?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I use this one, and it works great. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/free...338091445?mt=8
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    That is a great idea.The first gun,i ever had my Dad gave me.The first gun,i ever bought,,which was a few yrs back,was a used M&P40,full size.I love it,and can shoot it better than my GL23.but,the M&P,is just to big to conceal.It's concealed near me in my house.I've had it,about 7 yrs.,and,it jammed 2 times.New mag,stopped that.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandpgrl View Post
    That is a great idea.The first gun,i ever had my Dad gave me.The first gun,i ever bought,,which was a few yrs back,was a used M&P40,full size.I love it,and can shoot it better than my GL23.but,the M&P,is just to big to conceal.It's concealed near me in my house.I've had it,about 7 yrs.,and,it jammed 2 times.New mag,stopped that.
    I carry my full-sized M&P regularly IWB. It conceals easily with the set-up I use.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    It is called shot timer and was found on i tunes. It appears to be the same one mike1956 linked .

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Yep it will humble you quickly using a shot timer. Main thing is though if you mess up the draw, grip, not having a round chambered and so on do not stop and start over continue on and you will actually see how much time it takes to make the shot.

I put it on an IPad and then plug in a Jawbone speaker so it can be heard even with the best in hearing protection.
    Rock and Glock and TSiWRX like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    It is called shot timer and was found on i tunes. It appears to be the same one mike1956 linked .
    I use that one as well. It works pretty darn good for free.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I use the same app on my droid. Works well..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Links