Using my Laserlyte cartridge to zero in my LaserMax sight on the LC9

This is a discussion on Using my Laserlyte cartridge to zero in my LaserMax sight on the LC9 within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that I probably sound like I work for Laserlyte and that this is probably stating the obvious, but last night I flipped on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Using my Laserlyte cartridge to zero in my LaserMax sight on the LC9

I know that I probably sound like I work for Laserlyte and that this is probably stating the obvious, but last night I flipped on the LaserMax and used my LaserLyte 9mm cartridge to zero it in. On first shot it was a few inches off at 10 yards away but it wasn't long before the two were dead on. I know that you can use your iron sights to do the same thing, but even doing that didn't put the two red dots together.

It feels good to know that my CC weapon is ready for action in that moment of need and that the bullet will go exactly where that red dot is painted. It only takes about a minute to do too.

Another great reason to get the Laserlyte system. Target practice and precision sight adjusting make it worth every penny.

Distinguished Member
    Had not thought of that. I need to get a Laserlyte for each of my carry pistols. Drawback is they are three different calibers. Expensive. Thanks for sharing the tip.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    Had not thought of that. I need to get a Laserlyte for each of my carry pistols. Drawback is they are three different calibers. Expensive. Thanks for sharing the tip.
    You're welcome.

I like the caliber specific cartridge as it doubles as a snap cap but they actually have a universal cartridge that fits 9mm, 40s&w, .45acp, 38sp, .380 Auto, 357sig, 10mm and 45lc. It is inserted in the front of the barrel and is sound activated. I'm guessing you'd need a snap cap for this one unless your gun is good with being dry fired. Google them and go to their website. They've got plenty of videos and pictures there to help you make up your mind.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    What calibers are you talking about? I know laser ammo has a kit that does 9mm, .40, .45 and .223 for $195.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I used it to sight in my CTC grip. Worked great.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I have found that my LaserLyte Cartridges(9,40 & 45) do not always insert to the same POA each time. Most of the time, they will correct themselves after several strikes.

A good approach. You still should test it at the range when possible. It will be close, but only the bullets know where the bullets will go.
    rocky likes this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    A good approach. You still should test it at the range when possible. It will be close, but only the bullets know where the bullets will go.
    Believe me, I will follow your advice, and often. I start thinking about my next trip to the range as soon as I pack up from the last one. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Grant View Post
    I have found that my LaserLyte Cartridges(9,40 & 45) do not always insert to the same POA each time. Most of the time, they will correct themselves after several strikes.
    One of the reason I like the Laser Ammo system, the muzzle pipe centers the laser and ensures an accurate insert each time. I have seen the POA be very much the same each time that you put the laser in. We didn't really notice this until we got the Laser part of the OCAT System working, once we could see the hits on the computer screen it was easy to see that the Laser Lyte didn't keep the same impact point each time you put it in.

One way to fix the "point of impact" problem with the laser lyte cartridge is to put a "up" mark on the cartridge. Just use a permanent marker and mark the top, and put it in with the top up each time, you will then keep the same hit spot.
    TSiWRX likes this.

That's good advice about marking the cartridge. I might try to remove it and rotate it around too just to see if it it goes off and by how much. If it is off, I'll see if a few shots will help it settle back into position.

Firing from my Beretta using the iron sights, the Laserlyte seems pretty consistent in relation to the spot it leaves on the target though.

I'll report back after I do some more research.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob2.0 View Post
    Believe me, I will follow your advice, and often. I start thinking about my next trip to the range as soon as I pack up from the last one. :)
    Good to hear! I'd love to get to the range more than I do. Only made a few trips this summer, just too busy these days.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

I know what you mean about being busy. Outdoor range time is about my only escape from a 60 hour work week so I try to slip away for a couple of hours on the weekends. The Laserlyte target offers some mini-breaks at the office that are pretty fun too though. As a matter of fact I think it's about time to see how tight of a grouping I can make...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob2.0 View Post
    I know what you mean about being busy. Outdoor range time is about my only escape from a 60 hour work week so I try to slip away for a couple of hours on the weekends. The Laserlyte target offers some mini-breaks at the office that are pretty fun too though. As a matter of fact I think it's about time to see how tight of a grouping I can make...
    That is why I like using the OCAT System, I have it set up in the house all of the time. Just run the app, spend 10 minutes shooting. It is a great way to relax when the munchkins are being "high energy".

As promised, I tested my LaserLyte 9mm cartridge to see if the point of impact changed after removal and reinsertion. With the LaserMax sight turned on, I adjusted it until the LL dot fell exactly where the LM dot was. After several shots I removed the LL cartridge and reinserted it, rotating it each time so it would go in differently than before. Usually the first few shots were off by about an inch at 10 yards away but as one of you guys mentioned, it does zero back in after a few strikes. A couple of times it was just a tad off at 10 yards where the LL was right next to the LM dots, but overall it was close enough to give me confidence that if I needed to fire, the LM dot could lead the way to a good shot. For me, the LaserLyte passed the test.
    I don't know how it will perform after extensive use but will report back here over time. It could be that the o rings on it might wear and cause some fluctuation, or the constant strikes might eventually lead to some issues. I know they sell replacement kits for these things so we'll see how it goes.

Probably the only thing I don't like about the system is that my groupings are getting tight enough to where I'm shooting in the same spot a lot. For example, I will shoot five times and only have three or four dots show up. I wish it had a setting where you could set it to automatically show your hits in preset intervals of say 5 seconds after the last shot. It would be nice to get a little closer to live feedback like you get with the OCAT system.

More later to be sure.

I have a laserlyte mounted on both a LCP380 and a LC9 both work fine in conditions they are designed for.
    While you have the same issue as any sight hit depends on distance it was sighted at both with end useable range you will get the job done.
    I also have a CT on another weapon the CT is easier to see in day light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links