How do you train with a pocket pistol?

This is a discussion on How do you train with a pocket pistol? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How do you train with your pocket gun? I was thinking about this today as I was practicing my reloads with my NAA Guardian. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How do you train with a pocket pistol?

How do you train with your pocket gun?

I was thinking about this today as I was practicing my reloads with my NAA Guardian. I often take some time to practice fast reloads without having to look at the gun to build up the muscle memory I may need in a pinch. And when it comes to using the gun, its to the range at distances under 20 feet. But thinking more practically, I came up with a better practice session. I have been taking martial arts for years, but have never thought of this. I am going to find a nice pocket sized practice gun that makes an audible click when the trigger is pulled and practice while engaging an attacker within arms reach. This is the real reason we carry these small caliber, tiny guns in our pocket. practicing trying to get to the gun while grappling with an attacker who has a knife may be a good drill too.

Learning to access your firearm while someone is attacking you or trying to reach for the gun is a vital piece of knowledge that I think too few people even think of. I would love to attend an actual pocket gun training seminar. I do carry a full size when I can, but work dictates that I can only carry something small in my pocket concealed. Any piece of training I can get on what I carry is something I would like to know.
    StormRhydr likes this.

AOK
    Close range gun fighting is a very important skill set to work on and master. Quite often it requires being able to apply effective h2h techniques so you can bring your gun into the fight at the appropriate time. While nothing replaces actually working on these techniques against a resisting opponent such as a properly ran Force on Force class, like you I have experienced working on these techniques at home is certainly within the realm of possibility. Personally I utilized a variety of training equipment from a heavy bag to a grappling dummy to dowel rods and blue guns and more.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    First make sure you get it out of your pocket. LOL
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    This is a very good question and not one I had given a lot of thought to. I carry a pocket pistol when forced by circumstances to do so. Never thought much about how to get the darned thing out of my pocket if under physical assault.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

AOK
    While pocket carry may be a necessity based on certain everyday life factors, bringing the gun into the fight while in a physical altercation is very difficult. It's one of the major shortcomings of pocket carry.

What's your opinion of the NAA Guardian and what caliber are you shooting...?

Since getting back into this, training has been a top priority for me. Although I'm good with my full size, I force myself to focus 80% of my time on my CC (LC9). I try to get to the range once a week and then LaserLyte train pretty much all evening long. I have the gun and target out all the time. I'll draw and shoot at 7 yards, and then do some 15 yard shooting just to keep working on trigger control and getting good groupings. Wherever I go I practice situational awareness, as I sure all of you do. My boys and I are doing something new. We'll just be going through our regular evening routines and one of them will say, "now" and whoever has the gun has to draw and hit the target from wherever they are.

Not trying to act like Im an expert, or anything, but you might also want to try practicing at 6'. Repeat: 6'. And distances in between.

And firing from retention positions, etc. And, moving when drawing/shooting. Or "Getting off the X".
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob2.0 View Post
    Since getting back into this, training has been a top priority for me. Although I'm good with my full size, I force myself to focus 80% of my time on my CC (LC9). I try to get to the range once a week and then LaserLyte train pretty much all evening long. I have the gun and target out all the time. I'll draw and shoot at 7 yards, and then do some 15 yard shooting just to keep working on trigger control and getting good groupings. Wherever I go I practice situational awareness, as I sure all of you do. My boys and I are doing something new. We'll just be going through our regular evening routines and one of them will say, "now" and whoever has the gun has to draw and hit the target from wherever they are.

VIP Member
    I leave mine in the safe.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Try hard not to shoot your foot off!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I practice it, just pulling it out and getting it fired as quickly as possible at as close a range as possible.

One reason I pocket carry is it seems that the weapon may be more accessible to me and less accessible to the BG I may be wrestling with if it's in my pocket. Most BG's wouldn't think to look there, I would think.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Before I got my full-size .45 auto, I often carried a little .25 pocket gun "just in case". And usually still do (in colder months, due to clothing) as a back-up/last-ditch gun, in case I cant get the .45 into action, or it malfunctions, etc.

Here's what I did/do to train for this though-
    1) Some snap-caps. (safe, can do it indoors or out, and doesnt harm your firing-pin when dry-firing.)
    2) I carry my pocket pistol on my left side, my .45 on my right (strong) side. This way if one hand is restrained, damaged, blocked, etc. I can still get to something with the other hand, most -likely.
    3) I practice drawing from whichever pocket (pants/coat, etc.) the pocket-pistol is in, and getting the 1st shot on-target. Do it over and over and over, until it's 2nd nature, and fast.
    -with the snap-caps, and semi-autos- this brings in some more training- since it doesnt cycle a semi's action, it can act as a "dud" round or FTF, and promotes practicing clearing that malfunction, and going again. (with revolver, as u describe, not an issue).

When firing live-rounds-
    1) I start pistol in pocket, target at just inside arms-length. Draw and point-shoot 1st shot/center-mass.
    2) Push back, away from target to beyond arms-length and follow-up with 2 shots.
    3) Step back even further, and mag-dump whatever's left center-mass, as fast as possible.

(actually, I should add to this. I'm in a remote/rural area with a lot of property. So this is feasible for me , at home. Im not aware of any ranges out here that even permit draw and fire drills, or rapid-firing, soo... if you can get somewhere out of sight/out of mind and practice, it's worth it).

Draw point pull trigger at the range I'd deploy a pocket pistol nothing else needed.

I carry both a G19 and a P238. I think in a strong-arm scenario, my P238 would be of more use to me. I can already have my hand with full purchase on the grip without anyone knowing.

IMO, drawing a gun that I already have in my hand (in my pocket) is quicker than drawing my G19 from concealment. Not to mention that if someone says, "give me your wallet," what is more natural than reaching into your pocket?

I practice drawing from my pocket (dry fire).
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    GunSight in Arizona has a Pocket class with a test in the shoot house! If you're rich and famous like the AZ state congresswoman who pointed her LCP at a reporter you can get the class for free, otherwise you'll pay!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links