Training LEOs vs Citizen training

This is a discussion on Training LEOs vs Citizen training within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey, As a newbie, how much time should I spend at the range to get/keep proficient at drawing from a concealed carry? How much time ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Training LEOs vs Citizen training

Training LEOs vs Citizen training

Hey,

As a newbie, how much time should I spend at the range to get/keep proficient at drawing from a concealed carry? How much time do LEOs spend at the range? Is that a good measurement to compare myself to?

Thanks,
    CWOLDOJAX

2. Remove Ads

Its not a good measure, most departments have semi annual qualifications. If you want to keep your trigger, sight alignment and sight picture skills up. You can dry practice a couple of times a week and hit the range every other week. About 50-100 rounds will work.
    WHEC724, Hoganbeg, TSiWRX and 1 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

LEOs can spend as little as the annual qualification range time to a few range sessions a week or more.

You do not need to "compare" yourself to anyone. You just need to train and practice enough to be confident in your skills to prevail against the evil you see in everyday life.

I base my training and practice on the belief that I don't want my last thought on this planet to be "I wish I had put a bit more into preperation".
    stylus, TSiWRX and USM1976 like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

You need to shoot until you are confident that you can safely draw, fire, and reholster your firearm consistently. There is no set "standard" that you must reach before you can venture into the world armed. I strongly recommend seeking a training course. This will give you a strong foundation to build upon. You can never practice too much.
    TSiWRX and USM1976 like this.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

Most ranges that Ive been to, dont let you draw and shoot from the holster quickly. They are basically strictly marksmanship/recreation.

Just going to the range and working on trigger pull, sigt picture, and manipulation of the gun is practice. What are you practicing, though? Are you doing it properly? Safely? Who knows. You need professional training to show you what to practice, and how to do it safely. A self defense scenario isnt going to be a torso-sized target standing 5 yards away, fully squared to you, standing still, with you just aiming and shooting. Its much more dynamic than that.

Sign up for some sort of defensive pistol class, and they will actually train you in self defense scenarios and other fundamentals such as drawing and firing while on the move. Then once you what to do, you can practice that stuff.

The way it was put that made most sense to me was there is a difference between training and practicing. You train to learn what to do, then practice what you train to master it. Going to the range and just shooting a static target with the correct stance, with perfectly aimed shots is nothing more than marksmanship training. While still important, it isnt all of it.

Ive never personally taken a course like this, but plan to when the timing/money is better.
    TSiWRX and Blue Thunder like this.

There is also another scenario. Draw, present, then reholster without shooting. At my range training my shooting buddy will yell safe target without warning.
    Regards,
    OldGringo
    Thin Blue Line - LEMC
    Victory Riders Association
    Patriot Guard Riders
    "Standing for those who stood for us"

Thanks y'all,

I will be taking a Guns 101 class with my wife (who does not want the class and not looking forward to life with a gun on her sweetheart). The 101 class only covers safe handling of a handgun. Nothing about self defense.

I think there are classes in the JAX area I can inquire about.

Everything important I've ever learned started in a class. Makes sense to go to one for self defense too. Thanks guys for the tips
    "for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." -- Paul

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Train, Train and more training Great for us all. I remember about 5 yrs. ago. In Wisconsin a white tail deer jumped through a barber shop window being chased there by a dog. Deer went nuts inside, Cops were called , Dnr. warden was called,. they both stood out side trying to figure out what to do. well the cop drew his gun and fired 2 full clips, never hit BAMBI. deer jumped out same window and left in a hurry! Yes sir practice pays. On the other hand, practice does not make Perfect but, PERFECT PRACTICE does..
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

Take a defensive pistol class from a qualified instructor. In your area Scott Whigham comes to mind (see the Florida Concealed Forum) if you want to travel a couple hours, Terry Hall Enterprises trains out of Volusia County Hunt and Gun Club. He's a great instructor also (my wife and I have taken a lot of training with him the past year plus). But, above all, TRAIN for the day when you MUST use your weapon as if your LIFE and the LIVES of others depended on it.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Train until you are comfortable. Most police only shoot to qualify semiannually. At a bare minimum for me would be once a month, and that's pushing it. I like to go about 2-3 times a month, more if I can, but heavy work/school schedules hinder that.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Was Bambi laughing at the cop? ;-)
    "for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." -- Paul

I am a bit surprised that LEOs only qual twice/yr. I have been to the indoor range twice/month and want to go more.

Quote Originally Posted by kaikane0812 View Post
    ...In your area Scott Whigham comes to mind (see the Florida Concealed Forum) ... But, above all, TRAIN for the day when you MUST use your weapon as if your LIFE and the LIVES of others depended on it.
    Huge thanks! I will check it out.

Get a super dependable gun, shoot 300 rounds through it. Then learn 'situational awareness' (Don't get into bad situations) .... then spend a few bucks on a training course. Other than SWAT types, I don't think cops train much.

My instructor is a POST certified pistol, rifle & shotgun instructor for a local PD. I am a civilian. I am very fortunate to have a close friend who is also an instructor. He makes his officers train a TON more than most local departments. His advice to me when he first encouraged me to get my CCW was "train as much as you are able to train."

Train draw, re-holster, tap/rack, point of aim, off-hand draw, shooting from cover, everything you can think of and stuff you can't think of that you just happened to read here or on other forums. I even train drawing while seated in my car.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links