What is your definition of a successful outcome?

This is a discussion on What is your definition of a successful outcome? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While updating my lesson plan for an upcoming home defense class I came across a question that needs some more data. In a SD situation ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: What is your definition of a successful outcome?

VIP Member

While updating my lesson plan for an upcoming home defense class I came across a question that needs some more data.

In a SD situation whether it be home invasion, robbery on the street, or interceding in an event while you are armed what is your definition of a successful outcome of the event?

I did not want a simple poll result but why you think the way you do.

Does the suspect have to be shot/killed?

He leaves no harm no foul so to speak?

If shot he simply leaves the scene?

Your answer is not limited to the above but you get the drift.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member
    BG leaves, no harm no foul is the best outcome for me. Then I don't have to worry about the "Zimmerman effect" even if I am totally in the right. Being right doesn't mean I am free from prosecution or persecution.

If the BG is scared off hopefully he/ she has learned a lesson. The only bad thing is the BG lives to do bad again. But considering the consequences, I still like my original answer.

In a perfect world the BG runs away into a busy street and gets killed
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Distinguished Member
    No shots fired, suspect/aggressor flees and is later apprehended. If in my home, hopefully they tried to get in but were unsuccessful and fled.
    StormRhydr and Tzadik like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    As long as I am not injured or dead any outcome is OK with me. Before I purchased a firearm I looked in the mirror and convinced myself that I will do everything and anything, as far as using my firearm, to secure the safety of my family and myself regardless of the outcome vis a vis the BGs. I could not care less about the BGs.
    niks likes this.

Best outcome: me and mine are unharmed, BG flees, no confrontation.

Realistically, the first point is the most important.
    niks and miller_man like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

We are safe and the media never hears about it unless I submit it to the "Armed Citizen" section in the NRA American Rifleman magazine.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

A "successful outcome" would be one where you were able to avoid or stop a threat. Everything else is dependent on the interpretation of 12 other people.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member
    The GG holds the BG at gunpoint until the LEO arrive to take the BG away so they can't hurt anyone anymore.
    CJ_mp40c likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

If the threat is stopped and you don't end up playing pin-the-pelvis with Bubba, I'd say you did alright.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

My definition of a successful outcome is one in which I am able to walk away relatively unharmed without any long lasting physical effects.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    best outcome, me, family and bystanders unharmed. BG gets hit by semi trailer while running from the cops, room and board in hell don't cost the tax payers anything.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

AOK
    1. Avoid the situation all together.
    2. If I'm not successful avoiding all together, deter threat from trying to attempt to their poor decision.
    3. If I'm not successful avoiding or detering, impose my will (one level higher on my own "force continuum" than the threat(s).)

Either way for me it is about being in control of the situation and my environment. If I don't have control initially I need to regain it as fast as possible. Hopefully I have control at #1. If I don't then regain control at #2 and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    While updating my lesson plan for an upcoming home defense class I came across a question that needs some more data.

In a SD situation whether it be home invasion, robbery on the street, or interceding in an event while you are armed what is your definition of a successful outcome of the event?

I did not want a simple poll result but why you think the way you do.

Your answer is not limited to the above but you get the drift.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
    The best outcome for any defensive situation is that no one gets hurt, BG goes to jail and all are happy. That is the best outcome...

If the suspect has to be shot, then yes its a good outcome. Providing that the GG and family is unharmed.

The best...He leaves no one is shot, make a call to the PD to report the occurrence..

If he leaves, after being shot, stop shooting the threat has stopped. Again call PD...

Truth is, the question is so broad, that a novel could be written on the subject as to it being a good outcome or not. In a simply form type answer this is mine. Any SD event that me and mine walk away from is a good outcome....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Best outcome, Would being able for me and my loved ones, to be able to open our eyes tomorrow.

I have experienced the best outcome, in real life, for me and the way I think.

It was December of 2005 and I had returned to the USA from a year-long deployment in Iraq. Our command granted us a 30-day leave and I went back home to visit my parents in Texas. While visiting, I picked up a brand-new Sig P226 .40S&W with some of my savings. Dad and I took it to the range and I got a good feel for it.

Fast forward to a few days later around 2AM. I'm sleeping in my old bedroom which is connected to a utility room with an outside access door. My trusty sidekick Border Collie jumped onto the bed, licked my face, and started a low growl towards the door as I awoke. I could hear someone trying to turn the doorknob. So, I got up and secured my handgun, went into my parents' bedroom, did a body accountability, and woke them to say, "There's someone trying to open the back door. Stay here while I investigate."

As I returned to my room. I saw the door heave in a few times from the force of someone trying to break it. I yelled, "I have a gun and will use it if you continue." Whoever it was gave one last heave, breaking the cheap door lock and started to open the door. I drew down on the door frame waiting. Out of the blue, my normally docile and submissive dog lunged at the door and bit the perp's hand. He screamed as he withdrew and ran. I could hear him jumping the chain-link fences to get out of the yard.

I was fully prepared to stop that perp in his tracks but his health or life was saved by a dog. That was probably the best outcome for both of us and my pup got an extra big meatbone from the butcher shop the next day. Given that the perp was warned in no uncertain terms and still continued to proceed, I think this was about as good as it gets.
    “When they come--stay calm. It's a cannon!!!!!!!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links