Which self-defense/martial arts training would you take?

This is a discussion on Which self-defense/martial arts training would you take? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've wanted to get into some sort of hand-to-hand combat training for some time now and have recently been thinking more seriously about it. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Which self-defense/martial arts training would you take?

I've wanted to get into some sort of hand-to-hand combat training for some time now and have recently been thinking more seriously about it. I need to get in better shape and figure I might as well learn to defend myself while I'm at it. Looking around at the options in my area it appears I'd be limited to karate, kickboxing, boxing and most recently a Krav Maga place that opened recently. What are your opinions on the best of those options for a self defense scenario. I love what I've seen and read of Krav Maga but thought I'd look for input before diving in.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Im to old now to even do what I was trained in except for "click-pow"
    DJC7 and farsidefan1 like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Hilly Billy Earth Slam has never failed me.
    Jaeger, Ghost1958, DJC7 and 1 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

If it were me and I was looking to train strictly for self defense I would go with Krav Maga followed by Kickboxing then Boxing and my last choice would be Karate. No Brazilian Jiu Jitsu huh? Got a BJJ place practically on every corner where I live. It's becoming the Starbucks of the Martial Arts world.
    DJC7 likes this.

Do you have any friends who would be interested in sparring regularly? Ever since I was a kid, a group of friends and I have done this on the weekends.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    LOL. When I saw that I was going to say Hillbilly Kung Fu.

The Crav is what you want. It isn't a sport and it's all gross motor, meaning it's useful and effective when you're scared to death and fighting for your life. Crav is taught to soldiers and even the civilian courses are far more like military H2 than anything else. Like all training, allot of it is the teacher. Interview them before giving them money.
    blitzburgh and DJC7 like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

...I'm so old and slow I'd probably just give 'em a reason to slip and fall and shuffle on down the road...
    DJC7 likes this.

At my age, and with 'parts' missing, I'm pretty much in with the "Klick Pow" group...
    DJC7 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Krav Maga or Aikido would be my first choices... Looking into something to enroll my 5 year old in so we can take classes at the same time. I want something practical and usable in real life... Capoiera looks fun, but Brazilian dance fighting just seems to not be a good close quarters option...
    DJC7 and 5lima30ret like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

In all seriousness, Traditional Chinese Kenpo, which is street fighting in its most vicious form is what you want.
    I know Krav is all the fad now, but it is nothing more than Chinese Kenpo with a new twist.

Traditional Kenpo is not a sport, and because of its brutality, does not lend itself to sport or competition. Brutality is what you want; throat, eyes, groin, and all soft tissue, as well as breaking bones.
    Anything other than that is just flash sprinkled with horse hockey.
    missymay, Doghandler and tcbrad98 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Daishin View Post
    If it were me and I was looking to train strictly for self defense I would go with Krav Maga followed by Kickboxing then Boxing and my last choice would be Karate. No Brazilian Jiu Jitsu huh? Got a BJJ place practically on every corner where I live. It's becoming the Starbucks of the Martial Arts world.
    Actually, there are a couple BJJ places around. Forgot to add those. Would you still go Krav Maga?

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Do you have any friends who would be interested in sparring regularly? Ever since I was a kid, a group of friends and I have done this on the weekends.
    I doubt it, but definitely worth looking into. If nothing else maybe when I start taking some classes I will meet some folks who would like to spar outside of class.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    LOL. When I saw that I was going to say Hillbilly Kung Fu.

The Crav is what you want. It isn't a sport and it's all gross motor, meaning it's useful and effective when you're scared to death and fighting for your life. Crav is taught to soldiers and even the civilian courses are far more like military H2 than anything else. Like all training, allot of it is the teacher. Interview them before giving them money.
    The Krav Maga place offers a free intro class and I believe a couple other places do as well. I'll definitely take advantage of those to test the waters!
    ~Thomas Jefferson

~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    In all seriousness, Traditional Chinese Kenpo, which is street fighting in its most vicious form is what you want.
    I know Krav is all the fad now, but it is nothing more than Chinese Kenpo with a new twist.

Traditional Kenpo is not a sport, and because of its brutality, does not lend itself to sport or competition. Brutality is what you want; throat, eyes, groin, and all soft tissue, as well as breaking bones.
    Anything other than that is just flash sprinkled with horse hockey.
    I'll give that a look-see when a Kenpo shop opens up in the area.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

~Breda

VIP Member
    I love the click bang answer. For marshal arts at my age I'll call for my son in law across the street. A few years ago he beat the third ranked mma guy in the world. He is still pretty good. As for me, The older I get the better I was (says that on my license plate holder).
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Krav maga would get my vote. very direct and to the point in offensive and defensive tactics.i,ve been studying aikido for 5 years it,s great buy very technical meaning to do the throws,locks you have to spot on a lil left or right will kill the technique.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links