Defensive Carry banner

myron

606 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  TSiWRX 
#1 ·
As a beginner, how do I practice shooting when I wear glasses? My eyes give me a different sight picture. It is hard to see the front sight without my glasses but they are bifocals. What is better, one eye or both. It is all fuzzy for me. I have been doing fairly well point shooting.

#5 ·
Learn which eye is your dominant eye, it can be either eye or anywhere in-between, then always bring the gun up in front of that eye each time keeping both eyes open. You did not say just what type shooting you are wanting to do but since this is a CC forum I'm going with defensive.

I don't focus on the sight but on the target, because that is where the threat is. Pick a spot on where you want the shot to hit, spot should be kept small, about the size of a dime. Let the gun be your finger and just point to the spot. Your natural vision ability will see what it needs to see to make the hits you need to get the job done, which is hitting COM. The smaller the actual target or the more precise the hits need to be, the more focus on the sights you need. Then being able to see the sights become important.

I also have trouble seeing most iron sights these sights helped me. Speed Sights If you happen to carry a gun they work on.

I also I'm a big believer in point shooting and the concept of seeing what one needs to see to make the hits one needs, as fast as possible. Closer the distance the less input on the gun you need and the faster you can pull the trigger. Longer distance the more need of sight input and the slower one wants to do follow up shots.

To find dominant eye....point at something and then close one eye at a time...see which eye is actually pointing at the object you pointed at with both eyes open. Then to find your exact point of dominance point at someone else's dominant eye and have them tell you where your finger is on your eye line. Some people's exact point is between their eyes not directly on a eye.

That spot is your focal point and where you want the gun when pointing it at the target. Learn to bring the gun up to that point from the draw in your draw-stroke no matter what your position is or what direction you are shooting to or from. Get the gun in front of or under that focal point. Learn to have the sights lined up once the gun is drawn in come into firing position. Learn that with dry fire practice, time in front of a mirror.

#6 ·
Check with your local shooting community to find out if there are ophthalmologists/optometrists in your area that cater to the shooting sports.

"Defensively" speaking, however, you'll want to be used to shooting whatever you're using on a daily basis as your prescription corrective lenses. It's great to have a pair of shooting glasses set up for most pleasurable hobby shooting, class-work, etc., but if that's not the glasses you're going to be wearing when you're out and about in your regular daily life, then you're setting yourself up for failure for when you might need your gun most.

Additionally, once you're proficient, it'll also be good to shoot with non-prescription eye-protection in-place to see just where your absolute failure point is, as well as, even more importantly, at what distance you visually (as the exclusive cue) fail to be able to definitively identify friend from foe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.