Let me tell you about what I learned today!

This is a discussion on Let me tell you about what I learned today! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did I learn a lot!? I just got back in from shooting at my Thursday night IDPA club. I haven't even cleaned my Glock 19 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Let me tell you about what I learned today!

Let me tell you about what I learned today!

Did I learn a lot!?

I just got back in from shooting at my Thursday night IDPA club. I haven't even cleaned my Glock 19 yet and I wanted to pass this on.

A little back story...I am new to Glocks and I am relatively new to IDPA. I had shot it a few times in the past but it had been a while so I have gotten involved with the local club. I have attended every Thursday for the last 4 weeks including tonight.

Tonight was a little different, though. We had stages that required reload from slide lock tonight where in the last 3 Thursdays it's all been reload with a loaded chamber and mag retention.

The first thing I learned is when one of my local gun shops asked me if I wanted an extended slide stop release he had lying around for free I should have said no. I had 2 separate issues where the gun did not lock back because I was riding the slide stop. Glock OEM slide stop STAT! I never use the thing anyway because I have made a habit out of cycling the slide on a reload rather than hitting the slide stop release.

The second thing I learned is that if I do a brisk reload with the force of my hand hitting towards the rear of the magazine base plate the slide will run forward on it's own. This happened to me twice tonight. The first time caused me about a seconds pause, then I ran the slide to ensure the gun was chambered. The second time I realized what happened and ran the slide immediately without much pause. In both instances the gun did chamber and there was talk of whether or not I should earn a procedural violation but they counted it as a mag malfunction so no time penalty. Now I've heard James Yeager talk specifically about this but I had never had this happen to me, so I have never had to apply it. Anyway if it happens in the future I will continue to run the slide to ensure the pistol is chambered because I refuse to allow my self to be lulled into another bad practice even if I do take a penalty.

Funny how when you run a gun hard under a little stress things don't happen exactly how they happen when you are slow firing on a square range. IDPA is not training but it sure is good practice!
    NONAME762, WHEC724 and 40Bob like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    This is one of the things that aggravates me about IDPA. I understand that there must be rules in place however on the street those rules don't apply.

Keep going the way you are and train and compete to survive not to win the match.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

As some one who also has a Glock 19 and is trying to contact IDPA Carson City. Thanks and I'll keep trying.

And that, my friend, is the value of participating in games! Yes, it's on a square range, no, the targets don't shoot back, but the self-imposed pressure of competition and running against the clock get the adrenaline flowing. You quickly find out where your procedural gaps are. Here's a hint - have a friend video record you from time to time. Study your reloads, finger off trigger when moving, details like that... the camera sees things you won't remember. (Ask me how I know...)

Just one thought re your reloads. Don't ever count on slamming the mag home to drop the slide from slide lock. Nice when it happens, as it'll save you a half a second, but just don't rely on it happening when you need it most!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Just one thought re your reloads. Don't ever count on slamming the mag home to drop the slide from slide lock. Nice when it happens, as it'll save you a half a second, but just don't relay on it happening when you need it most!
    Agreed wholeheartedly...I'm going to continue to run the slide when this happens and it will cost me a round and maybe a procedural but that's not as important to me as proper martial gun handling.

Extended slide stops and mag releases are a waste of money. I see accidental mag dumps and inadvertent slide locks all the time by students who have installed such "upgrades". Other than night sights, keep it stock.
    WHEC724 and 357and40 like this.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Some consider auto-forwarding to be an Easter Egg feature.

Some consider it to be an unforgivable fault to be eliminated at all costs.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    Some consider auto-forwarding to be an Easter Egg feature.

Some consider it to be an unforgivable fault to be eliminated at all costs.
    Yup. Every one of my Glocks do it, and I don't mind a bit. I shoot too many other guns to depend on it, but it's always a pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    This is one of the things that aggravates me about IDPA. I understand that there must be rules in place however on the street those rules don't apply.

Keep going the way you are and train and compete to survive not to win the match.

Extremely important point. The "street" doesn't care about game rules. I've always done IPSC merely to impose time and movement constraints, not to get a score. I've nearly always done it with my concealment gear and weapon (though, generally only with cheaper "range" rounds). Points be damned, I'm doing it to force myself to get more competent and speedy through jam clearing, mag reloads and movement.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

For the uninitiated here, what is auto-forwarding?

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by thrasherg View Post

Gary
    When you slam a loaded mag into a Glock with a lot of force, it actually drops the slide release and it chambers the round and shuts the slide all at once.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Gary
    Slide goes home after a reload..

To the OP, The reasons you listed are some of the reasons I do not game with my weapon.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glocknjeep View Post
    IDPA is not training but it sure is good practice!
    It looks like it's a lot of fun too!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    When you slam a loaded mag into a Glock with a lot of force, it actually drops the slide release and it chambers the round and shuts the slide all at once.
    Many thanks, I had no idea my Glock would do that!! Will have to try it (But will not depend on it!!).

Gary

Many thanks, I had no idea my Glock would do that!! Will have to try it (But will not depend on it!!).

Gary
    I wonder if a lot of semi-autos won't do this occasionally. I've got a .22 S&W Model 41 target pistol that periodically auto-forwards, and my dad's Ruger P85 9mm does it every once in a while.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links