SC gun laws, I need info

This is a discussion on SC gun laws, I need info within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure where to get this info, if I need to contact county police or what and am hoping someone can direct my path so ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By GlassWolf
  • 1 Post By Jaybm
  • 1 Post By knight65
  • 1 Post By Oldpsufan
  • 1 Post By Sister

Thread: SC gun laws, I need info

Distinguished Member

SC gun laws, I need info

Not sure where to get this info, if I need to contact county police or what and am hoping someone can direct my path so I don't get this wrong.

I'm in the county. Where my home sits, the houses make a letter "Y" on how the streets go and I would be considered in the middle of the "Y". I think I can shoot in my yard but want to of course do this legally. There is hunting ground behind the hood and my neighbor two doors down shoots a lot, I hear it. I don't know that neighbor and I would like to know the laws to decide if there can be a large dirt pile in the yard to shoot since in one direction there aren't any homes.

Where do I get the info on the laws if I can do this legally or not?
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

2. Remove Ads

I'd suggest calling. I wish I could help more, but I'm outside of the limits so my situation may be a bit different.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I'd suggest calling. I wish I could help more, but I'm outside of the limits so my situation may be a bit different.
    I'm also outside the limits. Not sure just whom I should call? Sherriff dept or county police maybe?

I think I need to know something like how many feet/yards between where I'm shooting and something else...it's a measurement I think?!

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Handgunlaw.us

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

I live outside of Columbia, myself.
    Sister likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Sis, legal or not I hear gun shots from somewhere close a lot ( Spartanburg County ).
    Some neighbors including myself attempt to reduce the squirrel population with pellet
    guns but the gunshots I'm hearing are from a higher caliber and could be a semi. I only
    mention this because I've never seen a county cruiser checking the area.

I'd try contacting your county police first.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

My understanding is that if outside city limits you are O.K. but that is just what I have heard, so it will be best to check.

I have a similar situation here in WI. I solved it by contacting the county sheriff's office and asking what the current laws/policy was regarding shooting outside city limits both on or off private property. Don't tell them specifically what you want to do. Simply request current law. Asking permission usually results in a "NO" even if it is legal. If they ask why respond that you hear gunfire and are curious what current law allows. If you can't get a clear answer, then I always resort to the policy of "Do first and apologize later"! If you know your local LEOs the worst they'd probably do is tell you that you shouldn't plink in your back yard. But take my last advice at your own risk! I can hear it now... "But officer, the guy on the web forum said it was OK!" LOL! Please keep us posted on what you find out.
    Sister likes this.

This is the best I can come up with Sis.

Expert: PaulMJD replied 1 year ago.

SC laws are very sparse when it comes to discharge of firearms laws. The only thing in the SC laws state, is that it is unlawful to discharge a firearm at or into a house, dwelling or other building regularly occupied by people and that it is unlawful for a person to discharge a firearm at a vehicle, aircraft, watercraft or other conveyance while it is occupied. Additionally, in SC it is unlawful to discharge a firearm while under the influence of alcohol or controlled substance.

There are no laws regarding distance from dwellings in the state laws.
    Sister likes this.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybm View Post
    Sis, legal or not I hear gun shots from somewhere close a lot ( Spartanburg County ).
    Some neighbors including myself attempt to reduce the squirrel population with pellet
    guns but the gunshots I'm hearing are from a higher caliber and could be a semi. I only
    mention this because I've never seen a county cruiser checking the area.

I'd try contacting your county police first.
    You can also try looking up your country government website. There are some liberal counties on the coast and depending on where in the county you live and how closeby your neighbors are, you may not be able to shoot in your backyard. At the very least, you will probably need to put in a viable & acceptable backstop & bullet trap. You should also talk to your neighbors after you find out what the law says. (You should be able to look up your county statutes online to find out for certain where you stand.)

-

All I can tell you is what I did and it worked for me here in NC.

I contacted the chief deputy at the sheriffs office for my county and told him what I wanted to do. He asked some questions and after some discussion said go for it.

Good luck!
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member
    I called and here's the deal in Horry County, SC.

You CAN shoot on your property with handguns and/or non high power rifles (ie: .22) IF you have a big dirt pile behind it and you got 300'. This is good.....if the sell on my home falls through there will be a range right outside my back door!

Happy dance!

Thanks for all the info, I did try the websites given and some more websites by googling and although it did say a lot about guns in general I saw nothing about shooting on your own land and the distance needed. According to the LEO (real nice guy) having a large dirt pile was the ticket to shooting.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

~ Jesus ~

Links