Practice makes perfect. well... I'm at least hitting the target now!

This is a discussion on Practice makes perfect. well... I'm at least hitting the target now! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi gang! A few months back I posted a thread about my inability to hit the target due to some serious mechanical problems. I was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Practice makes perfect. well... I'm at least hitting the target now!

Hi gang!

A few months back I posted a thread about my inability to hit the target due to some serious mechanical problems. I was literally not able to even hit a target.

Anticipation (Not the good kind)

I got a ton of great advice and due to all that great information and actually practicing the drills that were suggested, my shooting has DRASTICALLY improved. I just wanted to thank all of you for the insight and expertise that was so freely given, and it went a long way to giving me the confidence to carry a firearm without having to worry that I would only be able to hit something if I threw the gun at it. Again, thank you all for the help. It really worked.

First Grouping.jpgSecond Grouping.jpgThird Grouping.jpg

All of these images were at 25' with my H&K P30s 9mm
    QKShooter, jblitz, darbo and 5 others like this.
    "Life is the best teacher, and her lessons are often learned too late, but when Thunder speaks, we have no choice but to listen."

Wisdom imparted to me by an old, blind Mi'kmaq at ceremony. Unforgettable.

Administrator

Thumbs up

There Ya Go!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Looks good! Keep on practicing!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

yeah buddy! keep up the good work
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Hitting the target may not be the best thing in life, but it's up there! Way to go!

Good shooting....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    That is pretty good i was expecting a picture of a barn
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Good shooting! Looks like you're progressing well. I also have a P30S, great sidearm.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Good shooting! Looks like you're progressing well. I also have a P30S, great sidearm.
    Yeah, I am very happy with it. A little awkward to carry concealed though. I'm already looking for a backup as a carry gun. A compact or Sub-compact.
    "Life is the best teacher, and her lessons are often learned too late, but when Thunder speaks, we have no choice but to listen."

Wisdom imparted to me by an old, blind Mi'kmaq at ceremony. Unforgettable.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    That is very good. Are you just using the suggestions here and applying them?

I've been shooting my whole life, but there is always room for improvement, and always new things to learn. Whenever I go to the range I look for old men firing old guns and if there's an opportunity I chat them up for some free instruction. Like a golf swing, a fly cast, or a swing at the plate, it is very hard to critique and correct your own movements and form. Having a separate set of eyes to watch you and correct sloppy form or bad habits in invaluable, and I find that most ranges are full of terribly nice people. The older they are the more wisdom they GENERALLY possess, and they will give you freely as a gift with only a little respect and humility as payment.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderspeaks View Post
    I got a ton of great advice and due to all that great information and actually practicing the drills that were suggested, my shooting has DRASTICALLY improved.
    Glad the various tips helped. Dry-fire, slow-fire practice, draw/fire from concealment, draw/fire on the move, shooting at various distances, strength exercises, and practice/practice/practice. Hard to imagine the P30 was the culprit, if unable to reliably hit the target. Glad to see that it turned out to be other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderspeaks View Post
    I just wanted to thank all of you for the insight and expertise that was so freely given, and it went a long way to giving me the confidence to carry a firearm without having to worry that I would only be able to hit something if I threw the gun at it.
    Be sure to now take those same techniques and apply them to the various situations in which you might find yourself drawing and needing to fire. Might be at 3ft or 10yds; on your strong-arm side or weak side; with your left or right hand (ie, if one's injured and inoperable); with/without your vision correction (if you wear glasses/contacts); on the move or stationary; from behind cover/concealment. IPSC and IDPA type courses can help with some of this. Also, be sure to test out varying shot speeds (single shot, multiple shots, varying amounts of delay between shots since you might well need 2+ shots to stop the threat effectively [and you want each of those to be as competently on-target as the first]). Definitely, you want to get to the point where, at whatever distance or in whatever basic situation you can convince yourself that your competency with that firearm at that distance is highly unlikely to strike the proverbial 3yr old child across the street.

Very nice shooting, there. Congrats on the "new and improved" P30, BTW.
    Thunderspeaks likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

No. Practice does not make perfect.
    Practice makes permanent.
    Perfect practice makes perfect.

Good shooting...
    Phaedrus and ChrisATX like this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Your first 2 targets looked good except for several fliers to near the belly button area. But your third target (all the way to the right)
    is fantastic!! All hits COM!! I know I could stand some improvement at 25 feet but I am too busy sitting on my ammo to keep those numbers up.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Well done! Getting something right on the first try is talent; getting something right after many tries is character.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member
    Very good shooting. I did not see your earlier efforts but these targets are properly trashed. Especially when compared to a bunch of unscathed targets Keep up the good work
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links