For those who wear prescription glasses;

This is a discussion on For those who wear prescription glasses; within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those who wear prescription glasses; When practicing at the range do you include some time where you swap out prescription glasses for a regular ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: For those who wear prescription glasses;

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

When practicing at the range do you include some time where you swap out prescription glasses for a regular pair of safety glasses and practice a few shots that way?

I’m thinking of including this in my practice. I don’t expect to be without my glasses but have to consider the possibility of that happening (if they break or get knocked off) due to a struggle or something.
    Macantic and Snub44 like this.
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

That's a very good idea,I think I will try that also.
    ArmyCop likes this.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    I would, but then I wouldn't be able to find the target.

Seriously, I have tried it and my marksmanship is so bad that I have found it doesn't really impact my shot placement that much. I do most of my defensive handgun practice at 5 to 8 yards. When shooting for fun I go out a little further and keep my glasses on.

I am a center mass shooter anyway.
    ArmyCop likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    The thought of me firing a gun without my glasses is a scary one. I am really nearsighted.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    Nope, I would never even consider it.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I wear eyeglasses for distances which means I use them for driving. I usually leave them in the car after driving somwhere. If I wear them shooting, I cannot focus on the front sight (no midrange-only bi-focal), so I do not wear them shooting. Sight alignment and focus are more important than the target in focus.

I understand someone can have difficulty seeing the sights, then he should wear eyeglasses, and by all means practice with the glasses off as you never know if you'll be challenged while not wearing them.
    ArmyCop likes this.

No glasses = Quick point shooting.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I haven't done it before but I may try it. I certainly wouldn't take a shot at any distance beyond maybe 7 yards without my glasses, so I wouldn't practice anything long-distance (why shoot at something you can't see?)
    ArmyCop likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I have trouble finding the floor without my glasses, so no, I have never thought about shooting without them.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I wear a contact lens in one eye and no corrective item for my other eye all day long.
    At the range, I am practicing two-eyed shooting.
    Other than a few strays, I can keep about a 8 inch group. (I am nearsighted )
    "for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." -- Paul

I practice both ways. I think the point is to use half man silhouette targets instead of little splash targets so you get more of a accurate reading as to how your hitting.
    CWOLDOJAX and ArmyCop like this.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Yes.

Is it safe to practice without my eyeglasses?

My uncorrected vision does present a very real problem for me.

So I train without correction, too. Not just for shooting.
    ArmyCop likes this.

I have to remove my glasses when I sight through my scope on my AR. But other wise I use my glasses when I shoot.

In competetion I do swap glasses. When I shoot the qualifier stage I use standard safety glasses. On all other stages I use my prescription Range Glasses. They have distance vision in the left eye and reading prescription (front sight in focus) in the right side. If I have an encounter in public it will be point shooting up close and focused vision out to 40-50 feet. After that I am headed for cover as I am already off the X and moving.
    ArmyCop likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have a difficult time with the sights when I wear my glasses, not impossible, just not as clear as without them. I wear safety glasses only for the range. I actually can pass the drivers license test without them but normally will wear them when driving.
    Snub44, 40Bob and ArmyCop like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links