James Yeager

James Yeager

This is a discussion on James Yeager within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I spelled his name right. I'm sorry, I know he's got a lot of experience but the more I watch his videos the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: James Yeager

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

James Yeager

I think I spelled his name right.
    I'm sorry, I know he's got a lot of experience but the more I watch his videos the more I know I would never attend or recommend his training classes.
    Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfJj...e_gdata_player
    For God, Family and Country!

i'm not an expert but it looks to me like this set of videos was a giant plug for one 1911 company........and the title did a great job of getting attention. i did enjoy the video, though. just my opinion.

Hes a little hyper for me

You're in good company.

Yeager is the rocket scientist who thinks it's perfectly OK to position a photographer downrange, just a few feet from a target that students (not instructors) are shooting.
    Tactical Response Training ? Try Not To Shoot The Photographer
    OD*, ArmyCop and Aceoky like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I'm a Tactical Response Alumni. My wife and I plan on taking more classes from Tactical Response, as its top notch training.

I will note that those who dont like Yeager, or Tactical Response have never taken a course there. Then again, not all things are for everyone, I suppose.

As re the photographers there, they all managed to escape unharmed. As did the students.

Thanks for posting the link to James response. I agree with him.

As re model 1911s, there was a very nice couple in my Fighting Pistol Class. They had bought brand new Kimbers.

I felt sorry for them. Expensive guns that didnt work. Bear in mind, a fighting pistol class is 1,000 rounds in two days.

They left class planning on selling the kimbers, and getting G 19s.
    Christopher67 likes this.

VIP Member
    Well folks either like Yeager or they don't.

The 1911 videos have three parts I think and in one of them he visits Wilson Combat and the gent he is with pretty much backs up what he says. He does endorse certain brands of 1911's and to me he has some good points. On his forum there are people who state that they started class with a 1911 and had to finish with another pistol because things fell off of their guns.

Are all 1911's the same? Nope. So one that breaks at a certain round count does not mean they all do. Some just take more to get them to work right. When a manufacture of quality 1911's states that you need to fire 3-500 rounds to break the gun in I have my doubts. Do not get me wrong I love 1911's, quality 1911's. I carried/carry SA Operator pistols and never had a complaint with them. There are many good brands out there all depends on your budget.

In regards to the photographer downrange to each his own. I have trained in many different places with a lot of different people. What is an OMG moment to some is another day at the office for others. He does not teach on a square range enviroment and he does not you to shoot he teaches you to fight with a firearm.

I have never trained with him and don't agree with everything he says however I would train with him and I am sure I would learn something which is the main reason to go to a class.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    When a manufacture of quality 1911's states that you need to fire 3-500 rounds to break the gun in I have my doubts.
    I would certainly have my doubts about that manufacturer.
    ArmyCop likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    I think I spelled his name right.
    I'm sorry, I know he's got a lot of experience but the more I watch his videos the more I know I would never attend or recommend his training classes.
    Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfJj...e_gdata_player
    I watched the video. Did I miss something he said which was untrue?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Ive never took training from him but I have watched his videos more to get a sense of the man than the hype surrounding him.

I can understand the way the man thinks and follow his way of speaking about issues and other things, but I can also see why he is misunderstood a lot of the time. The best communicator of what he is trying to say hes not.

But at least you know where the man stands. I can respect that. Its why I like Uncle Ted LOL
    StormRhydr and Christopher67 like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    He lost me at 1:15. ANY mechanical piece of equipment is prone to failure, Glocks included. My BMW 740iL is the best car I ever owned. The water pump and trany went out just under 100,000 miles and both were replaced under warranty. It ran another 120,000 without a hiccup, and is easily the best car I ever had.

His problem isn't that he isn't experienced with what he knows. I'm sure he's an expert hands down. His problem is that because he knows something well he thinks he knows everything there is to know, and his willingness to discount everyone else who disagrees with him is evidence that all his experience and knowledge have not led to deep understanding.

I am a easily as credentialed in several things as he is in teaching handgun shooting, with allot more insurance and training than he has had. I haven't taught as many people to scuba dive as he is claiming to have taught defensive handgun shooting, but it is quite a bit more involved, and I can honestly say that I would let my loved ones buddy up and dive with anyone who I've certified. I wonder if he can say a similar thing for the thousands of people he has taught a one day course? I would never claim to know everything, or put anyone down who prefers a certain piece of equipment or a certain style that I don't prefer. All his experience and training have not gotten him the most important thing, wisdom.

Glocks are great. I own and shoot Glocks. They are not the end all be all of pistols, and it would be a much less interesting and less fun world if all pistols were Glocks. They are good, no question, but they've barely been around for a generation. We're supposed to believe his 20 something years of personal experience over the experience of hundreds of thousands of 1911s that have been carried into battle by generations of Americans? This is our egos talking? That dude needs to get over himself, and join us in reality. Hypocrite doesn't begin to describe his pretzel logic.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Glocks suck, because a knock-off, plastic Glock Mfg. sucks...am i getting this right? Where did you find this guy? He's right. He makes me mad, but not because he doesn't like 1911s, because he's a pompous hypocrite who can't put together a logical argument for his overblown opinions. Why isn't he instructing at all our Special Warfare schools? His is opinions are clearly the only valid ones, and history began the day the first G17 left the sweaty Austrian's hands who put it in a shipping box.
    OD* and Aceoky like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Did I miss something he said which was untrue?
    His claim that the 1911 wasn't suppose to have the grip safety is untrue, his claim that the 1911 was designed with an arched mainspring housing by John Browning, is untrue. He does, and we have some of our own members here, prove beyond a shadow of doubt, Glocksters have just as much ego invested in their weapon of choice.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    As re model 1911s, there was a very nice couple in my Fighting Pistol Class. They had bought brand new Kimbers.

I felt sorry for them. Expensive guns that didnt work. Bear in mind, a fighting pistol class is 1,000 rounds in two days.

They left class planning on selling the kimbers, and getting G 19s.
    Just to offer a different experience, in three Pat Rogers fighting classes, the handguns were maybe 50% Glocks, 25% 1911s, and the balance were pretty evenly split among M&Ps, Sigs, and H&Ks.

Three classes (2 carbine + pistol, 1 pistol only), 8 days total, 24 students per class, about 2500 pistol rounds per student; I witnessed around 180,000 rounds fired. Not a single 1911 choked. The ONE gun that failed? I.e., failed with broken internals? A Glock.

Does that represent the breed? Not necessarily. But my observation in those 3 classes was that 1911s were every bit the reliable fighting guns the Glocks were. YMMV.
    QKShooter, Jaeger, OD* and 3 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I'm sorry, I have to stop watching 1 min and then commenting, but he just repeated my biggest pet peeve of this whole CCW training industry. "People just can't shoot pistols accurately." People also just can't hit a golfball accurately with a golf club!

This is the premise from which all this "training" springs. It is a false premise. I believe that just about anyone can learn to shoot a pistol accurately with a little time under instruction, and allot of practice. Jumping right into the tactical tommy stuff without ever learning the basics and fundamentals of shooting a pistol is why everyone of these courses is designed for people who can't shoot. It's no different than going to a driving range one day, and the next playing in a professional tournament at Augusta the next, while having your golf pro tell you that he likes your odds of winning (I hate golf, but its a good analogy).
    Secret Spuk and ArmyCop like this.

Reminds me of the LIBTARD professors I had back in college.
    OD* and Aceoky like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links