Processing and OODA loop

This is a discussion on Processing and OODA loop within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We understand that a fight will not be dictated by us, the defensive carrier. This is a truth. That being said, we should practice that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Processing and OODA loop

Processing and OODA loop

We understand that a fight will not be dictated by us, the defensive carrier. This is a truth. That being said, we should practice that way. I am a firm believer in training to what your body does naturally and not gaming with my gun. That is me. This is not a slam on IDPA or anything of the sort. I think that if we are going to train for self defense we should train and practice for that.

There are certain drills that allow for processing or OODA loop. This is where the mind has to work and you will see some delay in that process. This is not a bad thing, it is normal. I came across a drill that Rob Pincus is using and found it beneficial to the processing training that most will never do, or do not know how to train to. Take a look.....

Defensive Shooting Standards Drill - PDN Videos
    rocky, StormRhydr, 40Bob and 6 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for sharing.

OODA ? I watched several Rob Pincus vids, this newbie cannot figure out what OODA is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    "for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." -- Paul

James Yeager has a good video for OODA loop. Basically we do this thousands of times a day. Observe, Orient, Decide, Act. Go to Yeager's YouTube page and go to his playlist, it's under "before training"
    StormRhydr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CWOLDOJAX View Post
    OODA ? this newbie cannot figure out what OODA is.
    OODA loop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    CWOLDOJAX likes this.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    "for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." -- Paul

Not a big fan of Mr Yeager.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Me neither, but some of the stuff he says is really good. You just have to ignore the arrogance and sailor-like cursing...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Far better training than the stand on the line and fire at the paper. For me at 15' that's 5 steps distance you should not need to stop your movement to take your shots. Movement should start before but with the draw and should continue until after the last shot.

I'm assuming the barrels where to set the space one had inside a room or hallway. I'd also be moving in more directions than to the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. I'd also be moving towards the fight or away from it. But it's hard to set up a on the street situation on a shooting range with paper.

Over all a good video for shooters to watch and get ideas from, far more advanced training and practice than most do.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by Djroulette View Post
    James Yeager has a good video for OODA loop. Basically we do this thousands of times a day. Observe, Orient, Decide, Act. Go to Yeager's YouTube page and go to his playlist, it's under "before training"
    Yeager does do a video on OODA loop, but it is very minimal in comparison...His words " you have to take a class "

He has trained a lot of people. I should of expected some of his students or watchers to express there opinions on the subject. With 25 thousand + students someone is going to chime in.

The subject is not yeager even though he speaks on the subject, the topic is about the minds process and how we can train to that. I realize that Rob did not speak of the OODA loop and that was my addition to the topic. I would rather not go down the yeager road, as it seems to get threads closed real quick....

My opinion of Mr Yaeger mostly reflects his close mindedness, his low opinion of anyone not doing things his way, and his arrogance. Not saying that some of his presentations are incorrect. With gunfighting as with everything else there's always more than one way to skin a cat.

My experience is that if your gun is still in it's holster when the shooting starts... Your way behind the 8-ball. This in my opinion is the true value of the OODA loop. The ability to observe the situation allow you to orient your physical position and begin to draw, or covertly cover the possible danger. Then you can confidantly make the decision that best for your situation. If the situation go's really bad you can act with gun already in hand (even if it's still partially holstered).
    Harryball likes this.

Good drill. Training should encompass as many different drills and/or scenarios as you can. Every fight IS different and there's no way to practice that specific fight. You train (and train) different tactics/techniques/drills/scenarios to achieve a state of "nothing." That's where you act/react without having to plan or "think" about what you're going to do...you just do it.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Tactical Response Fighting Pistol Alum, here. What you will probably never see is a Tactical Response Alum who bad mouths James Yeager.

I am no exception. His training is top notch. Those that "dont like him", have never met him, or trained with him.
    Harryball likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Tactical Response Fighting Pistol Alum, here. What you will probably never see is a Tactical Response Alum who bad mouths James Yeager.

I am no exception. His training is top notch. Those that "dont like him", have never met him, or trained with him.
    What flavor kool-aid is served?

What flavor kool-aid is served?
    Surviving.....
    StormRhydr likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links