Old FBI training video

This is a discussion on Old FBI training video within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know if this has been posted previously, but I found it interesting...especially the close quarter pistol training and the "skip" shooting training. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Old FBI training video

Old FBI training video

I don't know if this has been posted previously, but I found it interesting...especially the close quarter pistol training and the "skip" shooting training.

I attended a three day shotgun school at Texas A&M Extension Law enforcement Center back in the '80s, and we were trained on shotgun "skip" shooting....a very useful technique. The close quarter pistol training is the first line of fire atill used today at the Houston Polcie Department qualifications...people may chuckle but would be surprised at how many people spray bullets even at short distances (less than 6 feet).

Thought I'd share this old video which still has very sound advice.

'60s FBI Training Film?'How to Win a Gunfight' (VIDEO)
    Snub44, Aceoky, ArmyCop and 3 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

...still pertinent...appreciate the review...

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Nice video thanks for sharing, loved the voice on it..
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Voice sounded like the narration from Dragnet!

Some good advice here, but I also saw some outdated stuff (to be expected after 50+ years).
    - the downtown cop used (needed?) two hands to draw his sidearm
    - same cop was moving with his finger on the trigger
    - the trainer used SA a lot on his DA revolver
    - firing the shotgun from the hip: is this a currently taught technique for close-range encounters? I plead ignorance here!
    - the emphasis on 1-handed shooting

But a fun video, nonetheless - shows how far we've come.
    OD*, QKShooter, Snub44 and 2 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

...1-handed shooting is still much practiced...usually by grey-haired shooters...as is light held far from the body in the off hand...

Still well worth viewing.

I love vintage training videos on anything... it's always interesting to me to see how things have changed or still remain the same depending on the info. I used to teach forklift training and often used the older campy vids from the 70's over the newer updated stuff. Great for a few laughs and made the class a bit less boring. I liked to let the students point out how things have been changed per current OSHA standards. YouTube has tons of vintage safety and training vids for all occupations that are nothing less than hilarious in some cases!

VIP Member
    I love the old films like that. Somethings were just better 50 years ago.
    Aceoky and OD* like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

The stuff covered in this vidio works. Always has, still does.

Police holsters are not like carry holsters... they tend to be a bit more complicated due to the retention, and safety features. I always put my finger on the trigger while engaged in gun work. Still do. Some of us older guys were trained to shoot single action when we needed to. I was trained to cover, and shoot the shotgun from what they describe as the hip position. A little more to it than shown in the vid... but the basics.

OK so you old dudes... riddle me this... what kind of holsters were the FBI students using? ( I never knew they used this brand) It is a great holster... I have one for my 4" Kframes, and one for my 2" Chief.
    Snub44 and USM1976 like this.

...looks like the old Bernz-Martin breakfront...spring-closed with a strap across the front...he's kinda pushing through it...I had one and didn't like it...
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

Some good advice here, but I also saw some outdated stuff (to be expected after 50+ years).
    - firing the shotgun from the hip: is this a currently taught technique for close-range encounters? I plead ignorance here!

I don't know about shotgun, or the FBI, but I know a lot of people recommend in close quarters to fire your first couple shots with your pistol from the hip immediately after drawing if your enemy is close enough that pushing the pistol out away from your body would actually give them the ability to take your gun.

But that's completely different than what you asked.
    USM1976, Snub44 and Aceoky like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

...good point, though...we were taught a lot of things that aren't popular but still work well...point shooting...hip shooting...now they teach us if we don't use both hands, we're doing it wrong...CWAP...it's not wrong, just different...
    Secret Spuk, USM1976 and Aceoky like this.

It is a good video for what it is. brings up alot of points and basic skills
    USM1976 and Snub44 like this.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    the way to be safe is never to be secure.
    Benjamin franklin

It was pretty interesting and I enjoyed it. Did anyone take a close look at the 'Alexandria' police car? Was that an old Chevy Interceptor or Dodge Satellite?

Who watched Camp Century built in Greenland 800 miles from the North Pole? Built originally as a research station by US Army Corp of Engineers with 500 men and officers. This was extremely interesting as well. I've loved documentaries since I saw one about the invention of rations for soldiers in Napoleons time.

Guns are fun but here in NoNameVille we travel on our tummy!
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

Yeah, I like the old feeling of Adam 12 and Dragnet narrative style as well. Not going to argue here, but I see things in this manner.

The uniformed officer as probably an actor, and whoever created the video probably missed it. Drawing AND reholstering should be done with one hand and without looking at the holster (reholstering).
    Trigger finger indexed is alright with me as long as I know I've encountered a person known to have a deadly weapon
    We use quite a bit of single action shooting today if we think about it...those old revolvers had heavy trigger pulls even single action at times...modern striker fired handguns and definitely the old tried true 1911s are very light trigger pulls.
    Hip shooting a shotgun is poor to me as well because patterns are not as spread as many would believe, so, if one misses, well, you know...
    One hand shooting was a hold over from military training...look at one of he old military pistol training films, and you'll see the shooters standing almost fully sideway and shooting with one hand. Yes, two handed shooting is much more stable unless wounded in on arm. Next time you go shooting, shot off-hand with the strong hand flattened and jammed into your waistband. It's good practice...

Still, it was fun...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links