Emergency Reload - To look or not to look at the handgun while reloading...

This is a discussion on Emergency Reload - To look or not to look at the handgun while reloading... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks in advance for watching! This method works for me...find out what works for you and evolve....

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Emergency Reload - To look or not to look at the handgun while reloading...

Thanks in advance for watching!

This method works for me...find out what works for you and evolve.

gatorbait51 and Eagleks like this.

My training with both the auto pistol and revolver is that I dont look at the gun or ammo.
    Snub44, msgt/ret, USM1976 and 4 others like this.

My instructor (POST instructor) trained me to bring the weapon into my line of sight while keeping eye on threat, tilt weapon to ease insertion of mag, lock mag into place and (using GROSS MOTOR SKILLS) bring off hand to top of slide and rack slide to end up back on target.

Fine motor skills in combat are diminished and as a result, using the slide lock may well prove to be difficult. If you train to use gross motor skills you are training to use the skills most likely to not fail you under stress.
    nedrgr21, Snub44, ccw9mm and 8 others like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Now that's a mustache.
    PEF, blitzburgh, revldm and 5 others like this.

Realistically? I don't need to look at the gun if I'm reloading a magazine in a handgun or rifle fed by a detachable box magazine. If I'm reloading a revolver or a clip-fed long gun (e.g., Mosin-Nagant, Swiss K-31, Garand), I need to see what I'm doing.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Lots of trainers teach you not to look during the reload. Many teach like 357and40 mentioned (and that's how I was trained). My theory is I'd hate be trying to be tacticool and not bring the gun up and watch the magazine go into the pistol and fumble the reload - meaning I don't have a gun to fight with as soon as I should- and then end up dying as a result.
    357and40, gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Remember watching a vid with a vet that came home in a wheelchair at a training facility. He ran out of ammo while in the open, stopped to reload and was looking at his weapon while doing it, and then he looked up just in time to see an insurgent hit him with a burst of fire. Hard way to learn that lesson. He wasn't bitter, just stated he wished he was trained better in boot/ITS (maybe he didn't hear it or it wasn't drilled in enough), and he took it upon himself to learn the right way.
    gatorbait51 and OD* like this.

I had to watch it twice to get any info from it. I was hypnotized by the fantastic mustache.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

...it's best to train to reload w/o looking...by feel...prepares you for if it's at night and if you need to be watching the BG or area...it's not hard with a handgun...with a long gun, might take a bit more time...
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Realistically? I don't need to look at the gun if I'm reloading a magazine in a handgun or rifle fed by a detachable box magazine. If I'm reloading a revolver or a clip-fed long gun (e.g., Mosin-Nagant, Swiss K-31, Garand), I need to see what I'm doing.
    USM1976 likes this.

VIP Member
    Bring gun to work space.

Look THROUGH the gun at the target.

Use peripheral vision during reload.

If you have done any training at all, you should be able to perform an emergency reload with your eyes closed. As the man said, it's a big hole that is hard to miss. Also, as was stated, you don't want to be juggling and fumbling under stress. Looking "through" the gun allows you to keep eyes on target and still have just enough of the gun in your line of sight to facilitate the reload.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Lead Moderator
    Muscle memory goes a long way in reloading with out looking.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Look only if you have to. Best to keep your eyes on the threat. Don't agree with him about using the slide lock to release the slide. This is a complex motor skill and they deteriorate under stress. After inserting the fresh mag it's very efficient to roll your hand up and pull the slide back to release it. This is a gross motor skill, large muscle group type movement and they don't break down near as much under extreme stress.Train like a target shooter, react like a target shooter. Train like a gunfighter, react like a gun fighter. My humble opinion.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Remember watching a vid with a vet that came home in a wheelchair at a training facility. He ran out of ammo while in the open, stopped to reload and was looking at his weapon while doing it, and then he looked up just in time to see an insurgent hit him with a burst of fire. Hard way to learn that lesson. He wasn't bitter, just stated he wished he was trained better in boot/ITS (maybe he didn't hear it or it wasn't drilled in enough), and he took it upon himself to learn the right way.
    I recall the same video... I believe he was in a Pat Rogers training course.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    My instructor (POST instructor) trained me to bring the weapon into my line of sight while keeping eye on threat, tilt weapon to ease insertion of mag, lock mag into place and (using GROSS MOTOR SKILLS) bring off hand to top of slide and rack slide to end up back on target.

Fine motor skills in combat are diminished and as a result, using the slide lock may well prove to be difficult. If you train to use gross motor skills you are training to use the skills most likely to not fail you under stress.
    This is the way I was taught with one addition...

When grasping the magazine from the carrier ensure your forefinger is straight up the front of the mag body to help guide insertion into the mag well. In order to do this correctly your magazines must be loaded correctly into the mag carrier.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

I'd give up one of my toes for that mustache.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links