Range time...

This is a discussion on Range time... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I won't bore you with all my rationalizations for not getting much range time this year (unless you really want to know ). I found ...

Like Tree19Likes
  • 7 Post By aznav
  • 2 Post By TX expat
  • 2 Post By WHEC724
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By Blue Thunder
  • 1 Post By Easy8
  • 1 Post By StevePVB

Thread: Range time...

Distinguished Member

Range time...

I won't bore you with all my rationalizations for not getting much range time this year (unless you really want to know ). I found an interesting and not so wise phenomenon happening in the last 12+ months. I am getting more knowledgeable about firearms, stats, service related issues, blah, blah, blah. However, when I went to the range earlier this week, how shall I say... stunk. I could not believe how bad my skills at drawing and firing from 15 feet. So bad, I looked around to see if anyone was watching. Yes, I am that vain.

One small silver lining is that after about ninety minutes and too many hard-to-get rounds of ammo, I was about 50% better than when I started.

Note to self: more range, much more range, less pontificating.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

We all have to practice. I've been shooting Glocks my whole life....went to the range with my S&W 642, my first shot at 7 yards didn't even hit the target...I was like, "what the &%$#"......now I'm shooting bullseyes with it! It will only get better with practice my friends.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    I won't bore you with all my rationalizations for not getting much range time this year (unless you really want to know ). I found an interesting and not so wise phenomenon happening in the last 12+ months. I am getting more knowledgeable about firearms, stats, service related issues, blah, blah, blah. However, when I went to the range earlier this week, how shall I say... stunk. I could not believe how bad my skills at drawing and firing from 15 feet. So bad, I looked around to see if anyone was watching. Yes, I am that vain.

One small silver lining is that after about ninety minutes and too many hard-to-get rounds of ammo, I was about 50% better than when I started.

Skills fade is a reality that cannot be overemphasized. There's nothing more humbling than seeing how much of the edge you've allowed to slip away due to lack of practice.

It's a good lesson learned, to be sure.
    aznav and AustinArmory like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Skills fade is a reality that cannot be overemphasized. There's nothing more humbling than seeing how much of the edge you've allowed to slip away due to lack of practice.

It's a good lesson learned, to be sure.
    Absolutely. There are other activities that we can do to stay sharp;

Last night, I suggested to Jr. that we work on some precision shooting with our pellet rifles in the back yard. It got us working on our breathing and timing between heartbeats (deer season, ya know ).
    TX expat and aznav like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I wish I could afford the time and $$$ to spend the time at the range I'd like to, but at my worst I'm always CoBG. I've never tried to be one of those who can (or claim they can) put 5 rounds in a quarter-sized hole. My hands have never been that steady. Combat effective is my goal, and so far I've maintained that much.
    aznav and StevePVB like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I wish I could afford the time and $$$ to spend the time at the range I'd like to, but at my worst I'm always CoBG. I've never tried to be one of those who can (or claim they can) put 5 rounds in a quarter-sized hole. My hands have never been that steady. Combat effective is my goal, and so far I've maintained that much.
    True dat. Even on a bad day, I can shoot a group that'll get the job done. We normally shoot clays set on a hillside, so you feel like an idiot when you miss, but it's still not a bad shot.

Now, moving, drawing and shooting is another story. That really does take consistent practice. It's scary how poorly that I'm able to draw sometimes.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Practice drawing a cold one more often. It helps.
    aznav and WHEC724 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I shoot IPSC and every month there is at least one and sometimes more Run and Gun stages where I can test my skills shooting on the run. Nice to do as in every Gun Fighting course I have taken there were several reps of shooting on the run. Getting off the X is first and getting to cover and shooting on the run may be needed to get there. Not many ranges out there that let you do that.
    aznav and AustinArmory like this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Spent a couple of hours today at the range, cleaned out ammo locker of old defensive ammo I no longer carry was a good day, shot sabres, gold dots, magtech, federal hydro shocks, power ball, an couple of boxs of Buffalo Bore great time
    aznav likes this.

This is a good reminder. Like most, I don't always put in the practice time I'd like to. I am not a hoarder, but do try to keep my ammunition supply up.

I know we don't know when "it" will happen. In my case, the odds are it will happen in my house. I spend more time at home than out and in the car or out and about I have a reasonable chance to run/hide/take cover. At home, I'm going to be fully engaged. Max distance shot in my house is 45' and most likely around 30'. Since I do need to focus where I'll need it most, I do most of my practice at that distance or less. But, I am planning to splurge next week with 5 guns (including a shotgun) for a half day. I'll do that 4 or 5 times a year (yeah, my birthday is one of those days!).
    aznav likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post

You have found out what many have been saying about "trigger time" but do not worry, it really is like riding a bike.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    With ammo prices being what they are and even when they were reasonable, I was not one of those "time at the range shooting off 500 rounds during a 5 hour visit". I have found that what I would call my "instinctive feel for discharge of my firearm" remains present if I train every other week or so and only use, at most, 50 rounds of ammo on my preferred expensive ammo firearm (FN5.7 with ammo at last look at around $35 per 50). I also will use my 22 for more fun target shooting and closer to 100 rounds; it also keeps my feel of firearms "active". When I come back in two or so weeks, I do not find any deterioration in my "feel" for the firearm. Just my take on this. I usually go to the range with 3 others and with sharing a lane, we at least get in about 1-2 hours, which leaves time for lunch.

Links