Airsoft

Airsoft

This is a discussion on Airsoft within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; EDIT: I forgot to perform the requisite SEARCH function before posting this topic, and have since found out that this subject has been discussed before. ...

Thread: Airsoft

Airsoft

EDIT: I forgot to perform the requisite SEARCH function before posting this topic, and have since found out that this subject has been discussed before. However, it might serve as a handy primer for those who haven't been around to see this information yet, so who knows?

For those who don't know what airsoft is, I find that the Wikipedia article offers sufficient explanation of the sport: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airsoft

In short, it's similar to paintball, but with replica firearms of near real-steel weight and action, to include gas blow-back pistols with fully-functional slide mechanisms and are loaded via magazines, and shoot 6mm plastic BBs at speeds of up to 400+ feet per second.

Of course, the game is played with bolt-action "sniper" rifles, assault rifles (I have an M4 replica; had two, but just sold one for $400 to afford my new Sig P239), and as previously mentioned, pistols.

Granted, recoil is NOWHERE near what it is with an actual firearm, including .22LR, but the fundamentals remain the same (proper draw technique, sight alignment/sight picture, target acquisition, tactical reloads, etc.).

I previously have owned a Glock 19 replica, and currently own an HK USP .45 replica, both pictured below, along with their respective magazines. As you can see, the relative detail and form of these replica weapons are very close to their real-steel counterparts.

I view this as yet another form of practical training, as the distances these things shoot are sufficient enough for gunhandling and footwork drills in terms of generally accepted CCW self-defense distances. In fact, I believe a few firearms and self-defense instructor/practioners use these replica weapons as an effective training tool (ex. Gabe Suarez, http://www.suarezinternational.com/).

I'd just like to know how many of you are familiar with the sport and its practical training benefits, and if so, how many of you participate in airsoft events?

HK USP Replica:

USP Magazine:

Glock 19 Replica:

Glock 19 Magazine (BB feeding tube shown):
    Last edited by Nate; December 2nd, 2006 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Pre-existing topics

Lead Moderator
    I own a few plastic versions of the HK USP and M4 . they are great training aids, but you must realize what you are using for cover.
    I fnothing else , they are great fun to safely shoot your buddies(with proper gear)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    I just shot an MP5,an AR,a Beretta,Colt 1911 acouple of Sigs and an AK yesterday at a gun shop....all of course clones. I was suprised at the heft of them and the attention to detail...since I own most of the "real" thing.

They were alot of fun to shoot. I may pick up a few for my boys for Christmas...I may get one myself.

Its not quite up to Simunition standards, but they arent near as messy etheir...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    I've taken two complete FOF course with Gabe, and another course that was 33% FOF. Great classes! I also train in FOF with my training partners here in Vegas. One thing that is great about living right over the hill from Frontsight, is the number of training junkies that live in this city.

Everything that I learn or teach must pass the test inside of the FOF crucible.

I have the KWA G19....it has been a great tool....been through hell and still rockin and rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Its not quite up to Simunition standards, but they arent near as messy etheir...
    That, and I'd rather take a BB to the forehead than a Sim round (I've had both).

I've got an MP5 that I modded, it normally takes a 9.6V setup but I upped it to 12.6 lithium polymer. It shoots about 800 round/sec and lays waste to all kinds of common household items . We have Foxes that come and torment the dogs from outside the fence and I can hose them from 100' without having to clean up a bloody mess and they run like hell when I'm pelting them in the backside. Good wholesome family fun in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by netmechanic View Post
    I've got an MP5 that I modded, it normally takes a 9.6V setup but I upped it to 12.6 lithium polymer. It shoots about 800 round/sec and lays waste to all kinds of common household items . We have Foxes that come and torment the dogs from outside the fence and I can hose them from 100' without having to clean up a bloody mess and they run like hell when I'm pelting them in the backside. Good wholesome family fun in my book.
    HOLY. COW.

I know a guy that has a P90 running an 11 volt Li-Po, and he's the talk of the town. I'd hate to be on the business end of your MP5!

Sponsored Links