Quick range trip (pics) - 5x5x5 drill

This is a discussion on Quick range trip (pics) - 5x5x5 drill within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So stopped by the range Monday for a quick session. I had read about a good drill to practice at the indoor range, where a ...

Distinguished Member

So stopped by the range Monday for a quick session. I had read about a good drill to practice at the indoor range, where a lot of training drills can be restricted.

Its the 5x5x5drill - 5" target at 5 yards shot 5 times in under 5 seconds, so maybe its the 5x5x5x5 drill, lol.

I just had to use 6" targets and didn't have a shot timer or partner to clock me, but I feel pretty certain I got all shots off within 5 secs. My first time doing the drill, was pretty happy to see I relatively passed, though I could definitely get better and quicker with practice (which is precisely what I plan to do). It was fun and seemed useful and a good platform to work on (for boring ol' indoor ranges ).

024.jpg The first round of 3 targets, yes the bottom one is missing the 5th shot, it was about a 1/2" low off the target - think I started pushing myself speed wise.

025.jpg Second round of targets, the third target was the sticker which I couldn't pull off but all rounds were on in the circle.

After those 30 rounds I did a little long distance shooting and then took some more shots at 10 yrds. A great range trip, will be going back soon with a partner and using a stopwatch and real 5" targets .
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

This is called a 45 drill (4 elements of 5). Great drill, glad to see you doing it.

VIP Member
    Nice
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

If you have a smart phone check out the Surefire timer app.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    This... I have it and use it almost every time at the range to test reaction and accuracy time.

All the indoors around my area don't allow anything less than 7 yards and at least 1 second between. I guess I've got a 7X5X5

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Well done.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post

I'll have to check it out, had some shot timer on my old phone but never actually used it at the range - never thought it would really hold up to live fire, looking forward to trying it out.

I went back to the range today with my wife, practiced a few more times, had her using the stopwatch on my phone and a 5" target. -
    3.7 seconds on this one 002.jpg. All others were well within 5 seconds confirming that I wasn't B.S.'n myself on Monday. Liking the 45 drill.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Links