Mall self defense question...

This is a discussion on Mall self defense question... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Given the news from Africa, I have been thinking about what might go down here, if terrorists decided to attack a mall in the U.S. ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree194Likes

Thread: Mall self defense question...

Mall self defense question...

Given the news from Africa, I have been thinking about what might go down here, if terrorists decided to attack a mall in the U.S.
    So, for those of you in law enforcement, military, or training, let's discuss what sort of tactics armed citizens can use to save lives in this scenario.
    How to use the building's design to advantage, movement, evasion, engagement and escape.
    If you have skills, please chime in.
    ArmyCop and pittypat21 like this.
    Certified Infidel

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Good question!

However, there are a LOT of variables. Maybe it would help to narrow the field some: Are you in the Mall alone or with your family? That variable will significantly change my responses (at least in theory).......
    ArmyCop likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member

From Spike TV........................

CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrike6 View Post
    Given the news from Africa, I have been thinking about what might go down here, if terrorists decided to attack a mall in the U.S.
    So, for those of you in law enforcement, military, or training, let's discuss what sort of tactics armed citizens can use to save lives in this scenario.
    How to use the building's design to advantage, movement, evasion, engagement and escape.
    Since I am not LE, military or anything having to do with having a job to protect any and all. My tactics are to get me, mine and those that happen to be in the same area when it goes down to safety. As each situation will be different acts taken will vary also. They may include hiding, forting up or moving out the front or back door. I engage only those BG that get in my way, if that should happen I do everything in my power to KILL them.

Other than that it's just another day.

My thoughts on this type thing has changed from the past. I now take care of what is close to me (that includes anyone near me during the situation) I would not allow someone to be shot standing there with me but I will not go looking for people to save. If you are there and the SHTF and all of a sudden you wish someone to show up with a gun to save you....you should have thought of that a little earlier and bought yours.

Just my thoughts
    knight65, LynnL, Taurahe and 9 others like this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

In my expert opinion the best way to defend against such an attack is to not go where malls are gun free zones.

Terrorists are not stupid. If they would attack a mall in the heavily armed U.S. it will be in one of the draconian anti gun laws states in a mall which is in no uncertain way a gun free zone.

Come to a mall in Ky or Texas and you wont be involved
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I'm gonna urinate on myself,that will keep me safe.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    If something goes down in a mall I am taking my butt and grabbing anyone else with me, running to the back of the closest store that is on the exterior of the building and making an exit...calling the boys in blue once I've made it out all seems safe.

As stated above there are many variables but this would be my most general answer.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I will "fort up". My wife and I would go into the first store door we see and draw weapons and protect the door. I have had some training in "slicing the pie" (clearing room to room) and I know that the door is the "Death Zone". Easiest place to protect. The tricky part is identifying the bad guy from others who flee into the store. I'd probably peek till I spotted him/her. If there was an exit to the outside I'd watch the door till everyone else was out then I'd join them. Cops would be called when we first entered the store. If there was no exit we would cover the door till the cops showed up. Bad guy is NOT passing that door in one piece.

This happened several years ago in Trolley Square in Salt Lake. Bad guy entered store where an off duty cop was waiting. Bad guy down.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Malls have lots of exits not all of them can be seen from inside.Go to your local mall and walk the outside perimeter ,count the exits.In order for a force to gain control over the entire customer base in the mall at a given time its focus will have to be on the main concourse.The number of people inside the mall at a given time that needs to be controlled is the unknown factor this will focus attention on the main lines of drift within the mall.Know the exits and how to get to them fast.
    The easy way is always mined.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrike6 View Post
    Get down, stay down, get out.

The gun is for making sure no one stops you from doing the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    In my expert opinion the best way to defend against such an attack is to not go where malls are gun free zones.
    Terrorists wouldn't target gun-free zones because they're not allowed to have guns there. A terrorist would see the sign, turn around and leave out of respect for the private property owner's rights, especially where gun-buster signs carry the force of law.

I've been in a mall once in the last 7 years. Even at that I was in a store at the edge of the mall proper. Since REI stopped selling the items I was seeking and replaced them with some worthless crap from China I'll never go back.

By and large with my arthritis walking long distances between stores full of crap I don't need is a no brainer. Besides which going up against terrorist with AK47's and me with my pistol is a no win scenario for me.

going to malls.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Depends on who is with me at the time of the shooting. If I'm with a loved one then my objective is to get them to safety, period. I'll go through anything and everything to get them there if needed but I'd prefer to head away from the excitement and make a clean break.

If I'm alone or with friends of a like mind my mission is that of the Marine rifle squad- to locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel the enemy assault by fire and close combat. It is a personal decision but I'd rather die trying to stop the rampage than try to look myself in the mirror after I escaped and didn't attempt to stop the carnage. Every time the news reported the number of dead and wounded in the assault it would eat away at me. But not everyone does, or should, share my view.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

very simple in my opinion, Flight first; if that option is not safe fight second. IMHO if you have to ask how to fight then you should flight. I am not LEO and simply want to escape the situation alive and unharmed

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Three things you must do. 1=RUN if you can 2=HIDE if you can 3=FIGHT if you can. Not in any order. Stay alive!! AND DONT LOSE IT.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links