Glock Training Routine

This is a discussion on Glock Training Routine within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I just got started on a new routine with a few new toys to help out but the results have been really encouraging so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Glock Training Routine

So I just got started on a new routine with a few new toys to help out but the results have been really encouraging so I'm writing to share a little.

Some of you may know that I love my Glocks. They are my carry pieces of choice and I own five of them: 17, 19, 26, 30S and 36. Best part about Glocks: they all draw, aim, and shoot exactly the same regardless of what model (except the competition models or ones with trigger jobs, but those are only slightly different).

What I've added to my regiment is the SIRT laser pistol that's an awesome dry firing and safe practice tool even at home. And also a Advantage Arms .22LR kit for my G17. I consider my 17 a training and HD gun but it does get carried occasionally.

Here they are at the range:

I am dry firing the SIRT daily at home. Practicing my draw, adverse firing positions, firing from behind cover, role playing HD scenarios. And general trigger discipline.

At the range, all three come with me. I mix in SIRT dry firing (a lot), 100 rounds of .22 and just 50 rounds of 9mm. It's about a 70% dry fire, 20% .22 LR and 10% 9mm done in reps.

Focus drills, 5 by 5 in 5, holster draw shooting, double tapping from low ready drills, etc. All will have the 70-20-10 mix.

Here was a first target early in my range session today at 5 yards (I rarely go further unless I'm intentionally target shooting. I keep SD to mainly 5 yards). 1 sec between shots. It was a bit more sporadic but not terrible. .22's made the small holes, 9mm the larger ones.

Second target same 1 sec shot spacing. A lot tighter. The SIRT helped me diagnose some trigger jerking issues.

Third target was again 5 yards but double tapping after starting from low ready position. Less that 2 seconds from ready position to fire. 0.5 sec between two shots. The .22 hits started sporadic but stopping, dry firing my SIRT to diagnose movement and trigger issues, and the .22ms tightened up towards the end (within the black). Best of all, once I got to the 9mm's I was double tapping the black consistently even with the added recoil.

I found that I'm now able to hit my point of aim without focusing on the sights. Muscle memory and SIRT dry firing allows me to hit what I'm looking at. Took practice but I'm feeling pretty good about the results.

In short: Glocks rock. Glocks have awesome training accessories like the SIRT pistol and .22 LR kits. And the SIRT pistol is a must have for anyone who considers the Glock their firearm of choice.

YMMV but I just though this post could help a fellow Glock shooter.

In God and Glock I trust.
    wmhawth and miller_man like this.

2. Remove Ads

Are you working the trigger reset as well. I think it would help tighten up those groups a little.... (with the 9mm)
    DetChris, OD* and StormRhydr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Are you working the trigger reset as well. I think it would help tighten up those groups a little.... (with the 9mm)
    Yessir. The SIRT has an uncanny trigger that really mimics the Glocks. I'm working on trigger action daily now. It's a great training tool.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    Yessir. The SIRT has an uncanny trigger that really mimics the Glocks. I'm working on trigger action daily now. It's a great training tool.
    Good. It is something that a lot of inexperienced glock owners fail to do. Keep up the good work....
    DetChris likes this.

Actually with how loud and forceful the Glock trigger reset is, it's pretty hard to ignore it. Got into such a habit of following up from the reset that I ended up struggling with DAO revolvers later that required a full trigger depress to reset.

I'm definitely still working on my groupings especially while shooting at speed. That is where the SIRT and .22 conversion kit can really help.

Its good that you are working with it. It really does make a difference with trigger control. I had a student that did not know what the click was. He had the gun for 15 years. When I showed him how it worked, his groups tighten right up. The look on his face was worth the effort.
    DetChris and blitzburgh like this.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I'm really jealous of what the Glock has on the market, in terms of training tools.

The SIRT is almost specifically designed towards the Glock, in terms of its physical parameters and the trigger.

There are drop-in resetting triggers available to use in the Glock as dedicated training tools, too.

Me? I have to make-do with an airsoft that doesn't quite match the weight balance of my XDm - and has a trigger that's way off.

Yeah. I'm jealous! Green with envy.
    Phaedrus and DetChris like this.

we almost have twin Glock families....

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Best part about Glocks: they all draw, aim, and shoot exactly the same regardless of what model (except the competition models or ones with trigger jobs, but those are only slightly different).
    Hello? That's because they ARE all the same pistol.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    Nice to see others putting in serious time and effort into training (even on a limited indoor range - per usual for me most of the time).

When I decide to get serious getting a training regimen going I put a LOT of time working on similar things - dry fire practice 30 min everyday for a month, went to the range weekly and only shot/practiced with my carry gun for that whole month. I don't have all the toys you do (wanted a AA kit for a while and the SIRT looks interesting) but I still was able to put in the time and effort to greatly improve my shooting abilities.

Now, reloading my own bullets is my tool for training with my glock . Seriously though, I can afford to shoot twice as much, getting twice the trigger time in. I still dry fire practice 3-5 nights a week, along with practice drawing and hopefully will get back out to the monthly IDPA matches. Putting in the work isn't always fun but seeing your groups tighten and skills improve is priceless to me.

Btw, I did incorporate trigger reset into my dry fire practice a while ago and my shots actually opened up a tad, especially first shots - is that odd?/just me? I figured I was getting used to the trigger break without the take up and my first shots were not as burned into my muscle memory. I've went back to just regular dry fire pulls and things got better, maybe its just me but I gave up on trigger reset practice.
    TSiWRX and DetChris like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Hello? That's because they ARE all the same pistol.
    Well there's double stack/slimline, full size/compact/sub-compact, and 9mm/.40/.45/.357sig/10mm. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    ...went to the range weekly and only shot/practiced with my carry gun for that whole month.
    I'm definitely one of those guys who put a lot of value in the "shooting your carry" line of thinking.

After seeing the difference (small though it may be) between my shooting of my HD/range pistol (full size) and my carry (compact, of the same gun), I decided to double-down and buy a spare of my carry, and put in it the same exact parts I have on the carry, so I can really "shoot what I carry," without the worry of putting undue stress and mileage on my carry gun.

Putting in the work isn't always fun but seeing your groups tighten and skills improve is priceless to me.
    +1.

Btw, I did incorporate trigger reset into my dry fire practice a while ago and my shots actually opened up a tad, especially first shots - is that odd?/just me? I figured I was getting used to the trigger break without the take up and my first shots were not as burned into my muscle memory. I've went back to just regular dry fire pulls and things got better, maybe its just me but I gave up on trigger reset practice.
    I think there's a lot of different ways to go after the exercise of dry-fire - as well as a lot of different ways to interpret the results.

To me, dry-firing - just like airsoft, sub-caliber practice, laser trainers, etc. - is but one tool. If you cannot achieve acceptable results using one tool, then it's time to either re-evaluate that tool or its use, or to perhaps seek the assistance of another training tool.

I just recently bought an airsoft copy of my carry pistol so that I can better practice shooting on the move as well as shooting from retention. Those were two things I discovered were weak(er) the last time I was out at a class, and I have specific exercises that I believe an airsoft will help me achieve. I've got a lot of different very high-quality airsoft replicas left over from my younger airsoft days , but I needed a replica of my current carry gun. $200 or so later, I'm now able to get in the solo practice that I would not be able to do at the ranges here where I live.

Like you wrote above, it's an investment.

Glock type airsoft
    LaserLyte Cartridge
    AA .22 conversion Kit
    Full caliber Glock

Use them all and my shooting still stinks.
    TSiWRX likes this.

I really wish I liked Glocks. It would rock to have a SIRT pistol but I'm not sure if it would have any value for me. I have a Nano but all my other guns are run SA/Condition One. It would be pointless for me to practice from the holster with a SIRT since it has no safety. Man, I really wish they made a SIRT patterned after a 1911, BHP, HK USP/P30/HK45...anything I could practice the way I carry.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Grant View Post
    Glock type airsoft
    LaserLyte Cartridge
    AA .22 conversion Kit
    Full caliber Glock

Use them all and my shooting still stinks.
    I really think that it's only because you practice so much that you know how much more you can improve - I certainly think that's why I have the very pragmatic view about my shooting that I do.

After all, how many times have we all been to the range and have seen guys (and gals) who think that they are God's Gift to the shooting sports, only to watch them lay shots on target at 25 yards that fare no better than birdshot with no choke?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links