How do you train on your range outings???

This is a discussion on How do you train on your range outings??? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use state land , so no range officials to worry about. Usually practice some multiple targets engagement at various distances. Also I shoot some ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you train on your range outings???

Lead Moderator
    I use state land , so no range officials to worry about. Usually practice some multiple targets engagement at various distances. Also I shoot some 15 yrd. + distances. This summer will be setting up a walk thru peek and shoot course and may practice some shooting from vehicle stuff too.

2. Remove Ads

Cool

My IDPA club usually specifies the number of rounds and whether or not target is behind partial hard cover so that a head shot is also indicated. You can actually check us out at http://www.tssa.net
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I'm lucky enough to have two ranges to use within ten minutes of my house. The first is a very nice, private indoor range. It has very restrictive rules. So, I use that range for marksmanship practice. 50-foot groups is what that range is good for . . . sight picture, trigger control, follow through . . . This range is literally ten blocks from my home. It is a well-lit, well ventilated and heated, private range. I have the keys and can shoot whenever I want.

The other range is an outdoor range with a 270-degree berm that allows me to do almost anything that I want. The shooting bay is one big 25yd by 25yd area surrounded by berm. Turn and shoot? No problem. Draw, run, multiple targets? No problem. When there, I usually mix up some 5-10 yard work with lots of movement and after-action follow-ups and some extreme close quarters stuff. Starting with the target at just arms reach and moving in to the ranges where my forehead starts touching the target. These drills include ducking, blocking, hitting, and shielding while moving, accessing the firearm and shooting on the move to be followed with after-action assessments. It's an intense set of drills that would make the club officers at the other range go into cardiac arrest if they saw me doing them.

I run IDPA matches once a month and try to always include some malfunction clearing, low-light shooting, and some extreme close range shooting.

Chuck
    When it's time to stomp cockroaches, you don't want to be wearing your fuzzy bunny slippers.

Nice training Chuck. What Chapter of IDPA or rather region are you in?

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

I run matches in Amarillo, Texas. We have a local club here and run about 5 matches per month and I run one of those. Some of the other guys are more sport oriented and tend to run gamier matches that involve high round counts and lots of run-and-gun fun. I try to make mine more like close-quarter civilian gunfights.

What may be more important than range training is the dry-fire drills that I do at home. I've got a "blue gun" (a solid, hard, blue, rubber, exact detail, model of my SIG 226) with a cheap Fobus paddle holster that live permanantly in my living room. When I watch TV, I'll strap on the blue gun and do drills (maybe just as simple as stepping back and offline during a draw to retention/close contact position 10 times left and right) during commercial breaks.

Also, I work out at home using a boxers ring timer shadow boxing, doing calesthenics, jumping rope, and wrestler's drills. The timer gives me ten 2-minute rounds of exercise with one minute breaks. I do knife flow drills and gun CQB drills during the one minute breaks about 3 times per week.

Chuck
    When it's time to stomp cockroaches, you don't want to be wearing your fuzzy bunny slippers.

Pyrolyzer, Wife and I took our dry-firing to the next stage. While at the SHOT Show we picked up a BeamHit 190 system. I will post a review when we get it.

~A
    Last edited by APachon; January 30th, 2005 at 09:39 AM.
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Quote Originally Posted by APachon
    Pyrolyzer, Wife and I took our dry-firing to the next stage. While at the SHOT Show we picked up a BeamHit 190 system. I will post a review when we get it.
    ~A
    Neat! I tried an early version of that in the late-1980's or early 1990's. It was okay but ate expensive batteries quickly and would call something a hit if it was within 15-20 degrees of the target. I'll be eager to hear what improvemetns in technology have done for that.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by APachon

~A

Ive been thinking about something like that Can i ask what ya paid and is it a multicaliber or a fixed caliber

got a great deal on it at the SHOT Show. Walked up with a fistful of cash. Yes multiple calibers. Each additional caliber is $25. We ordered .223 and .44, and .45. IT is good for well over 40yds.

~A
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

A fistfull of cash huh .. Maybe after i get a few more guns ill buy one

We are now looking to buy the 390 system as we can get our hands on a projector.
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

here is info on the 390 system.

the 390 Manual. The options it is capable of are amazing. You can go into a convenience store and video tape the layout and devise a scenario based on your own film footage.

~A
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Ft. Benning Soldiers Set Records with BEAMHIT
    BEAMHIT Press Release

The US Army Infantry Center Significant Activity (SIGACT) report today noted that soldiers of the Infantry Training Brigade set records for M16A2 qualification after training on BEAMHIT Marksmanship Training Systems. In a side-by-side comparison of BEAMHIT with the baseline Army training program, the following results were recorded:

.........................Experts Sharpshooter Marksman First Time No Go
    BASELINE................16............34.......... .....38..............18
    BEAMHITTM............ 32*..........38...............26...............4

*Includes 7 PERFECT scores

The test split one company of soldiers into two groups. Two platoons trained using the standard Army program of instruction (POI). The two BEAMHITTM platoons used a POI developed by the US Army Reserve Small Arms Training Team (SATT). The results showed a 100% improvement in expert qualifications and a 450% advantage in cutting the number of first time NO GO's ('bolo's). The record of 7 prefect scores from two platoons has been described as, "An incredible result" by senior Army representatives.
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links