How I train on the cheap

This is a discussion on How I train on the cheap within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In case you haven't heard ammo is a little hard to come by. I have a stockpile of ammo but not enough to last for ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Sturmruger
  • 1 Post By Superhouse 15

Thread: How I train on the cheap

How I train on the cheap

In case you haven't heard ammo is a little hard to come by. I have a stockpile of ammo but not enough to last for years if I am shooting it all up so I have had to come up with some ways to conserve and get by with what I have. What has saved my butt are the multiple bricks of .22 LR I have. I wasn't hoarding ammo just have been stockpiling for years. Once ammo got a little hard to find I started dipping into my reserves.

I typically start out shooting my Ruger MK3 with a 4 inch barrel. After shooting that for 100 rounds I switch over to one of my carry guns and put about 20 rounds through that.

A typical range day is

Start out .22

1. 15 yards 2 steel plates 4 inch center target double tap each target (aimed shots)

2. 10 yards 2 steel plates 4 inch center target double tap each target (aimed shots)

3. 7 yards 2 steel plates double tap each target (point shooting)

4. 5 yards 2 steel plates double tap each target (point shooting)

9mm or .380 carry guns

1. 10 yards 2 steel plates 4 inch center target double tap each target (aimed shots)

2. 7 yards 2 steel plates double tap each target (point shooting)

What is interesting is if I keep up the .22 practice I notice that I get faster and more accurate with the carry guns. I do use a shot timer for some of the runs to check my draw times and shot splits. I shoot every Wed rain or shine and can honestly say that level of practice has honed my shooting skills to a fine edge. Some days I will also practice some 25 yards shots but those are not as much fun.

Bottom line is both methods of getting bullets on a target make sense you just need to keep practicing and see what works best for you.

2. Remove Ads

I bought my main AR right before Obama was elected the first time. It took me no time at all to buy a .22 Lr conversion kit for it.

I have shot that rifle a lot, but the vast majority of times, it was in .22 converted mode. I also bought an M&P 22 pistol, and use that for most practice.

Like you, I have been buying .22 Lr for years. Even if I could afford to shoot 5.56 out of my AR all the time, I dont know when the next shortage will be, and dont see a big difference in the converted mode as re practice and hitting what Im shooting at. Same with the .22 pistol.

AOK
    I'm glad you have found a way to train on a regular basis while still keeping it affordable.

I do a lot of training home which helps me on many levels. With that said, I too have had to make cut backs if I wanted to still hit the range on a somewhat frequent basis. I used to shoot about 100-150 rounds of 9mm per week. Due to class schedule and wanting to still shoot about once a week still I invested in a .22lr conversion kit for my Glock. Now I shoot about 50-75 rounds of 22lr and 75 rounds of 9's. I don't have a typical training regiment whenever I hit the range. I always come with a game plan on the areas I will be focusing on but it continues to evolve based on things such as areas I feel are weaknesses, learning new material in classes, maintaining/improving various ttp's and more. With that said, I hardly ever shoot more than a single round at a time with the 22lr unless I am shooting from retention. I'm personally not a fan of the lack of recoil versus my EDC but there are still plenty of benefits IMHO.

Also I have to add, good on you practicing outdoor regardless of the weather condition! We don't get to choose what kind of conditions we will be in if we ever have to use a firearm in a fight. In addition, don't completely neglect shooting out to the 25 yard range. I try to shoot out to those distances every trip even if it is just 10 rounds. It's good to know your limitations and it's a fantastic way to focus on your fundamentals of a good site picture and trigger press.

I was told that getting used to a .22 makes you almost forget recoil on your bigger caliber guns. I have an issue with flinching, I was thinking of getting an MK3 however finding .22 in for cheaper than .40 is almost impossible..
    “The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
    - Samuel Adams

Member: NRA, GOAL

Distinguished Member
    Nice, I like your training regimen.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Thanks guys, I am lucky to have a lot of .22 at the moment. I will run out eventually so in a couple of months I am going to need to start shopping for some.

VIP Member
    The shortage has also changed my M.O. on training.

However, I have come up with a very clever alternative.
    I just pay the neighborhood rug rats a nickel, and have them run around with a sign that reads "Bad Man/Woman", and I pull my finger out of my holster and holler, "bang, bang your dead".
    I must be really good, as they seem to fall down, just like in the movies.

On a more serious note, .22 ammo is still, in Michigan anyways as rare as a satisfied wife, so we have resigned to the fact that regular training will be limited for a while.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Do you have bounce back or riccochet issues on steel that close?
    Sister likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Centerfire pistol ammo is becoming more available and I'm seeing it sit on the shelves longer,22 is another story,the Academys here get a trailer on Mon/Wed/Fri and the put the new ammo out at the customer service desk,the doors open at 8am and there is usually about 5 people waiting,most of them are there for bulk 22,and I get a bulk box of 500+ about once a week,but I shoot about 2-300 rounds a week of 22 and around 200 rounds of 9/40/or 45,I reload for around .06 cents a round so it's pretty cheap,the 22 cost me almost as much as shooting the other pistol
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Do you have bounce back or riccochet issues on steel that close?
    I hope you have those plates and supports angled downward
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Congrats on training smart fiscally. But it's the part that comprises about 2% of the business of self defense.

I wish they'd make a 22 conversion for my M&Pc... Or even my LC9... Or even my PX4...

Sad...
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

I reload 9mm and 38Special. About to start reloading 45 though I do not have one. Side benefit of being a CHL Instructor is cleaning the range afterwards. Lots of brass. I reload 9mm for about .18 round.
    Have plenty of stock to shoot and don't have to chase deals plus I trust my reloads more than factory with the care and checking I do.

Links