best use for laser

This is a discussion on best use for laser within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at the range the other day and the guy in the next lane had a laser on his pistol, firing at a silhouette ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By Harryball
  • 3 Post By AzQkr
  • 3 Post By high pockets
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn

Thread: best use for laser

best use for laser

I was at the range the other day and the guy in the next lane had a laser on his pistol, firing at a silhouette target not even 7 yards out. Between mags i would pause and watch his shooting, as i have been considering getting a laser myself and was curious to see how it affected his accuracy. Well dang, he was all over the place! he'd put the dot right on the bullseye, then a loud bang and a hole would appear 12 or 14 inches from his aim point. Plus, he was not even grouping consistently; one shot would be in the lower left corner, the next top center, so it wasn't a question of the laser being mis-aligned. Based on the muttering and groaning i heard, i got the impression he was basically a crappy shot who had gotten a laser in the belief that it would magically enable him put put one bullet after another right through the same hole. I guess my question is, other than the obvious tactical advantage of enhanced target acquisition in low light conditions, what really is the advantage of a laser in training or self defense situations? I can see possibly getting obsessed with chasing that shaky little red dot around rather than focusing on the main source of threat. Seems to me it would mainly be useful as a dry-firing training aid, to see what is happening with the aim point right when the trigger breaks. Any thoughts on most effective use of this device?
    "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by OldandInTheWay View Post
    I was at the range the other day and the guy in the next lane had a laser on his pistol, firing at a silhouette target not even 7 yards out. Between mags i would pause and watch his shooting, as i have been considering getting a laser myself and was curious to see how it affected his accuracy. Well dang, he was all over the place! he'd put the dot right on the bullseye, then a loud bang and a hole would appear 12 or 14 inches from his aim point. Plus, he was not even grouping consistently; one shot would be in the lower left corner, the next top center, so it wasn't a question of the laser being mis-aligned. Based on the muttering and groaning i heard, i got the impression he was basically a crappy shot who had gotten a laser in the belief that it would magically enable him put put one bullet after another right through the same hole. I guess my question is, other than the obvious tactical advantage of enhanced target acquisition in low light conditions, what really is the advantage of a laser in training or self defense situations? I can see possibly getting obsessed with chasing that shaky little red dot around rather than focusing on the main source of threat. Seems to me it would mainly be useful as a dry-firing training aid, to see what is happening with the aim point right when the trigger breaks. Any thoughts on most effective use of this device?
    You do get some benefit in a low light situation. Another would be vision problems. As with everything its has its place, but will not make you a better shooter if your fundamentals are not correct from the start...
    AzQkr, PAcanis and Bad Bob like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    You do get some benefit in a low light situation. Another would be vision problems. As with everything its has its place, but will not make you a better shooter if your fundamentals are not correct from the start...
    Bingo, I recommend them as a training aid, but not to be solely relied on
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I carry one because a. it can help to pick up targets in low light and help get point of aim right . Also it is psychological for me . Maybe there is nothing too but if the bad guy sees that red dot on his torso...

Well that and you ever had a laser pointed in your eye

When I had my LCP I had a laser put on it, basically because the sights are useless at any distance. The laser gave me more consistency at longer ranges.
    Really though, it was more for training to point shoot. I could whip that pistol out and take out a light switch or wall socket at twenty feet every time... or so the laser indicated when I squeezed it.
    And they are kind of handy to have if you ever need to shoot from the hip. Provided it's not snowing or bright outside.

Not to mention they make great cat toys. In fact, they make better cat toys than aiming devices, IMO.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Not to mention they make great cat toys. In fact, they make better cat toys than aiming devices, IMO.
    That's what I found
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I joined the laser crowd a few years ago on a couple of my BUGs. I found when I was training that I wanted to look for the laser dot instead of my front sight. I went back to just night sights on my carry guns.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

IMO...lasers are nice. I get a kick out of watching my cat chase after it. Best stress reliever in the world. Laughing is good!

Navman likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    My 686 came with laser grips. The laser is fantastic for initial training because people can see the dot wobble all over the place when they are aiming and dry firing. It really helps teach folks how to stabilize their grip.

That's all folks.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member
    My cat loves to chase the little red light from my laser. It's become a $99 cat toy. About all it's good for.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldandInTheWay View Post
    Bad shooting is not the fault of the laser, provided it was propetly zeroed like anything else. His bad shooting was more likely the result of breathing or trigger pull. You didn't provide details on how his shooting was off the mark or what he was firing, etc, so I can't say.

A green laser can be easily seen in broad daylight.

A green laser can be an effective non-lethal weapon, but it can cause permanent injury, so beware the lawsuit.

Links