Speed Strips

Speed Strips

This is a discussion on Speed Strips within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my Speed Strips for a couple of weeks now and have done some practicing loading my 642 with them. I can get it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed Strips

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

Speed Strips

I've had my Speed Strips for a couple of weeks now and have done some practicing loading my 642 with them.

I can get it loaded, but I am by no means speedy.

Any good tips on using the strips?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    There is an excellent article on this in the current issue of Concealed Carry Guns magazine by Massad Ayoob
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Quote Originally Posted by dimmak View Post
    There is an excellent article on this in the current issue of Concealed Carry Guns magazine by Massad Ayoob

Ahh Thank you sir!

Can you rip that out and email it to me?

I will look for the mag on the stands. Thx!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

http://www.harrisoutdoorgroup.com/concealedcarry.html

Here is the link. The cover shown is the 2006 issue, you want the 2007, the articles list is at the bottom of the page.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    Ahh Thank you sir!

Can you rip that out and email it to me?

I will look for the mag on the stands. Thx!
    I saw it at the bookstore at the mall while my wife was in Kirkland's, I cant take the "incense" in there.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    http://www.harrisoutdoorgroup.com/concealedcarry.html

Here is the link. The cover shown is the 2006 issue, you want the 2007, the articles list is at the bottom of the page.

Thx for the link!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

VIP Member
    I also have a 642 and just got some speedstrips. I'm not near as quick with them as I am with the speedloader. But the speedloader is of course bulkier and i also noticed the speedloader is scratching my gun. I've read on here to put only 4 in the speedstrip rather than 5. It does make it easier and ya get 4 in pretty quick rather than fighting with that 5th bullet.

Is there such a thing as a moonclip for a 642 or other 5 shot revolver?

Thanks

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I also have a 642 and just got some speedstrips. I'm not near as quick with them as I am with the speedloader. But the speedloader is of course bulkier and i also noticed the speedloader is scratching my gun. I've read on here to put only 4 in the speedstrip rather than 5. It does make it easier and ya get 4 in pretty quick rather than fighting with that 5th bullet.
    It is easier to go 2 by 2 for me. I go 2...2 and then 1. Sometimes I run my snubbie through an IDPA course (just for fun). and find out that I do 2by2 becuase it is faster. I switched to speed strips becuase I can carry 3 for the same space as one speed loader.

i like the speed strip and i have carried one for about 16 years. yes they are not speedy, but they are better than five rounds lose in your pocket.

VIP Member
    I got my speed strips a couple days ago. I dont like them near as much as the speedloader. I think I'll go for the bulk and carry the speedloader , its much quicker.

a kayaker,

The advise given pretty much sums up the speed-strip issue. Better than loose rounds and load two at a time.

I have been looking at Maxfire. This device looked interesting, in theory at least, as it appears to be a cross between a speed strip and a traditional speedloader.

I haven't used them yet but perhaps another member can comment on quality etc.
    Take Care and Stay Safe,
    Ken

NRA Member
    Administrator Integrated Close Combat Forum

REMEMBER What works for you may not, necessarily, work for me. Keep an open mind!

Quote Originally Posted by kilogulf59 View Post
    a kayaker,

The advise given pretty much sums up the speed-strip issue. Better than loose rounds and load two at a time.

I have been looking at Maxfire. This device looked interesting, in theory at least, as it appears to be a cross between a speed strip and a traditional speedloader.

I haven't used them yet but perhaps another member can comment on quality etc.
    Not bad looking. I will do some homework and check the Maxfire out.

Thanks

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck140 View Post
    Is there such a thing as a moonclip for a 642 or other 5 shot revolver?

Thanks
    I found a guy that is milling out a recess in the cylinder of the 642 so moon clips can be used.

I am not a machinest and really don't know how safe that is. Needless to say I am reluctant to let him mess with my 642 and even more reluctant to shoot it afterwards.

Anyone know how safe this is?

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Ive used speed strips for a long time. Worn a few sets out.Dont leave them in the sun, on the dashboard after range time, and next spring when you find the missing ones youve been looking for are cracked or not as stretchy and expect tp be fast with them. But when they are new and soft treat em like the disposable tear off ammo pouch that they are. Two in at a time, twist the strip fast and you can feel the heat in the plastic as it will quicky release those two and put the next two in and tear off. I use a Colt Agent with a shroud from the factory over the hammer. Have lost more speed strips than Ive torn up. Treat em like the high speed loader you want them to be. If they dont hold up someone else will build a better mousetrap like out of silicone or something unheard of yet. I dont think you will be dissapointed how well they hold up when you work them hard. Now not losing them for months at a time....
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links