Drop Leg Holsters: Unnecessary gear for civilians?

This is a discussion on Drop Leg Holsters: Unnecessary gear for civilians? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see many civilians pretty much exclusively train with drop leg holsters. I think your training should be realistic and applicable to your intended use. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Drop Leg Holsters: Unnecessary gear for civilians?

Drop Leg Holsters: Unnecessary gear for civilians?

I see many civilians pretty much exclusively train with drop leg holsters. I think your training should be realistic and applicable to your intended use.

Thanks in advance for watching!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixTS View Post
    I see many civilians pretty much exclusively train with drop leg holsters. I think your training should be realistic and applicable to your intended use.

RE: The bold

I think folks should train with there EDC gear. As far as training with a drop leg, its fun, but if you do not carry that way every day, it is worthless IMO....Another good Video Manny....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

As a civilian, Im not sure what I would really do with a drop leg holster. Ive never worn one, and I probably never will. From what Ive seen, they are used by military, special law enforcement agencies, and tactical Tim wanna-bes on Youtube.
    msgt/ret and manolito like this.

...well, yes, I have seen some TRAIN with a drop leg holster. But thats about it. I have not seen them PRACTICE with one. I had to look to see what part of the country you are in, that you see so many drop leg holster users. I have to admit, Im surprised its CA.

I have a drop leg holster, and love it. Its right up there with a shoulder holster as the holster that gets the least use, but I do love that thing. It puts the pistol at a much more natural hand position, moves with your leg, etc.

Of course, it has some of the drawbacks that you described. Me, I got mine mostly for use ATV riding. Its perfect for that.

As re being disarmed with a drop leg holster.... I dont really see it happening. Mine has level 3 retention on it, and I think most others would as well. The biggest real world danger that I can see is under stress forgetting the retention.

Well done video. Thanks for sharing.

Drop leg holsters are useful if you hike or do other activities with a pack or with cold weather gear. I use a drop leg holster in the winter depending where I am and what I am doing. I would not wear one into town. That smacks of Mall Ninja.
    oneshot, msgt/ret and pittypat21 like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    And Mall Ninjas, don't forget the Mall Ninjas.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    I see many civilians pretty much exclusively train with drop leg holsters.
    orly_owl.jpg

Agree with consensus that it is useful for police/military when wearing body armor. My Agency issues drop holsters when we're overseas; personally I can't stand 'em
    I've invested in my own holsters for the M11/Sig229 carried that get the holster out away from my body armor and keep in on my hip. In my avatar you can see the drop holster...that was my first couple of weeks there and my gear hadn't arrived from the states yet!

VIP Member
    I can see these being very useful for a private citizen
    Hunting , someone that owns a large ranch or property , horseback riding , and for preppers .

I do not own one but would if i had a need
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Honestly I've considered getting one for hiking, because the backpack gets in the way of my usual draw. I'm loathe to carry differently than usual though for some reasons you have stated.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Drop leg holsters are useful if you hike or do other activities with a pack or with cold weather gear. I use a drop leg holster in the winter depending where I am and what I am doing. I would not wear one into town. That smacks of Mall Ninja.

^I'm in this camp here.^^^^^
    I could se myself with one out in the boonies hunting or whatnot, but that'd be it.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Thank you! Well said...

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    RE: The bold

I think folks should train with there EDC gear. As far as training with a drop leg, its fun, but if you do not carry that way every day, it is worthless IMO....Another good Video Manny....

You have good instincts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    As a civilian, Im not sure what I would really do with a drop leg holster. Ive never worn one, and I probably never will. From what Ive seen, they are used by military, special law enforcement agencies, and tactical Tim wanna-bes on Youtube.

What about other Ninjas? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post
    And Mall Ninjas, don't forget the Mall Ninjas.

You'd be surprised. We're at the range every weekend and see a lot. In fact, there are many instructors who exclusively wear drop leg holsters in class.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links