Summarize: best steps for a newbie handgun shooter for learning to shoot competently

Summarize: best steps for a newbie handgun shooter for learning to shoot competently

This is a discussion on Summarize: best steps for a newbie handgun shooter for learning to shoot competently within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you were to summarize the best-practices steps a new shooter should go through to learn handling, safety and shooting competency, what elements would you ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Summarize: best steps for a newbie handgun shooter for learning to shoot competently

Question Summarize: best steps for a newbie handgun shooter for learning to shoot competently

If you were to summarize the best-practices steps a new shooter should go through to learn handling, safety and shooting competency, what elements would you recommend? Consider this is for someone who, say, has firearms experience but not with handguns in the past 20+ years, someone who's seeking to lawfully carry sometime in the next year.

Links to decent videos, books, classes and general tips welcome.

(Acquiring some initial larger gun for practice; waiting until a properly fit gun comes along; dry-fire exercises; lots of basic range time until initial accuracy comes along; formal, professional training; whatever.)
    rcsoftexas and gatorbait51 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

They could take a class, learn a lot, and I could get paid for teaching them.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Practice. Adjust. Practice. Repeat.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I'd say a NRA instructor would be a solid first step. It's my observation that people will receive instruction best when delivered by someone seen to be a pro rather than family or friends. Range and firearm safety first.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member
    Home practice with a pellet gun helps all of us.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    I'd say a NRA instructor would be a solid first step. It's my observation that people will receive instruction best when delivered by someone seen to be a pro rather than family or friends. Range and firearm safety first.
    I agree with an addition that I feel female instructors are best if the new shooter is a female. NOT ESSENTIAL. I never had a female instructor/range officer, but was extremely fortunate to be given tips and assistance by a couple males who understood the necessary adjustments for female bodies to attain maximum balance and gun control.

Lots of practice without first thoroughly learning proper stance, sight alignment, shooting for accuracy (not speed at first) etc. etc. can build muscle memory that is very hard to undo.

I think men can benefit from good instruction also with emphasis on safety, etc.............I dunno................I are not one.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    I agree with an addition that I feel female instructors are best if the new shooter is a female. NOT ESSENTIAL. I never had a female instructor/range officer, but was extremely fortunate to be given tips and assistance by a couple males who understood the necessary adjustments for female bodies to attain maximum balance and gun control.

Lots of practice without first thoroughly learning proper stance, sight alignment, shooting for accuracy (not speed at first) etc. etc. can build muscle memory that is very hard to undo.

I think men can benefit from good instruction also with emphasis on safety, etc.............I dunno................I are not one.
    I have taught several women to shoot, and understand very well what you mean by teaching proper stance and ballance. Some get it right away and some I have struggled with a way to get them into correct form. More so with a shotgun. DR
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Look up personal defense network on you tube they are the real deal very good training videos. Good NRA instruction like others have said.....practice

Attend a basic pistol class. Then get some one-on-one instruction from a pistol instructor with strong credentials and is well experienced in those skills you want to learn and develop. Ask your one-on-one instructor what books or videos you should get.
    Exacto, JMB and gatorbait51 like this.

vigunfighter on youtube has a really good series of videos. get even a cheap airsoft from Wallyworld.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Most important things to get right at first? Grip and trigger control. One handed and two handed. If you dont have that down you will always be swimming uphill.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Summarize: best steps for a newbie handgun shooter for learning to shoot com...

I'd say four things:

Proper two handed grip

Isosceles stance right off the bat

Sight picture and flash sighting practice. Maybe even point shooting.

And trigger discipline/dry fire routines. Learning to exhale before a shot, letting the "shot surprise you", squeezing not jerking the trigger, pulling the trigger right in the middle between the tip and first knuckle joint of your index finger.

These four should get them started. It did for me.

There's a younger guy at work who has approached me about wanting to learn to shoot, buying a weapon, and getting his CHL. Even asked me if I would take him to the Range sometime and teach him to shoot.

I told him I would take him PROVIDED that if he was serious he first take a beginners safety class. I explained to him, that while it would be easy to go to the Range, load up a pistol and start blasting away, that it would do nothing towards teaching him anything about proper safety, handling, and everything else a Certified Instructor could teach him.

I gave him the card for the place that I went to for my CHL class, and still go to today for Advanced Handgun classes. He goes to his first class in a few weeks.

Reading: In the Gravest Extreme, and Stessfire, both by Massad Ayoob.

Training: Research what's offered by Marty and Gila Hayes at the Firearms Academy of Seattle, as well as Massad Ayoob Group, and similar.

Practice: Find a local opportunity to practice defensive shooting competitively, such as IDPA, USPSA or club-level "action" matches the have the shooter moving.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Excellent topic!

Learn which eye is dominant. Stance and muscle memory. Responsibility. Responsibility. Responsibility. never tell!

Cannot wait to read more greater posts on this topic.
    gatorbait51 and Brig like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links